PSR 500/600 Setup for ARMER System

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenFranske

I've recently upgraded from a Pro-2096 to a PSR-600 for my main scanner and I'm interested in having a discussion here with other PSR-500/600 users about programming organization.

First, I must say I'm thrilled at the free-form programming of the PSR-500/600 which allows for mixed numbers of talkgroups, systems and conventional frequencies along with the use of scan lists instead of banks. This is much easier to use in the large digital trunking systems than the old model of using banks of frequencies and sub-banks of talkgroups. While there are some improvements which could be made this is a huge leap forward.

On to the real question. Do you treat the ARMER system as one large system (eg. one TSYS object with lots of control channel frequencies) or divide it into sub-systems (separate TSYS objects for HennepinE/W, Minneapolis, Ramsey, State, etc.)? What are the advantages and disadvantages? For the time being I'm treating it as one large system but obviously I can't put all the control channels in (just the ones I'm most likely to hear). See my current programming file which is attached to this message.

Also, any thoughts so far on MultiSiteMode (Off/Roam/Stationary)? I'm assuming this also might be impacted by whether you treat it as one system or as several.

I can see advantages in treating it as a single system (when units roam onto another system and pull the talkgroup you won't miss them if you have a stronger signal from that system, no need to duplicate interop talkgroups such as the LTAC/STAC/PTAC/FTAC/etc, possibly faster scanning). On the other hand I can see advantges in treating it as multiple systems because I think if you treat it as one system depending on the MultiSiteMode you could potentially lock on to a single control channel (eg. the Minneapolis system) and miss traffic on another system (like HennepinE).

I'd be interested in hearing what others are doing and have discovered. If you're willing to share copies of your programming files for us to look at all the better.

-Ben Franske
K0BEN

Attachments

• Frequencies Sept 2008.zip
    4 KB · Views: 89

baboehrs

Ben,

I have my PSR 500 set up geographically by county with Anoka in scan list 1, Hennepin in 2, etc. I listen mostly as I travel the long commute to work. I treat the ARMER system as one large system with all the likely control channels in the list - that seemed to make the most sense at the time and still probably does. I have tried experimenting with the roam/stat/off and I'm not sure I can detect any differences. I have an external mag mount antenna on the car and it seems to help, but I still suffer dropouts occasionally (even though all the bars are showing on the display). All in all, I really like the scanner and I must admit the recent RNC activities were a blast to listen to! -Bruce KD0EQK

JASII

Memory Capacity
PSR 500/600 Setup For ARMER System

I also have a GRE PSR-500. I think those of us in Minnesota with GRE PSR-500/600s are a small club. I have mainly listened to the Dakota County sub-system on my GRE PSRS-500. I will probably take some time eventually to set up more sub-systems. I have listened to the Ramsey county sub-system a little bit, but normally I am in the Dakota County area and I don't have much interest in listening beyond here, unless it is something on a PTAC, LTAC, etc. I have had some success using the global attenuator when I get drop outs. I, however, will likely set up each list geographically and consider each county as its own sub-system. Have both of you kept current with firmware updates? Also, any new features that you would like to see? I like the unit ID that was added recently, although there is little practical use for most people.

One feature that I would really like to see added is encryption mute. My Uniden Bearcat BCD996T have P25 ENC mute, and, when running under my Butel ARC996, it will mute on its own and then the ARC996 will cause it to resume scanning. I see little vlue in listening to the encryption noise, so I think that adding ENC mute would be a benefit to many people. In fact, make it a selectable ON-OFF function for those people that don't want to use it.

baboehrs

JASII,

I have kept current with updates - that's one of the really cool things about modern scanners. I also have a Bearcat BC 855 XLT that I bought back in '91 when 800 MHz was "new" (as I recall) and it will be the same forever since it's a stupid scanner by today's standards. I agree about the encryption mute. I leave the encrypted channels active, because sometimes I can get lucky. I have heard both encrypted and clear comms on BCA 7. There is just enough info in the clear comms that I can figure out what is happening. -B

BenFranske

Yes, I've done the firmware updates. I can't really say that I've been 'keeping up' with them as I just got the 600 last week. I really do like the scanner though. Unfortunately, I'm going to be out of town later this month for the scanner meeting or I would take it to show others, I think the flexibility is impressive. One of the other big reasons I bought it is that I provide the MSP scanner feeds for ScanAmerica.us and the 500/600 can provide the talkgroup as metadata for the feed which makes it much more interesting to listen to the feed remotely because you can keep track of the talkgroup. I plan to enable that feature on the main MSP scanner feed tomorrow evening when I swap the 600 for the current 2096 which is at the broadcast site.

Status
Not open for further replies.