Kansas Milair Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
There is plenty of military air activity around here but nobody ever posts. I thought I would start one to see if we can get something going.

Who else here listens to milair stuff in Kansas? I've been catching quite a bit of bombing practice on the 316.900 training frequency. It sounds as if they are using laser guided munitions. They talk about "sparkle on and sparkle off" and lasers quite a bit. Most of the activity has been between 6-8 PM. I'm hearing it on an HT in the house here on the East side of the State.

Last week 41.7 was pretty active with Nat. Guard helo flyovers in the evenings around 8-9 pm.

Anyone else?

n0lqt

I enjoy listening to the mid-air refueling tracks over southern Kansas and Oklahoma. They tend to be more "chatty" after they hook up. After all, what else have you got to do other than chat with eachother at 38,000 feet while you take on a a couple of thousand pounds of fuel.....

ksmoscanner

Lots of action to hear in our area.

I used to log all my catches but then I realized how much I was missing so I stopped... too hard to keep up with it all.

A REAPER flight of 2x B-2 is up on 388.85 A/A as I type.

Have heard really good exercises on 280.15 over the OZARK ATCAA in the past.

If you like bombers, this is a good place to be.

Gregg

davidp124

Premium Subscriber
Hi Gregg:

Here are a few more frequencies for the 509th BW / B2s out of Whiteman AFB: 226.900, 393.000, 384.400, 318.050, 300.100. The REAPERs and DEATHs are visitors on training missions to the western Kentucky airspace quite often.

David
South Central Kentucky.

ksmoscanner

Thanks for the info David.

226.9 is a new one on me...any ideas of what it is used for? Just A/A?

Around here 384.4 ( TAD is Unknown ) is their Truman MOA Secondary/ZKC and also is used by the HAWG AR which is within the Truman Airspace. Whiteman A-10's AR here often but the B-2's not as much on that track. What kind of use is it seeing our that way?

318.05 ( TAD-09 ) is CP/Base Ops near the base.....do they use it for A/A out there? Sometimes I catch quick A/A here before they call in with mission info before landing.

388.85 ( TAD-69 ) A/A and A/G

I don't have the TADs for the 393.0 and 300.1. They do not see much use locally. Every so often during an exercise I will hear them with the tankers on 393.0. I do have a couple hits on the 300.1 within the last couple years.

I have been hearing a lot of reference to satcom use by the pilots on 388.85. Seems they use it to coordinate the sat net via A/A and then go there. Last night they decided on SATCOM 6.

295.725 reported satcom uplink use by DEATH flight
299.350 heard by myself in KC possible satcom uplink used by B-2 in area at time.

Gregg

davidp124

Premium Subscriber
Gregg:
226.90 is a squadron frequency which I've only heard a time or two. The 509 B2s never fly very far into our airspace over here but with their altitude being up in the FL350-400 range I can usually hear them for a pretty good distance. I have not heard their satellite uplink frequency.
David

ksmoscanner

Today TURBO72 flight (KC135 McConnell) was refueling CRACK 01 (A-10 Whiteman) on the Spirit Anchor somewhere within the TRUMAN MOA. Contact was made with ZKC and MOA Controllers 260.25 (MOA Primary) and the AR took place on 305.1 ( MOA Secondary). TURBO flight AA 225.500 nothing on the normal VHF AA for the Whitey birds.....maybe they have that new UHF AA radio upgrade...??

Gregg

Buckskinner33

Premium Subscriber
Question on UHF/VHF antennas

I heard the best way to get the best reception for monitoring Aircraft and Satellite frequencies is to have a UHF/VHF Beam set on the flat side (elements ARE Horizontal NOT Vertical). Is this true?

ksmoscanner

I have never tried that before. A simple ground plane has always worked great for me. Anyone else ever tried it? I have a UHF satcom beam and I'll turn it flat tonight and give it a try.

Gregg

Buckskinner33

Premium Subscriber
I have never tried that before. A simple ground plane has always worked great for me. Anyone else ever tried it? I have a UHF satcom beam and I'll turn it flat tonight and give it a try.

Gregg

Let me know how it works out. I'm still puttting together my station and I dont want to be constantly climbing to make adjustments.

ksmoscanner

Interesting listening today...

TORCH 33 and STRIKESTAR on 225.725 around 12:30pm local kc.

STRIKESTAR is a JSTARS E-8 aircraft. Unsure on TORCH but suspect F-15.

Unsure which airspace they are in or transiting to/from

Gregg KC

mancow

Database Admin
Lots of activity right now as usual on 225.500 and 309.300

I haven't found the other players yet unless they are just using civilian aircraft as potential targets which they might be due to the calls of altitudes in the 30k + range. They are working with Darkstar who is calling out targets.

Talking now about setting up targeting with GBU-38s.

Also, the Chinooks (Spartans) are back floating around on 347.500.

Some traffic on 311.00 as well.

N0JRD

Premium Subscriber
Is there much in the VHF area around 149.000? I had a few wrote down but cant find my list.

ksmoscanner

The 442nd FW ( Whiteman A-10's) used to use a few VHF interplane freqs in the 148-149 range. Was very common until they got the UHF interplane set some years back. Not sure how much they use it nowadays.

Gregg

Status
Not open for further replies.