Great Basin National Park Freqs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NVSHMOO

The Frequencies For The Great Basin National Park Are Also Missing.
The Only 2 Frequencies I Have Was When It Was Called Lehman Caves.
163.150 Mhz And 164.800 Mhz Shannon

SCPD

QRT
The most current information I have (2007) shows 164.800 being used simplex, but this listing was in the Great Basin Aviation Communications Plan. Aircraft very often talk simplex only on small units such as Great Basin National Park. I do have an official listing from 1997 that shows 164.800 as output and 163.150 as input. The repeater site shown is Notch Peak with a PL of 127.3. Notch Peak is located north of U.S. 6 about 40 miles northeast of the park in Utah.

Its been 17 years since I stopped there and it was a quick overnight in mid October. We arrived in the late afternoon and left early the next morning on our way to Idaho and Montana on a planned two week camping trip. We ended up "camping" in motels more than in campgrounds as the weather was very cold and rainy. We didn't pick up anything on 164.800. About 8 years prior to that, before I had widespread frequency information for natural resource agencies, I stayed there for two nights, when the National Park Service only managed the much smaller Lehman National Monument, and the surrounding land was part of the Humboldt National Forest. This was earlier, just before Labor Day weekend. Being it was so small the National Monument frequency proved elusive when I tried limit searches.

The Park was designated by the Congress in 1986, incorporating over 77,000 acres of the Humboldt National Forest and the small Lehman Caves National Monument. There should be more radio traffic as a result, but it still isn't a heavily used park, with just over 82,000 visitors in 2007. The highest peak in the park, Mt. Wheeler, at 13,063 feet the highest peak in the Snake Range and second highest point in Nevada, has a small glacier on its north side, the only one in the state. There are some backpack trips I would like to take in Great Basin NP as well as over in the Ruby Mtns. Both ranges have glaciated terrain, lakes, very dark night skies, and wonderful remoteness.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I just found some old printed information that came from a website called "Cape Canaveral," believe it or not. It shows the repeater to be in King Canyon, a name I can't find on my nationwide topo software, with 164.800 out/163.150 in and 127.3 as the PL. A call sign of KOJ764 is listed. The source of this information is shown as only "DOI '95." It also states "separate VHF system for inside Lehman. Antenna system inside the cave. Ranger described as separate channel on the radios for inside the cave." It goes on to say that a separate list that showed Lehman Caves only has 171.750, 172.450, and 172.675 on it.

If my wife and I get jobs and can stay in Mammoth or the eastern Sierra, maybe we should make a trip over there and figure this thing out. Let's see, right now we have the time but no money, and if we get our wish, we will have money and no time. One of the greatest dilemmas of life!

Last edited:

NVSHMOO

The Last Time I Was There (1991) I Also Heard The Humboldt National Forest
Repeater 171.475 Mhz From There (i Dont Know The Input Frequency) Also
Blm Cedar City Utah And Ely Nevada Repeaters Shannon

SCPD

QRT
Up until 3-5 years ago the Humboldt National Forest did not use CTCSS to select repeaters. Field units accessed repeaters by switching to channel 2. If they were in a location where the coverage of two or more repeaters overlapped then "repeater wars" would result. When the dispatcher used repeaters the result would be the same. Typically this occurred when dispatch read the weather or made an announcement. When I first arrived on the Toiyabe National Forest in 1981 (the Humboldt and Toiyabe were separate forests) the radio system was set up the same way.

In 1987 and 1988 the Toiyabe replaced the ancient radio system with one that consists of a microwave backbone, UHF links to repeaters, and tone accessed repeaters. A portion of the microwave backbone is Forest Service built and owned, and a portion utilizes the State of Nevada microwave system.

As far as I know the Humboldt NF now ties in with the state's microwave system. They must have replaced their system and added tone accessed repeaters about the same time. Somewhere I have information about the repeaters and their tones. One of these decades I will take the time to submit this information for the database.

gvranchosbill

I looked in my 1994 information and i found these freqs
i dont have any idea if these are any good
Great Basin National Park Baker,Nv

163.1500 KOJ764 CH-1 Rangers
168.3500 KOJ764 CH-2 Interagency Common

Region-10 Western
169.6750 XXXXX CH-1 Region Fire/Project Direct
169.6750 XXXXX CH-2 Region Fire/Project Repeater (Input 166.7750)
169.7500 XXXXX CH-3 Region Fire/Project Direct
169.7500 XXXXX CH-4 Region Fire/Project Repeater (Input 166.8500)

163.1000 KA2XJP

027.5750 CH-1 Utility Portable
027.5850 CH-2 Utility Portable

040.0700 CH-1 Archeology & Surveys
040.2100 CH-2 Archeology & Surveys

silverspy

Thanks much. Information seems to be rather scarce anymore for National Parks, especially the smaller, lesser well known or less frequently visited ones. I haven't been out there for about 13-14 years or so. The last working frequency that I had was 164.800, but last time there I didn't hear any activity on that frequency.

ecps92

My East Coast experience has been,

a. the smaller parks may or may not have radios.
b. activity on the radio might peak at opening and closing
c. might be shared regionally with a larger park

MY Local NPS only just got onto VHF, when they added Trollys
Other than that, there was no Radio use, except the LE folks out of Boston

I would suggest, folks spend sometime in Search ( weeks of search) and see what they find. With the USPS, and other agencies moving frequencies around, it is only upon a major event that folks begin to search

Thanks much. Information seems to be rather scarce anymore for National Parks, especially the smaller, lesser well known or less frequently visited ones. I haven't been out there for about 13-14 years or so. The last working frequency that I had was 164.800, but last time there I didn't hear any activity on that frequency.

ME801

It's a very quiet park, radio wise, but they have 5 frequencies that they use. But most of the radio traffic of any interest is on the County Fire (White Pine County FD) frequencies. WPCFD Kings is RX 159.180 narrow analog.

silverspy

Thanks. Do you happen to know what the 5 frequencies are? Or is it possible that you could PM them to me. I've been looking for a long time for the new frequencies for this Park. So far, no luck. Thanks again 😀

SCPD

QRT
My East Coast experience has been,

a. the smaller parks may or may not have radios.
b. activity on the radio might peak at opening and closing
c. might be shared regionally with a larger park

MY Local NPS only just got onto VHF, when they added Trollys
Other than that, there was no Radio use, except the LE folks out of Boston

I would suggest, folks spend sometime in Search ( weeks of search) and see what they find. With the USPS, and other agencies moving frequencies around, it is only upon a major event that folks begin to search

a. Great Basin includes the old Lehman Caves National Monument. This National Monument had a radio system that dates back to the 1960's IIRC. At 77,000 acres, with much of it designated wilderness, Great Basin is not a small park and radio is essential for all of it.
b. This park does not close. Lehman Caves, as a small feature, does open and close. But I doubt this generates much radio traffic as entry to the caves is by tour only.
c. There aren't any nearby and larger parks, the closest likely being Lake Mead National Recreation Area. I think Lake Mead does their dispatching though. Last time I saw any info for this park they had two Type VI engines and a fire management officer. I don't remember if both Type VI's were staffed full time, it might have only been one.

Your last sentence contains the abbreviation "USPS." I'm not sure if you are referring to the National Park Service. After a career in the National Park Service I've always seen this reference the "U.S. Postal Service" and never the National Park Service. I agree with you that frequencies are being changed more often than not to meet the 2019 deadline for agencies to comply with the NTIA redbook directives concerning frequency use in the fed's VHF band.

SCPD

QRT
It's a very quiet park, radio wise, but they have 5 frequencies that they use. But most of the radio traffic of any interest is on the County Fire (White Pine County FD) frequencies. WPCFD Kings is RX 159.180 narrow analog.

What would White Pine County have to do with Great Basin National Park? I would assume that the only traffic related to the park on this frequency is if the USFS, NPS or BLM asked the local volunteer fire departments for mutual aid on federal public lands.

ecps92

Yes, a typo, should have been USFS :cool:
a. Great Basin includes the old Lehman Caves National Monument. This National Monument had a radio system that dates back to the 1960's IIRC. At 77,000 acres, with much of it designated wilderness, Great Basin is not a small park and radio is essential for all of it.
b. This park does not close. Lehman Caves, as a small feature, does open and close. But I doubt this generates much radio traffic as entry to the caves is by tour only.
c. There aren't any nearby and larger parks, the closest likely being Lake Mead National Recreation Area. I think Lake Mead does their dispatching though. Last time I saw any info for this park they had two Type VI engines and a fire management officer. I don't remember if both Type VI's were staffed full time, it might have only been one.

Your last sentence contains the abbreviation "USPS." I'm not sure if you are referring to the National Park Service. After a career in the National Park Service I've always seen this reference the "U.S. Postal Service" and never the National Park Service. I agree with you that frequencies are being changed more often than not to meet the 2019 deadline for agencies to comply with the NTIA redbook directives concerning frequency use in the fed's VHF band.

kd7ckq

Last info I have for them is from a 2014 document.

NPS Great Basin Rpt
Rx Tx Tone 127.3
Rx 164.8000 Tx 163.1500 ANALOG

ME801

What would White Pine County have to do with Great Basin National Park? I would assume that the only traffic related to the park on this frequency is if the USFS, NPS or BLM asked the local volunteer fire departments for mutual aid on federal public lands.

The park shut down their Fire Dept (structure fire operation) and transferred their engine to White Pine County FPD and signed an MOU. All emergencies within the park are handled by County Fire. EMS is under County Fire Chief.

Status
Not open for further replies.