KHP "zones" within troop areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rankin39

Does anyone have a map of the radio ZONES within each of the KHP troops. For example, Troop A, Kansas City, has zones B, C and D with separate talk groups for each such zone. Is there info available on geographical boundaries (assuming the zones are geographical in nature and not just freq. or TG groupings within the radios) of these zones? I don't monitor a whole lot of KHP and would be interested in knowing what zone southern LV Co is in so that I can exclude a lot of the WYCO and JOCO traffic.

Bob, WoNXN

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
Troop A is set up differently than the other areas of the state. The zones are not set up geographically- they are set up by shift, each under the supervision of a LT. Once KHP in Troop A completely switches to digital I wouldn't be surprised if all the dispatch troopwide worked off of A-KHP-1.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Sorry for bring up a old thread but i am looking for a map of the zones as well. it seems there's many car to car zones and i don't what areas use each one.
thanks

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
I don't know of any maps of the KHP zones.

Here is what I have derived from listening (feel free to chime in / correct these anyone)

A-1 is used by the troops in Leavenworth and Miami Counties. The metro troops are still using the "old" Johnson County system- for now.

B-1 seems to be a catch all used by specialty troops (aircraft, canine, motor carrier).
B-A is the northeast counties in Troop B (Jefferson, Atchison, Brown, Doniphan)
B-B used in Jackson Co
B-C is used in Osage Co
B-D is the western counties of Troop B (Wabaunsee/Pottawatomie)
B-E is used in Douglas and Franklin counties

C-1 is the area around Salina and McPherson
C-2 is the area north along US 36 around Concordia and Belleville
C-3 is the Manhattan and Junction City areas

H-1 is the north half of Troop H
H-2 is the south half of Troop H

F anyone???

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Thanks for the info. every little bit helps. i'm surprised someone doesn't post a map in the wiki or on the KSICS page for the Troops and Zones. If only i knew where all the troop car to car zones A,B,C,D are.

Here is what I have derived from listening (feel free to chime in / correct these anyone)

A-1 is used by the troops in Leavenworth and Miami Counties. The metro troops are still using the "old" Johnson County system- for now.

B-1 seems to be a catch all used by specialty troops (aircraft, canine, motor carrier).
B-B used in Jackson Co
B-C is used in Osage Co

F anyone???

mancow

Database Admin
I've noticed the State ICS "template" programmed radios don't have the sub zones in them. This makes it impossible to monitor a good portion of the KHP traffic with one. I suppose they figured that in an emergency traffic would be routed to main talk groups or event groups but I was a bit surprised that they didn't include the zones.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I've noticed the State ICS "template" programmed radios don't have the sub zones in them. This makes it impossible to monitor a good portion of the KHP traffic with one. I suppose they figured that in an emergency traffic would be routed to main talk groups or event groups but I was a bit surprised that they didn't include the zones.
what do you mean by State ICS "template" radios?

n0lqt

KHP-F seems to only be divided into Metro, Zone 1, and Zone 2 so far. Metro is Sedgwick County only. Zone 1 seems to be Reno, Harvey, Butler, Cowley, and Sumner. Zone 2 is Harper, Kingman, Rice, Barber, Pratt, Stafford, and Barton the best I've been able to map out. I've been collecting the individual Radio ID numbers to assigned unit and area for different agencies in my area, but I'm somewhat reluctant to share that. I know, it's publicly available information thru the system, but just my years in Law Enforcement says that's just too much specific information for general release. Plus, I spent a LOT of time just sitting there listening and integrating the traffic to the correct Radio ID and then determining the patrol area they were working.

dgruver911

what do you mean by State ICS "template" radios?

Every radio the state programs on their system has a base template in it.
Here is a link to the book they provide that pretty well explains it all and maps it all out:

http://kansastag.ks.gov/AdvHTML_Doc_Upload/MutualAidRefGuide_11-2008 Revised.pdf

So in a nutshell, there are 31 zones of up to 16 talkgroups, so it is huge and rather complex. Then you can add in your local zones and talkgroups and make it REALLY complicated :) And my understanding is Sedgwick County's template for their P25 system will make this look simple....

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Every radio the state programs on their system has a base template in it.
Here is a link to the book they provide that pretty well explains it all and maps it all out:

http://kansastag.ks.gov/AdvHTML_Doc_Upload/MutualAidRefGuide_11-2008 Revised.pdf

So in a nutshell, there are 31 zones of up to 16 talkgroups, so it is huge and rather complex. Then you can add in your local zones and talkgroups and make it REALLY complicated :) And my understanding is Sedgwick County's template for their P25 system will make this look simple....
Above URL gives me
404 - File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

can you re-check?

Thanks.

dgruver911

Above URL gives me
404 - File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

can you re-check?

Thanks.

It's still there not sure why it changed when I pasted it this morning. If it somehow glitches again, just google Kansas Interoperability Guide it shows up on several sites (KS APCO, KSFFA, KAG/SEIC). dg

khphighwayman

Premium Subscriber

B-B used in Jackson Co
B-C is used in Osage Co

F anyone???

Everything is correct... except that B-B aka Troop B Zone B is Pottawatomie and Wabaunsee counties and B-D aka Troop B Zone D is Jackson County guys. Id suggest putting in the B-Event 3 in your list also...thats interesting to listen to during severe weather, its a link to NWS office in Topeka. I think most of the counties in NE KS are using that now to report in and get info from them.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Sorry to bring this thread back to life but i thought someone had posted a map of the KHP sub zones but i can't find it on my hard drive or on the website. i swear i seen the map on radio reference but now i can't find it.
thanks

n0lqt

thanks that's the one. that thread is so long i must have missed it when skimming through it. i wonder why that important map isn't posted on the KSICS wiki?

"Ask and ye shall receive...."

Take a look and see if that works...............

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.