Motorola Digital Turbo Trunking-Monitoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powderchaser

Is it possible to monitor a new Turbo Digital system that is 4 frequency UHF and most likely trunked with coding using any type of scanner or even purchasing a Turbo Radio from Motorola and putting the frequencies in it? I could get a turbo portable from Motorola but am not sure without any coding that I would hear anything? I am looking for a handheld solution.

N

N_Jay

No scanner, I will leave the MotoTRBO radio answer to someone who has played with programming these. (I don't know why it would not be possible, just don't know the intricacies of any programming keys, etc.)

K4APR

When I left Motorola just under a year ago, we had put several conventional MotoTrbo repeaters into service in the Virginia Beach, VA area. At that time, the TRUNKING option was not available yet. Having said that, I don't think the trunking is available yet, but I might be wrong. I haven't really kept up with the latest now that my current job requires me to maintain a conventional EDACS trunking system. Not that I am not still Moto at heart :D

As for conventional receive, in theory you can buy a VHF or UHF MotoTrbo radio and program it for what you would like to monitor. One of the new concepts with Motorola digital has to do with TDMA slots. MotorTrbo can have two concurrently running conversations on a single RF channel. A common setup using this was voice on slot 0 and data on slot 1. As for programming, you need to select the correct slot to hear traffic. If you did'nt know, you could set up two channels, one for slot 0 and the other for slot 1 and then just scan between the two to find the voice traffic.

I am trying to remember, but I THINK there was some kind of equivelent to a NAC used, but I forget what the term was. Just think of it as a digital DPL.

niagara16

yes you can buy a Trbo radio, but the problem u run into is if they are using it in digital you will have about 999,999 codes to go thru to find there talk group. Then if they have privacy plus programmed into there radios you will have another 9999 codes to go thru. Good luck

wb0wao

yes you can buy a Trbo radio, but the problem u run into is if they are using it in digital you will have about 999,999 codes to go thru to find there talk group. Then if they have privacy plus programmed into there radios you will have another 9999 codes to go thru. Good luck

Do these codes change the parameters of the digital signal itself or do they operate as the equivalent to PL/DPL and/or Talk Groups? If the codes do "modify" the actual signal, then there probably won't be any way that TRBO will ever be scannable - but if the actual signal is unchanged, then I can foresee a TRBO compatable scanner sometime in the future.

Dennis

SCPD

QRT
rumor is GRE "may be working on it" for a future scanner search the Threads inThe GRE forum. neen awhile but has been brought up before.

N

N_Jay

rumor is GRE "may be working on it" for a future scanner search the Threads inThe GRE forum. neen awhile but has been brought up before.

Rumor of "Working on it" is based on one email saying they are "interested" in TRBR.

I think we are building rumors out of nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.