problem with Starcom

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I live in Adams County and not far from a couple of starcom towers. Problem is I get no signal on fowler tower and maybe 2 bars on mendon tower. Fowler tower is closer you think I would pick it up better. When I first got this 996 and lived farther away I would get fowler almost full scale on a 800 mhz antenna and lived down in a valley. Now I'm on higher ground and closer can't even get a signal on my scantenna even tried the 800 duck but no good. What is happening here? I have 2 trucked sytems in town and it picks them up fine.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Is it possible that the Fowler tower has changed frequencies?

If you or someone you know runs Pro96Com on nearby towers see what the control channel is reported on that tower (it should show up as a "Neighbor").

timmer

You may need a different antenna. The scantenna is not too great on 800 mhz. You may need an antenna designed for 800 mhz such as the DPD productions yagi antenna for 700/800 mhz. Point it in the direction of the tower you want to monitor for best results. I don't know what happened to your signal but some of those towers are directional. With you being right at the western edge of the state, I'm guessing the towers around there are pointed to the east, south and northeast. They probably are not designed to cover anything into Missouri. Maybe they changed or "tweaked" them after Starcom got up and running and that is why your signal disappeared or got worse.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
Is it possible that the Fowler tower has changed frequencies?

If you or someone you know runs Pro96Com on nearby towers see what the control channel is reported on that tower (it should show up as a "Neighbor").

No the frequencies are the same and the control channel on site 012 is 866.875 I can hear it fade in and out with no signal. I buddy of mine can hear it better than me on his GRE 500 full strength and he is farther away. I have tried everything and nothing thought maybe att was on and it was off. Must be my 996!!

I did my first firmware update after I moved but don't think that would make a diffrence.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
update: I have a cheap micro magmount antenna so i just plugged it in the 996 and now get 1 bar on site 012 Fowler tower with no fadeing but can't pickup Mendon tower now which did have 2 bars.

I also have noticed over the winter the colder it got the better signal I would get on starcom!

timmer

Wow that is weird. I guess it could be the scanner. I've heard some people say that the gre's are better than the unidens. Maybe that's it.

jamesa53

Problem with Starcom

Hi:

I have the same problem that you do.

I have both a Pro 162 (analog) and a Pro-106 (GRE PSR 500). Both of these scanners will pick up the Clear Talk -- Illinois Cooperative Association - Motorola Type II 800 MHZ (analog) in Edgar County (the antenna is about 20 miles out) but I dont hear anything from the Starcom 21 tower in Edgar County (same distance roughly) on the PRO-106 (and I wouldnt hear it on the PRO-162 anyway).

I have left the PRO-106 on for 2 days and have no hits at all on the Starcom 21 talkgroups (ISP). I am also monitoring another Starcom 21 tower for Clark County (again the antenna is about 20 miles away) and hear nothing on that Starcom 21 either, same deal, no hitcount on the ISP talkgroups.

I have heard that the Starcom 21 towers only output about 100 watts. However, the NOAA site in Paris (Edgar County) which is at 100 watts comes in very clearly with no problems. Maybe because its VHF HI has something to do with it.

I am able to hear traffic from towers from as far as 30 miles on Indiana Project SAFE-T.

I am using the RS 800MHZ rubber duck antenna for the PRO-106.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I'm only like 5 miles from a tower and get no signal. But before I moved I was farther away from this same tower and down in a valley plus only had a rubber duck 800 mhz antenna and it was from half scakle to full scale. This just don't make since here. My friend said he can pick it up on his GRE and he is farher away from the tower.

CowboyG

Hey All, I just received my new BC346XT, programmed everything; but don't here StarCom21. Is this because it's a digital system and the BC346XT is non digital??

N9JIG

Sheriff
Hey All, I just received my new BC346XT, programmed everything; but don't here StarCom21. Is this because it's a digital system and the BC346XT is non digital??

That is correct, the 346XT will not work on any StarCom21 site, you need the 396XT instead.

jamesa53

Problem with Starcom 21

Yes, but you know, if I live 20 miles from the tower and cant receive a signal, how about a trooper on a portable that needs assistance? Isnt it a problem if the towers are directional? What if an Illinois trooper had chased a car into Indiana, and the towers are pointing the signal to the west away from the Indiana border, then I guess he (she) is out of luck as far as communication? Sounds like a poorly designed system, IMHO. Even the old FM Clark County repeater comes in well in Terre Haute.............but not Starcom 21..............

N9JIG

Sheriff
For one there is supposed to be some sort of interconnect between the StarCom21, SAFE-T, Michigan's and Ohio's statewide trunked systems. I have not heard if it was yet operational or not but it was supposed to allow radios from the neighboring states to have some sort of communications on the other systems.

In addition, all State StarCom21 radios have ITACS channels in them so they can use those channels as needed. Plus they all have ISPERN, the same channel they would have used when ISP was on VHF before StarCom21.

Yes, but you know, if I live 20 miles from the tower and cant receive a signal, how about a trooper on a portable that needs assistance? Isnt it a problem if the towers are directional? What if an Illinois trooper had chased a car into Indiana, and the towers are pointing the signal to the west away from the Indiana border, then I guess he (she) is out of luck as far as communication? Sounds like a poorly designed system, IMHO. Even the old FM Clark County repeater comes in well in Terre Haute.............but not Starcom 21..............

CowboyG

Good morning Rich,
Thanks for the response. I thought that was the case; but wanted someone to confirm I wasn't going blind reading all the boards about StarCom21. Ohh well, guess I have to wait for Christmas for another new radio.
Thanks again

jamesa53

Problem with Starcom 21

For one there is supposed to be some sort of interconnect between the StarCom21, SAFE-T, Michigan's and Ohio's statewide trunked systems. I have not heard if it was yet operational or not but it was supposed to allow radios from the neighboring states to have some sort of communications on the other systems.

In addition, all State StarCom21 radios have ITACS channels in them so they can use those channels as needed. Plus they all have ISPERN, the same channel they would have used when ISP was on VHF before StarCom21.

There is interconnect where I live. They call them on the phone. As you sumised, none of the radio interconnect between states, if it is planned, is working here.

If the Starcom 21 radios cannot contact the towers, its irrelevant as to what channels are in them.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I would check the radios BNC Connector..sounds like there might be a problem there

The other 2 trunking systems work ok with could signal here. Starcom is just hard to pick up. There is like 4 towers around here. Fowler, Mendon, Warsaw and Kingston, My buddy picks them up on his GRE500 and scanantenna.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
found my problem but not sure how to deal with it. I have 2 towers about 2 blocks from me one is registered to Nextel which is probably cell phone tower. Anyway I'm getting a signal off that tower blocking my 800mhz P25 receive. Anyone witha ideal how to deal with this?

N9JIG

Sheriff
found my problem but not sure how to deal with it. I have 2 towers about 2 blocks from me one is registered to Nextel which is probably cell phone tower. Anyway I'm getting a signal off that tower blocking my 800mhz P25 receive. Anyone with a ideal how to deal with this?

2 sticks of dynamite should take care of the Nextel tower...:p

Seriously though, try using a directional antenna pointed either towards the StarCom21 tower or, if it is in line with the Nextel tower, try pointing it off-line from them until you hear the StarCom21 site better.

I had a similar issue trying to hit a distant tower and used a beam antenna. I moved it off path until I was able to hear the more distant tower that I wanted.

ERICMYERS

Up here in chicagoland, simulcast is a challenge. Directional antenna (homebuilt yagi) was the solution for me, after much trial and error. To Rich's point, sometimes pointing a few degrees away from directly at the tower can be better (is for me). there are a few threads by Phoenixscanner on the forum about that too. Starcom is definitely a challenge.

A notch filter might help too with that much signal so close.

kimlovesjr

I have the same scanner but don't know how to program it.........

I live in Quincy Illinois and recently got the same scanner and I have no idea how to program it. I called Uniden but they more less told me it would be unfair to take up so much time taking it step by step. They did tell me they could program it for me but it would cost $95. To me that is a little outrageous. If you wouldn't mind giving me a call and maybe you can help me figure it out. If you would consider calling me the number where I can be reached is 217-740-4109, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.