Scanner Ant - Looking for article

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Looking for the URL or article I used to build the attached scanner antenna. Vertical is 19 inches for the chassis connector to the tip. Plans called for UHF connector and 10 or 12 Ga wire. I used 14 Ga romex on bnc connector strictly for indoor use. Recommended for use on 150/450/800 bands. Antenna analyzer does indicate appropriate characteristic near 150 and 450, but analyzer does not cover 800. Seems to work well for what I listen to in the Grapevine, TX area.

Originally I thought I found the article in RR links to Wiki a couple of years back, but the only thing I found was the off-set vertical dipole today.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Last edited:

n4yek

I have the article saved on my computer, but I don't have the URL.
The size of it, being that I saved it as a PDF file, prevents me from uploading it on RR due to size restrictions. PM me your e-mail and I will e-mail it to you.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Scott,

Thanks, I spend about an hour looking at all the different 2m construction articles. This one was simple and different. Concept was to place the different vertical elements for 450 and 800 so they would all play well together. I can't say that it works better, but it was simple and easy. I could reverse engineer what I did, but I was hoping someone had the link or article.

petnrdx

Look for the "Copper Cactus".
I don't know the URL, but that is what your antenna looks like.
You can make the copper cactus with any bands you want from VHF low to SHF if you wanted.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Thanks!

n4yek sent the file, it is what I was looking for.

I tried 'copper cactus' and several other word combinations. Nothing was working for me. It seemed to have disappeared from the face of the internet.

Thanks to all

Mike

Good information n4yeks!
Can anyone explain the loops at the ends of the elements to me? Are they needed electrically or just so you don't poke your eyes out?

Thanks,
HCH

OK. The loops are really not needed then. I though the top picture was another version of the drawing. At any rate, I think I'll start looking for some aluminum or stainless rod.
Thanks to all for the drawing and the information.

HCH

Status
Not open for further replies.