133.625 Den Appch

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
I picked this up in the last few days. Hadn't heard it in use before and I'm not sure if it's a temporary thing for the DNC or if it is in fact a permanent new freq for Denver Approach for the BJC area. Just thought those who monitor civil aviation in the area might want to know about it.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Hmm, wonder why they would do that? Maybe ATC anticipated more traffic than usual? Jeffco huh?

Edit~ Drooped a FCC search http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.htm?job=home and can't seem to find anything. Actually, don't know if I used the tools correctly. :lol: How does one look for ATC freqs.? I've only used it when locating unknown CC's. Checked some procedure plates too! :lol:

If you look at the TFR, BJC is inside it.

Last edited:

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
That freq has been in use for over a year now... I want to get a tour of the tracon so I could ask a controller where its used at.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Doh!

Wow. Don't know how I missed that. I'll have to listen to it more and figure out where it's used. My first impressions are that it's a low altitude sector to the NW of Denver (BJC and NW). Needless to say, I've never talked on it while arriving or departing DEN on the NW or SW gates.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
You would be amazed how many VHF air freqs show up when you set a Uniden scanner to search with autostore for a few hours. Autostore is a great function that is most likely being overlooked by people.

I logged around 90 unique VHF air freqs up here (excluding the airinc block) 3 weekends ago.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber

I've just looked at my brand-new Denver VFR Terminal chart and Cheyenne. I checked a few instrument approach plates for Jeffco and haven't found this freq listed. Might be a handoff freq rather than a callup kind of freq?

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Probably don't have 353.8 either.

Silver

I have 353.8 as KAPA's UHF tower freq. When ever any mil traffic flys in to KAPA and only has UHF, appch calls up KAPA tower, and tells them to turn on their UHF radio. It turns out their UHF radio in the tower is a walkie-talkie and everyone complains to them about it!

Silver506

Premium Subscriber
I have 353.8 in Boulder at +10/S9 on an outside antenna. Hardly comes from a pacset at APA. It is, however, used by them and possibly via a pacset but it is also used by Approach in some capacity too, possibly as a SFA channel.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Sure, I've heard appch patch 118.9 to 353.8 and it came in booming in on my radio. But really, they do have a handheld radio in the tower. I'll take a picture of it the next time I'm up there. Installing a UHF base radio in the tower is in the works, but the FAA isn't speedy ;-)

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Sure, I've heard appch patch 118.9 to 353.8 and it came in booming in on my radio. But really, they do have a handheld radio in the tower. I'll take a picture of it the next time I'm up there. Installing a UHF base radio in the tower is in the works, but the FAA isn't speedy ;-)

So, lately I've been trying to verify APA's current UHF freq used in the tower. It appears they stopped using 353.8 some time ago, AFAIK it's currently used by Denver TRACON. It seems the official charts don't mention any UHF freq(s) for APA, any idea what it might be?

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
So, lately I've been trying to verify APA's current UHF freq used in the tower. It appears they stopped using 353.8 some time ago, AFAIK it's currently used by Denver TRACON. It seems the official charts don't mention any UHF freq(s) for APA, any idea what it might be?

Given that Buckley is only 10 miles away ( a mere spit out the window at jet speeds) perhaps APA can come up on Buckley tower freq? They probably have line of sight from tower to tower so can hear what the other is doing. And likely the mil traffic would be going to Buckley anyway except for a 'can't make it that far' kind of emergency.

My $.02 anyway......

dw2872

Oh what the hell?!!

I thought this was a new thread. Geez. There really should be a rule against this.

Dang it, Nate.

Status
Not open for further replies.