Announcing Feed Provider Incentives

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber
I see this as a benefit for the high end feed providers only. If you are streaming a small town (like mine), you may not get a large enough audience to qualify.

Maybe the award can be tied to feed content?
Large cities/regional feeds need larger audience; smaller cities needs less?
Feeds from smaller systems can accumulate listeners for a time period instead of concurrent?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I see this as a benefit for the high end feed providers only. If you are streaming a small town (like mine), you may not get a large enough audience to qualify.

I strongly disagree. Each of times that we've had feeds qualify, they were from feeds that typically were never "high-end" feeds... small counties in Colorado for the Balloon boy incident, Killeen TX for the Fort Hood Shooting. Pittsburgh for the G20. Each of these feeds on regular days rarely makes it into the Top-50

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
The intention of this reward is to reward feeds that see a burst of activity due to big incidents that drive huge amounts of traffic to RR. We won't see day to day use reach these thresholds any time soon.

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber
I strongly disagree. Each of times that we've had feeds qualify, they were from feeds that typically were never "high-end" feeds... small counties in Colorado for the Balloon boy incident, Killeen TX for the Fort Hood Shooting. Pittsburgh for the G20. Each of these feeds on regular days rarely makes it into the Top-50

...The intention of this reward is to reward feeds that see a burst of activity due to big incidents that drive huge amounts of traffic to RR...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the program, its a good idea. And it will drive traffic to RR which is the main goal. But as you said the "low-end" feeds would only qualify if they have "incidents." I guess I could hope for an "incident" here ;)

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the program, its a good ideaBut as you said the "low-end" feeds would only qualify if they have "incidents" - I guess I could hope for an "incident" here ;)

No it's all good. :)

But, I'm actually saying that every feed is really only going to qualify if they get a major incident. If you look at the feeds in the Top-50 right now, I believe only one of them have ever met the thresholds (one of the Colorado feeds for Balloon boy). The most popular ones like LAPD, Chicago etc have never hit that threshold.

The purpose is to get feeds up, as well as get providers to promote their feeds and/or bring up a feed if there is a big time incident.

ltjweiss

you can always make some thing happen! lol, im just kidding, dont do that. the reward program is a great idea! i love it. hopefully i can find a computer soon to get running 24/7. keep up the great work RR.com!

NYRHKY94

Hi Lindsay:

Anything in the works for those of us that provide "multiple feeds" to the RR community? Maybe even a sliding scale based on the number of feeds put up. 6 and counting :)

Last edited:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Probably does. Some providers pay monthly for feed providers too... I think it's all the same.

hvscan

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/5.0.0.328 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I do not see this as profiting off the feeds. Most of us have much more invested in radios and computer equipment than what is being offered by RR. A feed can be set up for very little expense, but this is a hobby and done for enjoyment. Most of us spend money to enjoy our hobby.

RolnCode3

I think this is great. My feed topped at 130, so this sets the bar pretty high. But I think the ability to invest back into your equipment (such as better antennas or coax) to improve your feed would be great.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Oh I agree, I'm just saying, ya know, from all the arm chair lawyers standpoint an all...

Suppose it's no different though then the Incident Alert sites though that offer incentive programs as well too.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/5.0.0.328 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I do not see this as profiting off the feeds. Most of us have much more invested in radios and computer equipment than what is being offered by RR. A feed can be set up for very little expense, but this is a hobby and done for enjoyment. Most of us spend money to enjoy our hobby.

Now, I noticed this link Live Audio Feeds with Active Alerts about the Live Audio Feeds with Active Alerts, ya know what would be cool for that, is if we were able to actually sign up to get alerted to those by email, instead of having to physically be at the computer to have to go to the link then find the feed.

Many of us have the mobile apps to listen to feeds on our cell phones etc..Just thought that'd be a nice way to be alerted. As much as it's a great idea, I think this would actually drive the traffic to the feeds that much quicker. And possibly more listeners to coincide with this new program.

The only bad thing about having the feeds with active incidents sent to us via email is the fact that some broadcasters don't seem to understand what that update is for. They often confuse the News and Feed Alerts box with the Status Message box and put things that have nothing to do with active incidents for all to see. I even noticed one feed provider asking for donations and to send them a pm if anyone was able to help out. Keep in mind the moderating team does a great job of cleaning up those type of things. But to open up an email thinking it's a breaking event only to find out it's just Joe Bob reprogramming their radio and their feed will be right back can be a bit annoying.

Last edited:

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
The only bad thing about having the feeds with active incidents sent to us via email is the fact that some broadcasters don't seem to understand what that update is for. They often confuse the News and Feed Alerts box with the Status Message box and put things that have nothing to do with active incidents for all to see. I even noticed one feed provider asking for donations and to send them a pm if anyone was able to help out. Keep in mind the moderating team does a great job of cleaning up those type of things. But to open up an email thinking it's a breaking event only to find out it's just Joe Bob reprogramming their radio and their feed will be right back can be a bit annoying.

You do have a great point here. We try our best to remove these type messages and let the providers know what the news and alert should be used for. As you stated im sure someone does not want to know Joe Bob is reprogramming their radio :D.

guitarbrian30

thanks

Great idea! I need to have more listeners anyway!

Now with the new updated feed program. No crashes :) up time is way better :)

Thanks again!

CSHIFTLT

Feed Provider
I like the idea (incentive) but, has my County Fire Dept. provides the feed as a service (because of the closed digital system) could we op for having are archives opened up, instead of a monetary gift?
thanks
cshiftlt

Status
Not open for further replies.