• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

silverado new body style

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrrider06

Premium Subscriber
Hey folks, just got a new body style silverado and was wondering how anybody went about installing their equipment, antennas, power wires , and so on. Pics would be a great help. The truck that I have is the extended cab.

gambill1

I have one also. have not installed anything yet. but on my old silverado my antenna cable and power wires came thru the gromet that the hood release cable goes through. it seems every time they change a car or truck it gets harder and harder to find places to mount and route stuff.

MPFD535

The new chevy trucks are easy to get through the firewall, if you look under the dash to the left on the drivers side right behind that conector asmb there is a round cut out that you can remove from the insulation and there is a dimple in the metal behind that what works perfect to center a hole saw. Also if it has a center console, a havis console fits in the center if you pull out the center of the factory one, ill look for some pictures I have done alot of new chevys with some really sick installs

cbrrider06

Premium Subscriber
Also I am a firm believer in NMO mounts if any one has done one where did you drill and how did you rub the coax????

rbabroff

I also have a new body style silverado 1500. I have 3 NMO mounted antennas on the roof. If you follow the drain lines in the roof i have one antenna center and then skip a drain line and to the next on either side i have antennas. Remove the third brake light and you can see into the roof. Remember to look at where you are going to drill and not hit any supports you want just body metal. To run the wires remove the weather striping around the door and you can run the cable down the inside in the dead space down to the floor board. there should be plastic inserts on the floor boards that pop out and there is a channel just for the cable to run to the front of cab and then into the dash to go where ever you want. I have my radios kind of hap hazardly mounted in the center console right now but I am going to either purchase or build a center console for my radios.
Good luck

mobile1

Hey folks, just got a new body style silverado and was wondering how anybody went about installing their equipment, antennas, power wires , and so on. Pics would be a great help. The truck that I have is the extended cab.
It would help to know more about your truck's interior. LS / LT / LTZ / Z71 ? Pickup or SUV type? Bench seat or buckets with console? A pic would be helpful.

Larryfire26

Premium Subscriber
Same here I have a 2009 silverado crew cab and cannot find a way to go from engine compartment thru firewall! Does anyone have any ideas on how to route wires thru the firewall, Need to connect my strobes and two way radio power
Thanks

2manyradios

i also have a 2010 crew cab ltz and i know about the firewall cut out but im wondering having a LTZ model if its a good idea to mount radio heads in front of console in the empty space above the cup holders and did you guys have to pull down head liners to drill for NMO mounts or were you able to do the 3rd brake trick.

pddispatcher

I've got an 07 LTZ and about ready to outfit it.

First:

Jotto makes an excellent center console ( its pricy at over $200 bucks but it looks awesome )

I will be drilling the hole and installing one NMO Antenna but I will probably take it to a radio shop and let them do that.

I will be mimicing that install almost to a T as I like that console and especially that switchbox.

Attachments

• IMG_3290.jpg
    IMG_3290.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 31,390

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
I also have a new body style silverado 1500. I have 3 NMO mounted antennas on the roof. If you follow the drain lines in the roof i have one antenna center and then skip a drain line and to the next on either side i have antennas. Remove the third brake light and you can see into the roof. Remember to look at where you are going to drill and not hit any supports you want just body metal. To run the wires remove the weather striping around the door and you can run the cable down the inside in the dead space down to the floor board. there should be plastic inserts on the floor boards that pop out and there is a channel just for the cable to run to the front of cab and then into the dash to go where ever you want. I have my radios kind of hap hazardly mounted in the center console right now but I am going to either purchase or build a center console for my radios.
Good luck

This is exactly how I did it, although I mounted the radio under the rear seat and use a remote head on the radio my agency provides. I had to fabricate a custom cable to increase the length of the control head to reach to the front cab but other than that it was a pretty easy install.

2manyradios

got any pics , i want to see every option of doing this before i start drilling and other stuff, i also have a remote head , yaesu ft 100d gonna be mounted in that spot .

wg5jim

Does anyone have pictures from an install on a 2007+ new body style crew cab ltz? I'm working on my 2009 2500hd duramax crew cab ltz truck. I'm leaning to a stake mount, I tried a hood bracket mount but it wouldn't work. I'm mounting a CR-8900 Diamond Antenna.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Just did my dad's 2012 LTZ. He had the sun roof, so center of the crew cab roof was out. We ended up popping the third brake light off and mounting the NMO just in front of there. Snaked the wire to the driver side, down the pillar and along under the door sill to the center console.

Probably one of the quicker installs I've done. One radio, one antenna. Power we ran through an existing grommet on the driver side, behind the under dash fuse panel. Made a small incision off to one side and worked the power through there from the engine side. Ran the power along with the cable that leads from the battery to the under hood fuse box. We ran power off the positive post of the battery and grounded to the fender next to the battery. There are two posts on the under hood fuse box, one with a 30 amp fuse, and one with a 40 amp fuse. I believe the 30 amp fused post is intend for charging a trailer battery. Not sure what the 40amp post is for. Anyway, from what I've read, it sounds like you can run power off one of those posts without any noise issues.

I've gotta do an install in my brother in laws truck in a few weeks, basically the same as my dads. Might try using the posts on the fuse box under the hood.

Remember, getting the antenna up high, preferably on to the cab roof, is really going to help. Mounting on the stake pockets does work, but you can get shielding from the cab, and if you are close enough, it can throw you SWR off.

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
Does anyone have pictures from an install on a 2007+ new body style crew cab ltz? I'm working on my 2009 2500hd duramax crew cab ltz truck. I'm leaning to a stake mount, I tried a hood bracket mount but it wouldn't work. I'm mounting a CR-8900 Diamond Antenna.

What's the issue with the bracket mount?

wg5jim

What's the issue with the bracket mount?

Operator Error, there is no problem. I was trying to mount it in the wrong place. On my 2009 25000HD I remove the black plastic plate between the hood and windshield on the driver side. It just pops out. There is a bracket that will take a 1/2 bolt.

The mount is the GM3L from Walcott CB. Now to fish the power and coax thru the firewall.

2manyradios

Operator Error, there is no problem. I was trying to mount it in the wrong place. On my 2009 25000HD I remove the black plastic plate between the hood and windshield on the driver side. It just pops out. There is a bracket that will take a 1/2 bolt.

The mount is the GM3L from Walcott CB. Now to fish the power and coax thru the firewall.

i have that mount and what i notice is that it comes lose every now and then but thats because i use a longer heavier antenna , use the recomended size antenna and should be fine

jhooten

Radios:
DSCN0453-1.jpg

Thought I had one of the ants. Weather permitting tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.