My first homebrew antenna. Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlmostHandy

It's ugly as hell, but it works. :p:p:p

It actually works far better than I would have ever guessed.

This antenna is based on the BNC connector from a stock 20-034 antenna. (Some of you may recall this thread, where I violated this antenna, in an attempt to understand the innards more thoroughly.)

It consists of stripped #12 Romex wire, straightened as well as can be expected.

The main element is 19". The two shorter stubs are 6 and 3.5 inches.

It's designed to receive 150/450/800MHz. I was skeptical that it would work on any band, let alone all of them. It's actually shocking how much more clear voices are when there isn't any static. Even Seattle's trunked system come in better with this thing, than it does with my (just over 30 days old :evil:) 20-283 800MHz antenna.

When I was done building it, I actually laughed. I was convinced that this rickety, flimsy, piece of crap wouldn't pick up bird droppings. It was pretty cool when I plugged it in and picked up the WSP for the first time.

I've learned that precision isn't everything, and these systems seem to be quite forgiving. I've also learned that #12 solid copper wire is as stiff as a wet noodle, and I'll be looking for some brazing rods to make the next version of this antenna. I can't wait to start on it. :lol:

Here's a general shot of the antenna.

dsc03462rl4.jpg

Here's a closeup of the base.

dsc03466ls6.jpg

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Nice job!! It is almost identical to my first homebrew, just a different connector, and I had similar results. Brought in faint stuff clear as a bell and new stuff never heard. I ended up making a "stiffer" version too and that is what I currently use for my multi-band base on the tower.

AlmostHandy

I'm not sure how to quantify range, per se, but it's certainly seems better than the small loaded whips.

There are some things I could never hear before.
I'm pulling in WSP from as far north (so far) as Arlington, and as far south as Tacoma. That's pretty sweet.
There are some HAM repeaters on 2M that were full of static before, and they all come in crystal clear. I caught the psrg Ham Net a few nights ago, and that was really cool. I'm really interested in listening to the Hams. Last weekend, I attended my very first ARC meeting at the Mike and Key ARC in Renton. It was pretty fun. Someone gave me a manual to study, and I can't wait to take the test.
I'm also hearing the Seattle Simulcast much more clearly than I do with the Radio Shack 20-283 antenna. The only reason I didn't take it back is because I can't fit this homemade antenna in my pocket, and it's kind of a drag to walk around with.

Wahoos4Life

I'm not sure how to quantify range, per se, but it's certainly seems better than the small loaded whips.

There are some things I could never hear before.
I'm pulling in WSP from as far north (so far) as Arlington, and as far south as Tacoma. That's pretty sweet.
There are some HAM repeaters on 2M that were full of static before, and they all come in crystal clear. I caught the psrg Ham Net a few nights ago, and that was really cool. I'm really interested in listening to the Hams. Last weekend, I attended my very first ARC meeting at the Mike and Key ARC in Renton. It was pretty fun. Someone gave me a manual to study, and I can't wait to take the test.
I'm also hearing the Seattle Simulcast much more clearly than I do with the Radio Shack 20-283 antenna. The only reason I didn't take it back is because I can't fit this homemade antenna in my pocket, and it's kind of a drag to walk around with.
Cool. Do you have it mounted up or just sitting around?

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
It's currently hanging above my desk from a small finishing nail.

That is sweet!!! I have been looking all over for that design put down on paper. I saw it about ten years ago or more when I built my first one and have wanted to pass it along whenever I see somebody on a forum looking for a homebrew multiband, but I could never find it again. It is a little hard to describe but that PDF is perfect!!!!!

I have saved a copy in My Documents so I can pass it on the next time somebody asks.

Hanging on a little nail is how I first put mine up too. Just gettting it built and hanging from the ceiling made major gains in reception. I used one on the balcony of the apartment for aobut four years also before we bought a house with a 32ft tower.

WELL DONE!

ampulman

Question re: lower stub

I have a BNC connector that looks different from yours. From the picture, it looks like the lower stub is actually shorted between the center wire (vertical) and the shield (ground) side.

Am I reading that wrong?

Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.