GRE PSR-300 Help - Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

squadman

Feed Provider
Ok, just got my new PSR 300 scanner with programming cable from Scanner Master today and I think I have a problem.

When I to insert the cable into the scanner it does nothing except stay on the current screen. I'm thinking it should switch to clone mode or something along that line like the Pro 97 does but if I wiggle the plug around or pull it out a little it will show the clone mode screen.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it a problem with the jack or cable?

kcoleman

squadman,

Not sure about the 300 but my 500 continues to scan until I either download or upload the scanner. I think this is by design with the new line of GRE radios.

Good Luck & Good Scanning...
Keith

SquierStrat

sounds like a problem, the psr300 should go right into clone mode when the cable is plugged in. if the cable works fine on your 97 then i would assume its the scanner

Last edited:

RadMarv

Premium Subscriber
Do you have the 3 inch STEREO to MONO ADAPTER attached to the cable?

You need to remove the adapter it does not work with it attached.

P.S. My GRE cable did NOT include this pigtail cable. My RS brand cable did.

Last edited:

squadman

Feed Provider
Do you have the 3 inch STEREO to MONO ADAPTER attached to the cable?

You need to remove the adapter it does not work with it attached.

P.S. My GRE cable did NOT include this pigtail cable. My RS brand cable did.

I tried it both ways with no luck, when the pigtail isn't attached I get the incorrect cable message on the display. When pigtail is attached and I plug it in it doesn't do anything.

squadman

Feed Provider
I am thinking you do not have the latest drivers installed.

Are you using a PC? If so you need to check the latest driver here is the link.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM 2.04.16 WHQL Certified.zip

Updated the driver and got the same results as before, when pigtail is attached and plug cable into scanner it does nothing, when pigtail isn't attached to cable and plug into scanner it goes into CLONE MODE but once I start the programming process I get the Incorrect model message.

RadMarv

Premium Subscriber
I've been playing around with my PRO-164 a clone of your PSR-300. I do not believe you have a problem with your scanner.

If you are using WIN97 (I think you are) to program your scanner I think you are using the incorrect upload selection in that software.

If you are using WIN97 on the "Scanner" button pulldown menu you need to select the "Upload to PRO-164/163, PSR-300/400" the 6th selection down on that list in order to make it work.

If I select one of the others to upload to my PRO-164 I get the "Incorrect Model" notification on my scanner.

You do get the proper "Clone Mode" without the pigtail attached..... DO NOT USE IT! I believe we're almost there.

mikey60

Updated the driver and got the same results as before, when pigtail is attached and plug cable into scanner it does nothing, when pigtail isn't attached to cable and plug into scanner it goes into CLONE MODE but once I start the programming process I get the Incorrect model message.

What firmware version is in the radio? To find out, turn the scanner off, then press and hold the PGM button and turn the radio back on.

Prior to Appl Ver 1.04, the PSR-300/400 and the RadioShack equivelents were not clone compatible. Starting with version 1.04, the PSR-300/400 were changed to be compatible with the RS versions, which may be the reason you're getting the Wrong model message.

If you have a firmware version prior to the current 1.07, I suggest that you download the update from the GRE site at GRE America, Inc. - Powered By Kayako SupportSuite and then try again.

Mike

SquierStrat

computer software/drivers have nothing to do with this.
the usb cable doesnt even have to be plugged in to the computer and the scanner should still go right into clone mode when a programming cable is plugged into it. from what i understand, his is not doing this

Last edited:

RadMarv

Premium Subscriber
You must have the USB cable plugged into the computer for the scanner to go into "CLONE MODE".

You will not get clone mode any other way. You will not get "CLONE MODE" when using the pigtail.

If you get "CLONE MODE" as you described earlier in post #8 by using the cable without the pigtail you are half-way there. You appear NOT to be uploading into the scanner because you've most likely selected the wrong upload category from the uploading software.

I really do not believe there is anything wrong with your scanner if you do get into "CLONE MODE" as you did previously.

What software are you using in order to upload into the scanner?

Last edited:

SquierStrat

well son of a gun, you are correct. what i stated is true with the psr100 and i thought the 300 would be the same. i went and tried it and sure enough, you are right

Last edited:

RadMarv

Premium Subscriber
SquierStrat,

Glad to see you got into "Clone Mode" again. I hope that you have been able to load your frequencies with your software. It can be somewhat confusing since there are so many selections to choose from using the WIN97 software that I use. I selected Don Starr's software since he is available here on RR to help out.

I've had fun this morning playing around with my PRO-164 and cable seeing the various situations that occur. I've even created another template for "CAL FIRE" in an attempt to listen in on the Santa Cruz fire but I'm not picking up much since I am quite a way away from it... Was just hoping.

I haven't had any sleep yet today and need to get the car in the shop for a routine maintainance.

Won't be back on RR until tomorrow around 1AM when I get back from work.

Well hope it is now all working for you. I had fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.