Allegany Co - Trunked or Conventional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwerntz

I am a frequent passer through the county and I remain mystified by the UHF system. The listings in the database seems to suggest that there are about 4 frequencies on each of 4 towers (Big Savage, Dan's Mountain, Haystack Mountain, Luke Hill, and perhaps Town Hill).

Monitoring, I hear non-analog (non-P25) transmissions (which could be a control channel or other data). Occasionally I hear audio, but usually just odd keyclicks and data that make monitoring annoying.

Is this an analog simulcast system, LTR, or something else?

Thanks, Carl

troymail

Silent Key
I am a frequent passer through the county and I remain mystified by the UHF system. The listings in the database seems to suggest that there are about 4 frequencies on each of 4 towers (Big Savage, Dan's Mountain, Haystack Mountain, Luke Hill, and perhaps Town Hill).

Monitoring, I hear non-analog (non-P25) transmissions (which could be a control channel or other data). Occasionally I hear audio, but usually just odd keyclicks and data that make monitoring annoying.

Is this an analog simulcast system, LTR, or something else?

Thanks, Carl

If this is the system you are asking about -- I'm pretty sure I'd heard activity on this LTR system in the past year (my son was attending Frostburg University at the time) - possibly sheriff TGs. LTR stuff is extremely fickle when it comes to programming your scanner....

tenthirtyone

LTR Passport

The clicks you hear are the LTR "Passport" data bursts.

The repeated system listed in the RR database will not be used. It will be a county-wide LTR Passport system.

All of the county public safety and works - plus most municipalities (Cumberland, Frostburg cities) - will be migrating to the new system this year. Apparently no off-the shelf receivers will be able to follow it (accurately). It's causing quite the row among volunteers due to the inability to monitor it without an authorized (ESN controlled) two-way portable / mobile.

Wait till the county's many scanner listeners find the conventional stuff has gone dark. They will simulcast fire alerts on the existing 33.78 low band but that's it for now.

Everything in Cumberland city (police, fire, EMS, works) will be un-listenable.

MdListener

Watch for a similar backlash in Washington County, when within a few months, their new P25 system lights up. At least all of the fire & ems stuff will be in the clear, but 90% of the folks who regularly monitor it will probably not be able to afford the $400 - 500 digital scanner to listen in. I think they may also simulcast the dispatch channel on lowband, but everything else will be in digital-land. There will be a similar situation with law enforcement in the county.

ambdrvr

Premium Subscriber
Allegany UHF LTR

Hello all,

I don't have all the details as of yet but I've heard some buzz around the county that the new system may only be LTR standard and not LTR "PassPort". There is a lot of complaining as stated before about the inability to hear traffic without an approved radio with an officail "ESN" number. I also have heard that the City of Cumberland was planning on joining into the new county system but were recently told that all of the radios they have are Ver. 1.0 and will not work and that to join they would have to do a major upgrade and purchase all new radios. This is just the buzz I have heard so I thought that I would throw it out there.

Ambdrvr

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
I am curious,

With this new system, does anybody on the fire board know if the county hired a consultant when considering a LTR Passport system ?

Matt N3IVK

kwrounds

Feed Provider
Fire-ems program layout for Allegany County

The attached programming package was developed from previous radio meetings, and comments from Companies with a radio program test package in their radios.

Listed below are the companies home-channels, these Incident Command (IC) Operation channels will be utilized as your company’s primary IC Ops Channel.

Predominantly, IC Ops 1-6 will be utilized for Fire-Rescue incidents, and IC Ops 7 will be used for EMS communication before moving to Call 1, Med 3, and or Med 6. Companies that have Fire-Rescue and EMS will unitize IC Ops 7 for EMS and their perspective IC Ops channel for everything else. All Ambulance Assist are designed to be managed on IC Ops 7.

Mutual Aid 1 will be utilized to communicate with Law Enforcement, Schools, School Buses, County Roads and etc…

Mutual Aid 2-4 will be utilized for permanent patches to outlying jurisdictions such as Mineral County, Bedford County, Garrett County and etc…

The” Tac” channels are numbered 1 – 28, so not to confuse a “Tac 1” listed under each bank.

Ops 1

Ops 2

Ops 3

Ops 4

Ops 5

Ops 6

Ops 7
All other EMS units

Below is the channel line up IC Ops. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 will be the same as 1 that is shown here, but the Tac chs. will cont. on 5 - 28

Alert (Main)
IC Ops 1
Tac 1
Tac 2
Tac 3
Tac 4
Mutual Aid 1
Mutual Aid 2
Mutual Aid 3
Mutual Aid 4
Private

Status