Berrien County TalkGroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshua80

Last night I was listening to my pro-96 scanner and was pickup up talkgroup 3126.
It sounds like state police out of Niles, but I'm not sure.
Also does anyone know when Niles city is going to digital radios?

jimsokol

Premium Subscriber
This is 11SPEV1, the special event talkgroup on Berrien county. As Rob said, it is in the db. In the past, the law enforcement activity in Niles area (with the exception on Niles city) had been on COM East talkgroup. I've noticed that since the county took over dispatching for some of the agencies in the Niles area on October 1st, that Niles dispatch and post 53 have been using 11SPEV1. Not sure if they are in the process of changing some of the talkgroups as part of this or not.

As Far as Niles City going digital, last I heard they weren't opposed to it, but were waiting on funding.

...jim

garryd451

Pokagon, Michigan, half way between Niles and Dowa
I just got a pro-96 scanner at a auction last month, so I am still learning, but I can tell that the Niles City Police is still on there old Freq. From I heard Jim is right about that they are waiting for grant or a gift to switch over, in fact, there budget is so low this year, they are not replaciing two officers, I read this in the Niles Daily Star, so I am not giving out secret information or saying anything that is not common knowledge.

jimsokol

Premium Subscriber
My understanding is that it is the following:

FD's:
Niles Twp., Bertrand Twp., Buchanan

PD:
Buchanan

Ambulance:
SMCAS

...jim

whacker

My monitoring has been light as of late, so I was surprised to see this thread, and have been trying to tune it and hear what's up.

I'm not seeing TG 3126, but I am seeing TG 13026 (new to me), which I hear mainly Post 53 MSP on. I'm still hearing Buchanan PD on 11 Com East, but traffic is so light generally that it's hard to nail it down. Fire Depts. I couldn't comment on.

Why did things change? Contracts with Niles City come to an end? Unhappy with service?

Just checked the Data Base. Didn't see any Talk Group numbered 13026. Could my BCD396T be displaying nonsense? I always monitor in Search Mode, so I don't miss anything that might pop up. Why exclude anybody? It's not like I'm living in SouthEast Michigan!

Last edited:

joshua80

Berrien county Dispatch

As far as I know Berrien county has taken over dispatch for Niles city.
Talk group 13026 is anew TG for post 53 dispatch
TG 3126 (11SPEV1) was used as a temporary lein channel for post 53.
Buchanan city still uses 11ECOM for dispatch.

whacker

That whole setup in Niles (the "Law Enforcement Center") has always kind of baffled me, as far as jurisdiction and purpose (dispatch-wise), and who "owns" it. I figured radio personnel there were generally employed by Niles City, and they used 11EastCom as their primary dispatching talkgroup (obviously excluding Niles City PD & Fire), covering the areas we were familiar with.

So (just taking a shot here) are the dispatchers in that building now county employees (for the respective agencies), or are the agencies now dispatched by personnel up in St Joe/Benton Harbor using our local Talkgroups? Niles City PD perhaps using their own personnel just for their agencies? Sounds complicated.

garryd451

Pokagon, Michigan, half way between Niles and Dowa
That whole setup in Niles (the "Law Enforcement Center") has always kind of baffled me, as far as jurisdiction and purpose (dispatch-wise), and who "owns" it. I figured radio personnel there were generally employed by Niles City, and they used 11EastCom as their primary dispatching talkgroup (obviously excluding Niles City PD & Fire), covering the areas we were familiar with.

So (just taking a shot here) are the dispatchers in that building now county employees (for the respective agencies), or are the agencies now dispatched by personnel up in St Joe/Benton Harbor using our local Talkgroups? Niles City PD perhaps using their own personnel just for their agencies? Sounds complicated.

I am hearing the post 53 dispatchers now dispatching on North County Freqs., so they must be working out of St. Joe.....

whacker

Hey Joshua80 (and anybody else) -

My radio is a BCD396T, and one of my observations monitoring MPSCS with this rig is the wide variation in audio volume among various major groupings of agencies.

For instance, comparing most existing Talkgroups up 'til now, law enforcement and fire to say, the MDOT trucks, the MDOT Talkgroups are 2 or 3 times louder than the others.

And the new Post 53 TG 13026 is even quieter than the other LE TGs. Anyone have an idea why that is? My own take would be just how the techs set it up, plus a pinch of the MDOT guys really talking loud and right up on the mike.

I know there are issues with the Uniden radio and its AGC capabilities (kind of limited), which I won't go into here. I do have the latest firmware, however.

How is it with your RS radio?

jimsokol

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I have heard SMCAS on 3274. It seems to me like they aren't always on there, so they may be using both VHF and 800. I don't monitor them on VHF to confirm though; they always seemed to be more active than I hear on 3274.

...jim

joshua80

Loudness Of Talkgroups

Can't Really Help To Much, As I Have A Pro96 Scanner.
Tg 13026 Does Seem To Be Quiet.
Do You Have An Agc Function On Your Scanner? (compensates For Low Volume Level On Digital Scanner)
If You Do Try Switching It On.
Does Help A Little.

joshua80

Still Confused On Smcas

I've Programed Both The Digital Tg 3274 And Freq 155.295 For Smcas, And I'm Still Not Getting Anything.
The Last 2 Nights I've Heard The Le Request Smcas For Some Of The Calls, But Never Heard There Dispatch.
Last Thing I Heard From Smcas Was 4 Nights Ago.
There Was A Dispatch On Digital For A Transport To Southbend Memorial.

whacker

I have it written down somewhere, but can't seem to find it.

Other than looking it up in the DB, with a little listening prowess, you'll probably find it's one of the townships up near St. Joe, like Lincoln Twp., or maybe Stevenville-Baroda. That sort of locale.

k8tmk

300 is Benton Township
1200 is Lincoln Township
1800 is St. Joseph Township
6600 is Benton Harbor City
6800 is St. Joseph City

Randy

joshua80

new smcas frequencies

I noticed Berrien Co was updated in the last few days.
among the updates was a new smcas frequency.
what is freq 460.15000 (smcas rf) description of EMS remote link?
and is smcas retaining freq 155.295 for disp, or are they using digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.