• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-790 chip for additional channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustinRoss

We recently had our Kenwood TK-790's upgraded to a larger channel capacity with the install of the extra chip. However it appears as though the standard KPG-44D won't recognize the additoinal channel capacity and I am wondering if there is a setting in the existing software or do I need to upgrade my existing software to accomodate my additonal capacity. Thoughts?? Any feedback is appreciated.

SCPD

QRT
kpg44cdf

You need to get the kpg44cdf software you can buy it from silverado avionics in california or your dealer should be able to get it for you.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
You can program a CDF 790 with regular KPG-44D or go the other way and program a stock 790 with KPG-44CDF, but I will warn you, features will be missing and the ops will be buggy. Been there, done that. Get the correct software for whichever style 790 you have.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
We recently had our Kenwood TK-790's upgraded to a larger channel capacity with the install of the extra chip. However it appears as though the standard KPG-44D won't recognize the additoinal channel capacity and I am wondering if there is a setting in the existing software or do I need to upgrade my existing software to accomodate my additonal capacity. Thoughts?? Any feedback is appreciated.

Just to confirm, you got the Silverado upgrade? Changes your radio from 160 channels to 254 channels, and adds a command group and instant select CTCSS tones?

If that is the upgrade you are talking about, the previous posters are correct. You need the KPG-44CDF software, either in DOS or in Windows. Contact your Kenwood dealer for the software.

code3cowboy

Did you do the CDF or "fire service" upgrade, or did you just throw a chip in? If you just threw a chip in, you are on your own. If you got the chip AND the firmware, you need the CDF/Fire Service software.

Colton25

So if the radio is a CDF 790 you don't need the fs software? 44d will work fine?

You can program a CDF 790 with regular KPG-44D or go the other way and program a stock 790 with KPG-44CDF, but I will warn you, features will be missing and the ops will be buggy. Been there, done that. Get the correct software for whichever style 790 you have.

ajohansson

You need the KPG-44FS to program the tac feature, OST up/down and the extra channel capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
You can read a CDF 790 with the standard software, and it will read just fine. But, it will only recognize the stock 160 channels, and won't see any of the additional features the firmware upgrade offers. You have to read the radio with the correct (FS) software to properly utilize the firmware upgrade. And as someone else posted earlier in this thread, you may get some odd or 'buggy' operations from the radio. Do yourself a favor and track down a copy of the proper software for the radio...you'll be much happier that you did.

Colton25

So I got what I thought was the FS version but it looks exactly the same.. Is the software supposed to look different then the regular 49D? When I look at the "About KPG-49D Software" they look identical.

You can read a CDF 790 with the standard software, and it will read just fine. But, it will only recognize the stock 160 channels, and won't see any of the additional features the firmware upgrade offers. You have to read the radio with the correct (FS) software to properly utilize the firmware upgrade. And as someone else posted earlier in this thread, you may get some odd or 'buggy' operations from the radio. Do yourself a favor and track down a copy of the proper software for the radio...you'll be much happier that you did.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Well, first off... You need the KPG-44D FS software, not the KPG-49D.

If that was a typo, your about screen should "Fire Service" right on it.

See the attached image.

Attachments

• KPG-44 FS About.jpg
    KPG-44 FS About.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 603

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Also scroll down to the bottom of a group. 160 channels is plain-jane KPG-44D and 254 channels is the fire service. In additon, the fire service has key programming for OST up/down and TAC. The other has not.

Essentially the same software but the little things tell the difference.

Colton25

I had to uninstall and reinstall it to get everything working correctly, thanks everyone!!

Colton25

If I was to get a 790 and 890 both with the upgrade, and I set it up as dual band with single head would I get the 508 channels?

Also scroll down to the bottom of a group. 160 channels is plain-jane KPG-44D and 254 channels is the fire service. In additon, the fire service has key programming for OST up/down and TAC. The other has not.

Essentially the same software but the little things tell the difference.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
If I was to get a 790 and 890 both with the upgrade, and I set it up as dual band with single head would I get the 508 channels?

No, the total channels with a dual-banded radio will always be the total of any one deck, either 160 or 254, depending on firmware. They share the memory.

Sent from my Samsung S5 on Tapatalk

Colton25

Ok thank you, thought I had an idea but I guess not. I'm sure someone else has already thought of it. Sure wish I could make 7180 and 8180 dual band.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Ok thank you, thought I had an idea but I guess not. I'm sure someone else has already thought of it. Sure wish I could make 7180 and 8180 dual band.

Tell me about it...I would love to dual band a 5710 and 5810.

Colton25

I'm aware of other options ie (Motorola) :/ but I'm so comfortable with kenwood. I know they just came out with the 5700/5800 that is dual band capable but I can only imagine the price [emoji57]

Colton25

But in order to set up dual band both radios would need to be upgraded to CDF correct?

No, the total channels with a dual-banded radio will always be the total of any one deck, either 160 or 254, depending on firmware. They share the memory.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Or the NX-7/800.

I really like both series radios.

It's sad that the TK-x90 series have such limited channel capacity, if it was 512ch, even between both radios would be workable. 160 channels total, between both bricks is just not enough. Also to have the ability to select a key to do low power transmit too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.