Yaesu: Ft-8900

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob_K

Feed Provider
Good afternoon,

I'm new to the hobby and passed my tech exam 2 months ago or so. I picked up an ft-8900 last week and I'm looking to get it up and running.

Initially I'm going to hook this up in my vehicle. I know there is an antenna made by Diamond specifically for this radio and based on reviews, it seems to do an OK job on the 4 bands it covers. I'll probably drill another hole for an NMO mount in the roof.

I'm mostly interested in the 70cm/2m bands but I don't want to limit myself by purchasing only a dual band antenna. On the other hand, I'd like to have one that does pretty good on the 70cm/2m for my vehicle and if I decide to move it in to my home, perhaps then I'd be interested in something to cover all bands.

Also, I'm probably going to need a power supply for my home at some point. I have a Pyramid PS12KX but, that only does 10a continuous/12 surge. Any recommendations on what I should look at?

Thanks!
Rob

Bill_White

How many antennas do you want to use?
If you want to get away with using one, your options are limited.
Comet UHV-4 Mobile Antenna
Diamond CR8900A Antenna
This will give you more bands by swapping coils.
Diamond HV7A Mobile Antenna
And this one by changing the tap point.
Opek HVT-400B Mobile HF VHF UHF Antenna

Another option is to use a duplexer or triplexer.
Something like the Comet CF-706A
Comet Duplexers and Triplexers
would allow you to use one antenna for 10 and 6 and another for 2 and 440.
Don’t forget technicians don’t have privileges to use FM on 10 Meters.

According to the specifications the 8900 draws 8.5 amps while transmitting using high power.
Yaesu FT-8900R Specifications
Your Pyramid PS12KX should have no problem running just the 8900.
If you are going to upgrade, I recommend Astron.
Astron Power Supplies
The RS35M will provide enough power to run a modest shack.
I currently have 8 scanners, 3 HF rigs, and a few other accessories connected to mine and it doesn’t break a sweat.
It’s built like a tank and will probably outlast me. R&L Electronics has a couple on the used list for $135.00.
R&L Electronics 800-221-7735

Rob_K

Feed Provider
hmm. I guess I'd be ok with 2 antennas. I think I kind of like the idea of purchasing a 70cm/2m antenna (since those are my primary needs) and then in the future i can add a duplexer and another antenna when I look to play with 6m.

Glad to hear my power supply is OK to use. I actually have the next model up which 12/14a. This will save me a few bucks when I'm getting started and I can upgrade in the future.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I appreciate it.

-Rob

Rob_K

Feed Provider
Well, I'm still in search of an antenna. I purchased a Diamond and Comet Quad band but, both were too large to mount on my roof. I also didn't realize the Diamond wasn't a NMO mount.

I was going to pickup a Maldol EX-510 from the local radio shop but they sold the last one and can't tell me when they are going to get another one in.

I've ruled out finding a Quad band that can go on my roof and I can't locate a tri-band either. The Maldol is the only tri band that is a good size for the roof.

Any suggestions or should I just purchase a dual band? 2m and 440 are my primary needs but having 6m available would have been nice.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited:

fineshot1

I have a comet mobile triband SB-14 for 2m/6m/70cm and it works great. I also run 10mtrs
with a separate antenna(an old motorola low band) and find running 10mtrs separately works
very well also.

Rob_K

Feed Provider
I have a comet mobile triband SB-14 for 2m/6m/70cm and it works great. I also run 10mtrs
with a separate antenna(an old motorola low band) and find running 10mtrs separately works
very well also.

I should have mentioned I'm looking for something to put on the roof of my Tahoe. I Tried the the EX-510B but I was afraid it was too tall for the roof of an SUV. I also need something that is an NMO as I've already installed the mount in my roof.

Thanks,
Rob

fineshot1

I should have mentioned I'm looking for something to put on the roof of my Tahoe. I Tried the the EX-510B but I was afraid it was too tall for the roof of an SUV. I also need something that is an NMO as I've already installed the mount in my roof.

Thanks,
Rob

Just how short do you need it to be? You are going to have trouble finding either a triband or
quad band antenna any shorter than the SB-14 43 inches and still perform well. You must
remember that any multiband antenna is a compramise in performance especially when its
3 or 4 bands and in view of this the SB-14 excells at performing.

EDIT: Most of the Comet line are NMO or can be ordered in NMO.

Rob_K

Feed Provider
The height isn't a huge issue. I've been using a mag mount 2m that is as tall if not taller than the Comet. The issue with the height is if I hit something, it is going to rip the NMO out of my roof. The Maldol is a much "lighter" antenna that will be more forgiving if I hit something.

Do you follow my dilemma?

-Rob

fineshot1

Just how short do you need it to be? You are going to have trouble finding either a triband or
quad band antenna any shorter than the SB-14 43 inches and still perform well. You must
remember that any multiband antenna is a compramise in performance especially when its
3 or 4 bands and in view of this the SB-14 excells at performing.

EDIT: Most of the Comet line are NMO or can be ordered in NMO.
2nd EDIT: I was wrong above - the SB-14 is a PL-259 connector mount and would
require an adapter for NMO.

N2JBO

I use the Diamond HV-7A with my Yaesu FT-8900R. I have the antenna mounted on the side
at the back corner, of the driverside of my hood, on my 1999 Ford Eddie Bauer Explorer.
Installed the radio without drilling a single hole in my vehicle, my setup work flawlessly.

73 de Dave

Rob_K

Feed Provider
I use the Diamond HV-7A with my Yaesu FT-8900R. I have the antenna mounted on the side
at the back corner, of the driverside of my hood, on my 1999 Ford Eddie Bauer Explorer.
Installed the radio without drilling a single hole in my vehicle, my setup work flawlessly.

73 de Dave

Do you happen to have any pictures of your antenna installation? Wouldn't mind seeing the entire setup too =)

Thanks,
Rob

ka4gfy

If you interested primarily in 2 meters/70 cm, you should look at the Larsen NMO-2/70. I have used one for over 20 years on 5 vehicles without a problem. They are practically indestuctable.

Take a look at K0BG's website on mobile radio installations. Its a great website with lots of information along with pages and pages of pictures of installations. The address is Welcome to KØBG's Web Site.

Welcome to ham radio!

Rich, KA4GFY

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I know this is an old thread but everything mentioned is still available. The Comet SB-14 is now an SSB-14 according to the dealers. Is there any reason for adding the extra S and has anyone tried the new one?

I have the Diamond 4-band antenna but I'm not interested in 10 meters and the antenna is only slightly shorter than Wilt Chamberlain. It's UHF mounted on a '16 Sorento. Would it be worth it to switch to the Comet antenna?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you aren't going to use 10 meters, you may have some other options....

Using a diplexer, split the antenna feed out so you have a UHF feed and a 2 meter, 6 meter feed.

For UHF, use a dedicated UHF antenna, it'll work well.

For VHF and 6 meters, you can use a single 2 meter 5/8th's wave antenna. The 2 meter 5/8th's wave antenna is 1/4 wave on 6 meters.

That'll lower the profile and make it easier to set up the antennas the way you want.
A simple 1/4 wave 70cm antenna will be a little over 6 inches tall.
A 5/8th's wave VHF will be around 4 feet tall, but it's a thin whip.

So, yeah, two antennas, two mounts, but it gives you a bit of flexibility. Sometimes trying to put all the bands into one antenna ends up with funky radiation patterns that don't always give you the best performance.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
If you aren't going to use 10 meters, you may have some other options....

Using a diplexer, split the antenna feed out so you have a UHF feed and a 2 meter, 6 meter feed.

For UHF, use a dedicated UHF antenna, it'll work well.

For VHF and 6 meters, you can use a single 2 meter 5/8th's wave antenna. The 2 meter 5/8th's wave antenna is 1/4 wave on 6 meters.

That'll lower the profile and make it easier to set up the antennas the way you want.
A simple 1/4 wave 70cm antenna will be a little over 6 inches tall.
A 5/8th's wave VHF will be around 4 feet tall, but it's a thin whip.

So, yeah, two antennas, two mounts, but it gives you a bit of flexibility. Sometimes trying to put all the bands into one antenna ends up with funky radiation patterns that don't always give you the best performance.

That sounds like it's doable and not terribly expensive but a real pain in the kiester. I may give it a try.

I have 10 meter capability on the radio. Is it worth messing with?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I know this is an old thread but everything mentioned is still available. The Comet SB-14 is now an SSB-14 according to the dealers. Is there any reason for adding the extra S and has anyone tried the new one?
I'm not sure it ever was SB-14. Comet has been using the "SBB" prefix for some of their mobile antennas for several years and SBB-14 appears on their web site. That said, I'm skeptical that a 43" long antenna will be all that efficient on 6m. Comet seems to agree as they list that antenna as having 0 dBi of gain on 6m. That's worse than a quarter-wave over a good ground.

I have 10 meter capability on the radio. Is it worth messing with?
In my opinion, unless there's a 10m FM repeater that you want to work, I wouldn't bother. If these quad-band radios did 10m SSB, then it might be worth the bother to rig up a good antenna. 10m FM repeaters are kinda fun to play around with, but 10m propagation is just not very reliable and it will be poor for the next few years as we ride the bottom of the sunspot cycle.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure it ever was SB-14. Comet has been using the "SBB" prefix for some of their mobile antennas for several years and SBB-14 appears on their web site. That said, I'm skeptical that a 43" long antenna will be all that efficient on 6m. Comet seems to agree as they list that antenna as having 0 dBi of gain on 6m. That's worse than a quarter-wave over a good ground.

In my opinion, unless there's a 10m FM repeater that you want to work, I wouldn't bother. If these quad-band radios did 10m SSB, then it might be worth the bother to rig up a good antenna. 10m FM repeaters are kinda fun to play around with, but 10m propagation is just not very reliable and it will be poor for the next few years as we ride the bottom of the sunspot cycle.

Earlier references in this thread show SB-14. That was back in 2009. Also, eHam also shows it as an SB-14. All the dealers are selling SSB14s. I think it's a moot issue because it looks like I would get 2 S's or nothing.

Also, as McKenna reminded me, I don't have privileges on 10m. I knew that. I was having a senior moment.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber

I believe I've found the reason for adding the extra "S" in the model designation of the antenna. This model is a fold-over antenna. The hinge and retaining spring in the SB-14 would not keep the antenna upright at high speeds. Mostly, the spring was too weak. The entire hinge assembly was re-designed to keep the antenna from inadvertently lifting up and folding down. The "S" was apparently added to note the difference in the hinge assemblies.

It may not be that big a deal unless you're purchasing a used antenna. In that case, the information could be important.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
All the dealers are selling SSB14s.
R&L Electronics lists an SBB-14, but no SSB-14.
Ham Radio Outlet lists an SBB-14, but no SSB-14.
Universal Radio lists an SBB-14, but no SSB-14.
DX Engineering lists an SBB-14, but no SSB-14.
Main Trading Company lists an SBB-14, but no SSB-14.
GigaParts lists an SBB-14, but no SSB-14.

eHam.net has reviews for an SB-14, but not an SSB-14 or SSB14. At least, not that I can find. I do find mentions of an SBB-14. I will believe that Comet at one time had an SB-14 that became SBB-14 after some modification.

Status
Not open for further replies.