• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

wanted help for programming motorola gp68

Status
Not open for further replies.

balou

hello guys i have aquired 5 gp68 from a shop but no manuals
i need help on how to program them
apperently i can program by the keypad

any help or where to find software and cable
software and cable is last resort would like to program them by keypad...

any help would be very appreciated.

balou

im stuck on the freq display i cant get in chanel mode is there a way to do this ..i tried the x key but it doesnt want to go

balou

thanks astro but i did that already...i think i got the programming down but i cant get to chanel mode its stuck on frequency mode...if i could get in chanel mode i could try out the programming.i have 5 of them and all of them are on freq..not sure what im doing wrong here

KB9LIQ

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It's been along time ago that I programmed one of these but is there a jumper inside the radio on those? Sorry if I'm way off here cause I just don't remember for sure.

balou

thanks i got the programming going...
any idea where i can find software for these..the cable i can make one myself

Astro25

The software is really limited in what you can do with it... matter of fact I believe you can do more with the FPP feature on the radio than you can with the software, although it is a royal pain in the you-know-what...

balou

where can i find that software
and also how do i go for repeater programming...i got the simplex going but not for repeater...not quite sure

Josh

The programming software for the radio does nothing for programming of frequencies. All it is, is a tuner and unless your radios are out of specs, then you really don't need it.

-Josh

balou

oki got the programming down but i cant seem to figure out how to put my tx and rx freq for repeater..i have no tones to put just the freq....if anyone can help i would be greatly appreciated

balou

Quick Programming Instructions

1. In Channel Mode, use Channel Selector knob to go to desired channel.
2. Press "X" key to enter Frequency Display Mode.
3. Enter frequency via the keypad.
3. Press "left arrow" key to choose +, -, or NO repeater offset.
4. Press "B" key to set CTCSS/DCS. Channel Selector knob chooses.
5. Press & hold ENTER key for 3 seconds.
6. Press ENTER again to save.
To verify, select channel in Memory Mode. Press and hold ENTER key for three seconds.

Here we go...

1. While in Channel Display Mode, select the channel to program.

2. Press the X key to enter Frequency Display Mode.

3. ENTER FREQUENCY: Use the DTMF keypad. The LCD display will reflect your keystrokes.
NOTE: You only have about five seconds between keypresses, or the unit will revert to the previously-stored information.

If your frequency won't "take," you might need to change the Frequency Step Size. You may choose between 5, 10, 12.5, 20, or 25KHz. To change, press and hold the LOW C key for about three seconds - until the current step size is displayed. Use the Channel Selector knob to choose your desired step size. Then press the ENTER button to store it.

4. SET TX OFFSET: Press the LEFT key to toggle between +, -, or NONE (simplex) TX offset.

5. SET TX and RX PL/DPL TONES: There are 42 PL (CTCSS) tones and 84 DPS (DCS) tones available. Unfortunately, they are not "plain English" in nature - you need to use Motorola's conversion chart to find out that, for example, CTCSS "141.3" is "023" for your GP68.
While still in Frequency Display Mode, press and hold the SQL B key for about three seconds, until the display shows the "rPL" information (e.g., "rPL.023"). Use the Channel Selector know to choose your PL/DCS tone for RECEIVE. Of course, if you desire to receive OPEN TONE, leave the "rPL" setting at "000."

Pressing the SQL B key once more gets you to the - you guessed it! - the TRANSMIT tone setting ("tPL.xxx"). Use the Channel Selector knob to choose your tone.

Either press any key to "set" these changes, or wait three seconds, and the GP68 will revert to Frequency Display Mode automatically.

6. Now that you've entered your frequency, set the offset, and entered your tones, SAVE all this information by pressing the ENTER button for three seconds, until the display prompts you with a "P" before your channel number (e.g., "PCh.01"). If that is, indeed, the channel number in which you want this new information stored, simply press the ENTER key once more - momentarily. Your new frequency will show, and you'll still be in Frequency Display mode.

Press the X key to return to Channel Mode display.

To verify what you have just accomplished, be in the Channel Display mode. The X key toggles you between Channel Display and Frequency Display modes. Rotate the Channel Selector knob to the channel you want to check out, then press and hold the ENTER button for three seconds.

You can check out all the settings...then, if no changes were made, simply press the X key momentarily to go back to Channel Mode display. If you made a change, you will need to press the ENTER key for three seconds again - then again momentarily - as in Step 6 above.

ive been trying to follow this but i dont know where to enter my rx freq

brian1937

how do i switch from frequency mode into channel mode so i am able to program channels. There is currently only 4 frequencies i would like my radio to scan threw but i am unable to program those frequencies in. any help is appreciated

brian1937

hello.
i am trying to program my gp-68. i have channels programmed in. the frequency to listen and the frequency to talk are different and i dont know how to change this so when i push the PTT button, it transmits on the TX frequency and when i let go of the button it goes back to the RX frequency so i am able to listen. if this has made any sence and anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Orion911

oki got the programming down but i cant seem to figure out how to put my tx and rx freq for repeater..i have no tones to put just the freq....if anyone can help i would be greatly appreciated

Hey have you figured it out yet cause I have the same quesstion?

kennec01

Figured it out.

Use the same button you use to set the offset. When you press the left menu button, it changes the offset between plus, minus, plus/minus, and none. Set the offset to plus/minus, then hold left menu key. The display will change, the plus/minus will be flashing and the frequency will change to something else. You will have just a few seconds to enter the tx frequency, then press the enter key.

Josh

The GP68 was FCC accepted for a while, however there was also the "AP73" which doesn't look the same, but is essentially the same radio but made for the states as an Amateur radio product (hence AP and '73).

Status
Not open for further replies.