Selfridge Airshow Freq's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xray

Thanks Chief - I have that listed as a PAR freq, I'll report back FRI evening with freq use there.

gwtc199

Probably cause ILS approaches are easier, or more precise than PAR. You don't get the distortion from the radar with ILS

Xray

I agree with gwtc, just kinda faded out as newer technology was ushered in.
It died out completely with civil aviation, most military airfields still have PAR capability if needed - Seems likely some form of GPS will supplant them both.
MLS [microwave] was superior to both PAR & ILS, and even GPS is some regards, but never really caught on and, as far as I'm aware, is not used in North America anymore, civil or military.

I'm geeked about this show, weathers supposed to be great, low to mid 70's, with the usual possible shower or two.
If anyone unfamiliar with Selfridge, and does not plan on going on base, wants to know "my spot", just let me know.

Last edited:

gwtc199

I'm planning on being there on base, anyone else going there look for a pair of wagons, one is painted Blue Angels the other is Snowbirds, feel free to say hi, Its always nice to meet other scanner fans

If anyone unfamiliar with Selfridge, and does not plan on going on base, wants to know "my spot", just let me know.

XRay, I'm very familiar with the area, but would still like to know where you'll be hanging. I don't want to be on base so I can escape quickly to get to a mid afternoon family event. Can you PM me?

Matt

Xray

Here ya go SS, and anyone else who cares to go.
No big secret, plenty of room.
The spot is at the end of Sugarbush road, right off of 21 mile, close to the I-94 intersection.
Coming from 94, you will turn right on Sugarbush, go down until it dead ends by some factories ,,, And thats the spot.
I was there today, sensational spot - All the better since you can park, whip out your lawn chair right there, and wait for the aircraft.
You can see the end of the runway at the bottom, flight path is very close to this spot - You can get even closer just walking a bit in the parking lot, down side of that though is the building obstructs the view to the rear - Very nice if you like loud, fast surprises.

One word of caution - Unfortunately, the cops usually block Sugarbush on show days. They didn't today, even though the Thunderbirds were flying ,,, But expect it to be done this weekend.
I have found ways around that:

*Right past Sugarbush is a street called Anchorsomething - Simply turn on that, and go down a few roads that connect back to Sugarbush.
This road leads to a bunch of condos, I have never seen the cops block it off.

*There is a saloon right on the corner of Sugarbush and 21 mile - Pull in the parking lot before you get to Sugarbush, maybe get out and take a leak in the saloon if its open, them simply drive out the back exit on Sugarbush, past the cops. I've done it before.

*Plan C - Keep going past Sugarbush and Anchorsomething, 21 mile curves towards Selfridge, and Anchorsomething comes out there again, should be able to turn on that and get to Sugarbush.

*Plan D - Have never tried this, but a friend of mine who I see every show there for years told me that you can turn on the street before Sugarbush called Continental, that takes you back to the factory area right next to Sugarbush - Also a police station right there.

So thats it, should be no problem - If you see a guy with a scanner who looks like a cross between a Hells Angel and Slash with a black baseball cap, thats me.

So heres the freqs active there.

Selfridge - 119.6/120.15/128.3/259.95/275.8/318.2/391.9
airboss 133.325
unconfirmed, possibly active - 119.775/311/321/120.5

Tbirds, not many active freqs I found, but these 3 had quite alot of action
141.075/235.25/413.275

Oh and by the way, show starts pretty early, with a gaggle of A-10's flying at 11 am.

Attachments

• sb.jpg
    sb.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 836
Last edited:

nodak1crdet3

So thats it, should be no problem - If you see a guy with a scanner who looks like a cross between a Hells Angel and Slash with a black baseball cap, thats me.

Oh wow man, I've seen that dude. I was the one who helped you confirm the airboss freq. ;~) Short red hair, Black Grayling Range cap, Blue shirt, & Blue Impala. W/ Sputnic antenna on the trunk.
119.775 is Toronto Center.
Did get a brief hit on 133.350 from the CH-47 I don't recall the call sign he used.
I have to work Saturday, so I won't be there. Will be going in on Sunday.

Chuck in Detroit / NODAK 1

So heres the freqs active there.

Selfridge - 119.6/120.15/128.3/259.95/275.8/318.2/391.9
airboss 133.325
unconfirmed, possibly active - 119.775/311/321/120.5

Tbirds, not many active freqs I found, but these 3 had quite alot of action
141.075/235.25/413.275

Oh and by the way, show starts pretty early, with a gaggle of A-10's flying at 11 am.

Chuck in Detroit

Xray

All right, Chuck - Small world.
Us aviation nuts move in tight circles, I guess.
I'll be at "the spot" SAT, SUN I may be there, might go in.

Ok, cross out 119.775 then - Theres gotta be some in use we missed.
I heard them chatting on other channels about 311/321 being "command post" channels - Since I can't field program my scanner, couldn't confirm.
Seems to me those are old SAC freqs from years ago, they used to use them alot for the heavies.

That Raptor ever show ?

Last edited:
*Right past Sugarbush is a street called Anchorsomething - Simply turn on that, and go down a few roads that connect back to Sugarbush.
This road leads to a bunch of condos, I have never seen the cops block it off.

- This road is called Anchor Bay, if I recall correctly.

*There is a saloon right on the corner of Sugarbush and 21 mile - Pull in the parking lot before you get to Sugarbush, maybe get out and take a leak in the saloon if its open, them simply drive out the back exit on Sugarbush, past the cops. I've done it before.

- The Saloon is called The Sugarbush Tavern.

Awesome! I'll be there Sunday morning, if I can get in. One of my good friends lives on Sugarbush, so I'm familiar with the street. If I can get in, I'll be the dude with the two-tone Trailblazer. Come up and say hey.

Matt

N8CBG

Selfridge Air Show update for Saturday 08/22/09

Keep 87.9 dialed up on your car radio as you drive,
It’s a great feed from their PA system.

Selfridge;
133.325 Mhz Air Boss
123.150 Mhz Air to Air Performers
318.200 Mhz Selfridge Approach (B-1 and B-2 check-in)

Thunderbirds;
141.075 Mhz Diamond and Delta
235.250 Mhz Solo’s

Selfridge Air Show PA feed (2 miles range or more)
87.9 Mhz FM

Xray

- This road is called Anchor Bay, if I recall correctly.

Drove on it today after the show, sign just says "Anchor"

Awesome! I'll be there Sunday morning, if I can get in. One of my good friends lives on Sugarbush, so I'm familiar with the street. If I can get in, I'll be the dude with the two-tone Trailblazer. Come up and say hey.

Matt

Try "Plan D" first - Worked flawless for me.
Sugarbush was barricaded, as expected - Nothing at all to stop you from turning on Continental, then driving through the business parking lots to Sugarbush. You'll go straight to what looks like a dead end past a boat trailer, then a road opens up, you keep going straight then kinda left, past some tractors, trucks and the biggest factory on the lot - Should see a little crowd of people on the hill just outside of the parking lot on Sugarbush.
I wanted to try Continental first, because it would have been all but impossible to turn back around if Anchor was blocked, the traffic was so heavy, so I don't even know if they had Anchor blocked, never got up to it.

Great day, they did a B1 & B2 flyby, each did 3 passes, not sure if they'll show tomorrow, my guess is no.
T-Birds were great - And believe it or not, an F-18, I am almost sure, *ucked up, went supersonic, and created a sonic boom that shocked the **** out of everyone, only the 2nd time in my life I have seen ,, Or more accurately, heard ,, This happen.

311 confirmed as active freq, not much activity on it though.

Chief - B-1 was "Hawk 1" if I recall correctly.

Xray

Pic of detour to Sugarbush

Attachments

• Untitled - 1.jpg
    Untitled - 1.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 875

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
Lots of activity on 314.4 right now, hearing them fine from my home QTH..

w8jjr

Premium Subscriber
and dont over look MPSCS lots of activity on it
including SANG Security and Command

g-event groups

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.