Recording Server rackmount setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kblazk

This is my radio recording server that i have setup. Computer has 4 sounds cards and at the current rate I can record over 50 years of traffic.

- 7 foot relay rack
- 4x Kenwood TM271A radio's
- 1.5ghz Windows 2003 server with 160GB hard drive
- APC Battery Backup
- 70 foot of LMR-400 coax running to roof with 5/8 wave antenna
- ftp access for public listening
- current cost around $1500

Am only currently recording FIRE/EMS/EMA and fourth radio is the feed for Crawford County, OH scanner on scanamerica.us

Attachments

• rack1.jpg
    rack1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 4,019
  • rack2.jpg
    rack2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 3,659
  • rack3.jpg
    rack3.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 3,494

jpryor

Very Nice! Much cleaner than my collection of servers and random scanners that I use to provide for my feeds at Scan America.

I like how you've chained all four radios together for the antenna connection.

What software are you using for the audio recording?

Have you determined how long your backup battery power lasts? Does the backup battery power everything including the power supply for the radios?

kblazk

Very Nice! Much cleaner than my collection of servers and random scanners that I use to provide for my feeds at Scan America.

I like how you've chained all four radios together for the antenna connection.

What software are you using for the audio recording?

Have you determined how long your backup battery power lasts? Does the backup battery power everything including the power supply for the radios?

Software I'm using is Multichannel Call Logger and Audio Recording Software

Battery backup powers everything in the rack for about 45 minutes.

APEXNext

Premium Subscriber
I like your set up but I have 1 question? Why are you recording all the radios? Just wondering thats all.

kblazk

I like your set up but I have 1 question? Why are you recording all the radios? Just wondering thats all.

I started doing it so that I could go back later and get the times and addresses for doing our run reports. Dispatch was getting pissy with everyone calling on over the air asking for run times, onscene time, page time etc so this keeps from having to bother them, they are busy enough. Also works good for diagnosing raido problems with the trucks.

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
You would be correct, and I do believe the other box next to the sever and the 12v radio power supply is a battery back up in case of power failure.

Hope this helps.

ResQguy

Meh
Nice setup, but if youre only recording and not transmitting why not to use 4 cheap scanners instead of 4 radios??

Probably because the TM271A is a great VHF radio that is under $200 brand new. You can't even get the BCT15 for that!

Nice setup!

spinnaker813

I know this is an old thread.

I was wondering what kind of sound cards you are using for this setup. Trying to do something similar for a field deployable unit to record radio traffic on scene.

N8IAA

I was wondering what kind of sound cards you are using for this setup. Trying to do something similar for a field deployable unit to record radio traffic on scene.

Being that the OP hasn't been on for almost a year, hard to believe that you will get an answer.
Larry

sfd119

USB soundcards will work fine. I have four of them on a PC recording my radio traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.