Inter mod pager noise gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allan_Love_Jr

Hi everyone.

I just took note that those pagers on the 154.000Mhz to 156.000Mhz are all but gone. I only monitor the Railroad band 24 hours a day. And had found that there is no more interference on the Rail band. This is great news because it had become such a pain lately while trying to monitor the Rail band. Take care.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Well the fact you're using a scanner that has such a huge wide front-end probably doesn't help the cause. Paging is still alive and well in the 150MHz area. Plus you're listening to railroad stuff in the 161 range then you're starting to get more separation, thus why you feel there is less paging noise.

Allan_Love_Jr

Well the fact you're using a scanner that has such a huge wide front-end probably doesn't help the cause. Paging is still alive and well in the 150MHz area. Plus you're listening to railroad stuff in the 161 range then you're starting to get more separation, thus why you feel there is less paging noise.
NO! I scanned the 150's this morning and there is not any sign of the pager noise anywhere.

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
NO! I scanned the 150's this morning and there is not any sign of the pager noise anywhere.

NeFire242 is correct - paging is alive and well, especially for Public Safety, in the band you specified.

I'm willing to bet that something has changed in your RF reception configuration to affect the change you're noticing. Are you talking about the 150MHz. paging local to the Blair area?

Did you, perhaps, enable the ATTenuator feature on your scanner?

73's

Allan_Love_Jr

NeFire242 is correct - paging is alive and well, especially for Public Safety, in the band you specified.

I'm willing to bet that something has changed in your RF reception configuration to affect the change you're noticing. Are you talking about the 150MHz. paging local to the Blair area?

Did you, perhaps, enable the ATTenuator feature on your scanner?

73's
That is correct. The ATT is OFF! I'm running from my Radio Shack Antenna down to my 12DB Amp then to my Scanner. I am not picking up any pagers at all. None what so ever. I swear to it. Because right now I have been monitoring the Blair Fire/Rescue on 156.200MHZ and those pagers should be killing my Radio right now. And that is on one of my older Scanners that is well over 10 years old. Pro74.

Last edited:

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
That is correct. The ATT is OFF! I'm running from my Radio Shack Antenna down to my 12DB Amp then to my Scanner. I am not picking up any pagers at all. None what so ever. I swear to it. Because right now I have been monitoring the Blair Fire/Rescue on 156.200MHZ and those pagers should be killing my Radio right now. And that is on one of my older Scanners that is well over 10 years old. Pro74.

Are you talking about the one on 156.2025? Does your Pro74 actually tune that actual channel in, since it's a 12.5 kHz. frequency, or do you see it as 156.200?

Has your listening range on the railroad channels changed any? Perhaps your amplifier has failed you and is now acting like an attenuator!

It might just be that Blair has moved to another channel for paging, or that their in-town transmitter has a problem and is down.

I think NeFire242 and I were just trying to make the point that just because you're not hearing paging in Blair anymore, it doesn't necessarily follow that paging on VHF has stopped everywhere, as your original post seemed to imply!

73's

Allan_Love_Jr

Are you talking about the one on 156.2025? Does your Pro74 actually tune that actual channel in, since it's a 12.5 kHz. frequency, or do you see it as 156.200?
My Pro92/Pro95/Pro96 will display 156.2025Mhz. I'm sorry. My Pro 75 only displays 156.200Mhz which I am currently using.

Has your listening range on the railroad channels changed any? Perhaps your amplifier has failed you and is now acting like an attenuator!
I don't need the ATT anymore right after I had found this out this morning. Also. I can now hear Trains much farther away. The Amp is new. I tested it and it is working properly.

It might just be that Blair has moved to another channel for paging, or that their in-town transmitter has a problem and is down.
I just talked to my next door neighbor and he told me that Washington Co. just switched to the new Digital P25 simplex system just recently.

I think NeFire242 and I were just trying to make the point that just because you're not hearing paging in Blair anymore, it doesn't necessarily follow that paging on VHF has stopped everywhere, as your original post seemed to imply!
That is correct. There are other parts of the state where the system is still in place.

Last edited:

SLWilson

Ok....

OK.....The big question is then, are you HEARING rail traffic and no paging? Or are you not hearing rail traffic either?

Alpha paging (data bursts, tones and other paging noise) is alive and well here in our little county in Ohio too. And they bleed way up and down the band. They bleed into the telephones (yes, hard wired telephones) and about anything else that has a speaker in it.....

Steve/KB8FAR

Last edited:

Allan_Love_Jr

OK.....The big question is then, are you HEARING rail traffic and no paging? Or are you not hearing rail traffic either?

Alpha paging (data bursts, tones and other paging noise) is alive and well here in our little county in Ohio too. And they bleed way up and down the band. They bleed into the telephones (yes, hard wired telephones) and about anything else that has a speaker in it.....

Steve/KB8FAR
I just connected up my Bearcat Scanner that was in my Truck (House now) and I'm not hearing no pagers. Because this Scanner would pick it up it. As for Rail traffic. Yes. Just this morning I heard a northbound UP Train clear up at Sloan,Iowa on the Sioux City Sub talking to the Dispatcher clear as day. Hope this helps.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Ha ok well tune to 152.4800. If you don't hear anything after a minute, you must not be on the Earth anymore.

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
I just talked to my next door neighbor and he told me that Washington Co. just switched to the new Digital P25 simplex system just recently.

Okay. This could very well explain why the analog paging has ceased in Blair.

Can you get any further details on the "P25 simplex" system? Frequencies, call signs? Is this separate from the Washington County Simulcast portion of the Douglas County (aka ORION) system?

I don't see anything in the RadioReference database about this, but will continue looking elsewhere.

Thanks, and 73's

cm205

Fire/EMS paging for Washington County is/was still done on 156.2025, or at least it was last month when I was in town. It was linked to the appropriate talkgroup on the Washington County simulcast of ORION. Did not know of a P25 simplex system seperate from ORION.

obijohn

Ha ok well tune to 152.4800. If you don't hear anything after a minute, you must not be on the Earth anymore.

Or at least within a 100 mile radius of Omaha...

ATS-"the beeper people" based in Omaha had a 152.480 MHz. transmitter at the Cargil plant near Blair.

I would hazard a guess that it was sick, and finally died, or they may have just removed it. (the FCC database has a transmitter listed there).

Or, depending on your scanner, especially ones with a 10.8 MHz. 1st I.F., 152.480 could have been an
image. You would always hear it if it was strong. And when the TX went away, so did the "interference".

Allan_Love_Jr

Fire/EMS paging for Washington County is/was still done on 156.2025, or at least it was last month when I was in town. It was linked to the appropriate talkgroup on the Washington County simulcast of ORION. Did not know of a P25 simplex system seperate from ORION.
They still talk on this Channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.