Onondaga County's New Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
It would appear that Onondaga County and the city of Syracuse are getting a new UHF trunked P25 system in this year. More information can be read at:
http://esp.ongov.net/OCICS/

RUMOR has it that the PSB dispatch center has been moved to the alternate site so they can put the new radio system in there. I can't verify that info at the moment.

Mike
Watertown

D

DaveNF2G

The official website hasn't been updated since last summer. Did the Governor veto the tax bill? Is the county actually going forward with the project?

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
The Web site hasnt been updated since dec 08.The radio system as far as I am aware is still moving forward regardless. The sites are up and the radios are already on hand.
Hopefully we have somone on here that can give us a little more detail and confirm a few things!

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
I tired listening to 13 frequencies last night that I found in the FCC database as being UHF trunked and new, but didn't hear a thing. Not even a control channel. So maybe there will be nothing actually running for a bit until the psb dispatch center is completed?

Mike

Disp46

Premium Subscriber
OCICS Update

The Onondaga County Interoperable Communications Communications System is on track for deployment which was originally planned to be June of this year and has since been postponed until at least September of this year. As for the 911 Center, they have already been relocated to the back-up operations center downtown (11 days) which occurred several weeks ago which allowed the radio vendor to update the primary 911 Center's radio consoles to allow the consoles to operate on the new radio system. They have long since gone back to the primary 911 Center.

None of the P25 UHF site equipment has been installed at any of the sites as of yet so you won't hear any control channels up and running yet as the system is still at staging in Schaumburg. In fact the only thing you may hear on those channels are the incumbants who occupy those frequencies today before they officially give them up for the new system.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for the info Disp46! :cool: If you have any clue what the freqs are going to be could you pass them on? I'm in Syracuse 2 nights a week doing mobile patrol and could listen to the early stages of testing.

Mike

ab2ms

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info, I've been trying to decipher what's going on from the site to no avail. I live just outside the county, but work in East Syracuse so I monitor Onondaga most of the time. Maybe I should program the freqs and see what might pop up.

kg4ekc

Many years ago, late 80's was member of Moyer Corners Station 3. The current chief was a rookie with me. So I watch Syracuse from a far these days. Looks like a nice system they are going to put in.

NYRHKY94

I know this is a bit off-topic, so my apologies to the posters here and the Mods. I wanted to ask if there are any live police & fire feeds for Oswego? I'm originally from Syracuse and my nephew is on the force there. If any of the guys here could let me know, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

KE7FEH

Question

How will the new radio system page out fire/EMS for County Fire Control? I spoke to someone at Nu-Tronics and he stated they will maintain the UHF main frequnecy for paging and simul-cast with the new P25 is this correct? Thank you for your time..

D

DaveNF2G

The Nu-Tronics person is probably correct. Paging on trunked systems is problematic and is not anything like the sort of paging we are used to. The usual solution is a simulcast to an "old-fashioned" paging channel to activate alert receivers.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
Yes your assumption of the paging system is 100% correct. Paging will be a standared two-tone analog conventional channel simulcasted across the county.

KE7FEH

Thank you!!

Hey Folks, Thank you for your quick response to my question. I come home to visit now and again and was interested in knowing that information...Best wishes to all..

ab2ms

Premium Subscriber
According to their site the FCC finally approved the frequency they originally denied that was a slight hold-up. I'm going to figure out the freqs and give a listen to see if they are testing yet. Anyone else checking this system?

NYRHKY94

A bit off-topic, but I was wondering if any of the guys monitoring the Onondaga County or Oswego County areas would be willing to put up a live feed now that Radio Reference and Scan America has made it so easy?

When you look at the NY State map in the Live Audio section, you see a big gap of no feeds at all in either Onondaga or Oswego County. How about it guys!

Thanks!

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Oswego County can't be monitored with any scanner on the market right now, or so I'm told.

NYRHKY94

Are you saying that Oswego County is fully encrypted or using a radio system that can't be monitored (Provoice)? Does that also hold true for Oswego & Fulton PD? I had not heard that or seen that reported on NF2G's Forensic Scannist Pages.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.