why not CB and scanner in one unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oligranate

hello!
Ladies and Gentleman, please excuse my ignorance on the matter. I have almost no knowledge on the subject (which is why I am here, to learn). I am interested in having a scanner-type unit with which to receive police, fire and EMT transmissions. I would also like to be able to chime in on those transmissions when legal to do so, as well as use the same unit to do the 40-channel CB-ing.
Here is a scenario: I hear a transmission that there is a car accident and medical assistance is needed. I am only a block away, and being first aid-CPR certified, I can provide reasonable assistance until ambulances arrive. While listening to the accident report on the scanner, I grab the handset, squeeze the button and speak into the same channel that I am near by and can assist until help arrives.
I briefly looked on the internet for a CB-scanner combo in one unit and was shocked to discover that there is no such thing. Here is where my blissful ignorance comes into play! I just can't understand why there is no CB-scanner in one unit!
Thank you all for your input!

captclint

Mentor
Welcome to RR. First, it is illegal to transmit(talk) on public safety (police, fire , Amb) channels unless you are authorized by an agency such as your own local FD. Second, combination units are often a compromise compared to an individual scanner and CB unit, and probably larger than current scanners. The interest in CB as a safety reporting function (REACT) Thas fallen off with cell phones, so even if a combo unit could be built, it would not likely generate enough sales to justify the added expense. With digital scanners running around $500, it is hard enough to justify that expense, let alone another $100-150 for a CB capable radio.
Your best bet is a cell phone call to the 911 ctr stating your location, any assessment of fluids down, entrapment, and number of persons injured. If you can help with First Aid, go for it.

Last edited:

ddoorman

I would not buy a scanner with a CB built in. I would not pay the extra money for such a device. Have you recently heard the traffic on the CB band? Total garbage as far as I am concerned.

Furthermore, you state that you would like to "to chime in on those transmissions when legal to do so". Tell me sir are you employed by the local police dept/sheriff dept, fire dept/EMT in your area (or any area)? If the answer is "no" then you may not "chime in" . Those freq's are for the sole use of professional people that are sworn to serve the public. I get the impression (right or wrong) that such a classification does not fit you.

N8IAA

If you are hearing a call out to PD or FD, they will be responding rather quickly and have basic knowledge of any injuries on scene. CB's do not transmit on the PD, or, FD frequencies. As has been pointed out, you must be authorized by the local PD/FD to have a radio capable of transmitting on their frequencies. We all would like to be first responders:) My suggestion is to contact your local PD/FD and see if they have an citizen's police, or, fire academy available for you to participate in. It will give you a working knowledge of what the responsiblilites are for PD/FD.
Larry

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
Unless its within visual range of my house involving my neighbors. I just call 911. I never stop or respond to anything.

CompuDoc

While your intentions are good giving someone CPR or other first aid is not something I would perform on a person if I was certified when an ambulance has been dispatched. In the area I live in the police are first on the scene while the paramedics have already been dispatched and are enroute as well as the First Aid Squad has been dispatched. If the ambulance is not able to get to the scene the paramedics can and will transport.

If you really want to help out then I would advise that you join your local volunteer ambulance squad. Depending on where you live in relation to the squad building they may or may not give you an HT. I know someone in CA who actually sometimes will have the ambulance at his house because him and his GF are usually the only responders and the closest since they are in a very rural area. Just showing up at a call and performing first aid on a person might actually cause more harm than good. If you were to injure someone further your opening yourself up to a lawsuit. The only time you should use your CPR and first aid capabilities is when your at the scene already an example would be if your at a restaurant and someone is choking and your at the same restaurant at the same time.

W6KRU

Due to some of the court cases I have heard about, I would never give aid to an injured person for fear of having to defend my actions in court. It is a sad situation but that is how I feel. I once came upon a down bicyclist that was involved in a hit and run. I summoned help and used my motorcycle to block the lane he was lying in but there was no way I would touch him.

N

N_Jay

Due to some of the court cases I have heard about, I would never give aid to an injured person for fear of having to defend my actions in court. It is a sad situation but that is how I feel. I once came upon a down bicyclist that was involved in a hit and run. I summoned help and used my motorcycle to block the lane he was lying in but there was no way I would touch him.

Do you have a link to any of these cases.

Almost every state has protections for good Samaritans.

There are many rumors of cases, but they usually are not much more than urban legends.

Last edited:

colby4601

Do you have a link to any of these cases.

There are many rumors of cases, but they usually are not much more than urban legends.

Ditto.

Those good Samaritan laws are there to protect the people who are just that. Of course, there are a few rules you need to follow in order to be protected by them, but almost all of the rumors out there are absolute hogwash.

W6KRU

Do you have a link top any of these cases.

I don't take note of these cases, just sigh and move on but here is one.

Woman Sued for Rescue Effort in Car Crash - ABC News

And another.

Good samaritan sued after saving co-worker - KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTNV.com,Action News .:.

Notice that both of those stories say that even good samaritan laws may not protect you. There are more stories, just google "samaritan lawsuit".

N

N_Jay

Both articles were the same event, and it was "The case -- the first of its kind --".

It is not commonplace, and lets hope it does not become so. (except in CA where the judges are crazy and the lawyers run amok.)

W6KRU

Both articles were the same event, and it was "The case -- the first of its kind --".

It is not commonplace, and lets hope it does not become so. (except in CA where the judges are crazy and the lawyers run amok.)

You're right Jay. I didn't notice that when I sped red the second one that I found. I might be paranoid but I would be really hesitant to help someone that needs it due to the litigious nature of the people in the state of CA.

Now that we have completely jacked this thread maybe we should go to PM if you want to continue this discussion. Sorry to the OP.

reedeb

Actuallly CB is Am mode while most scanners are FM mode THAT right there will make it unobtainable Just get a CB and a scanner and mount them under each other if you like And if you like get your ham license [very easy to get] and have a ham radio in the mix as well. I enjoy ALL 3 types of communications each has it's good and bad points.

N8IAA

It is now almost twenty-four hours since the OP has been on here. Something tells me he's yanking our accummulative chains:>P
Larry

Astrak

Actuallly CB is Am mode while most scanners are FM mode THAT right there will make it unobtainable Just get a CB and a scanner and mount them under each other if you like And if you like get your ham license [very easy to get] and have a ham radio in the mix as well. I enjoy ALL 3 types of communications each has it's good and bad points.
Most scanners receive AM as well as FM, this includes the CB band.

plato

Scanner with C.B. built in.

Many years ago, 1970's era, Lafayette Radio Corp. had a C.B. radio with a tuneable v.h.f. high band ( 150-174 Mhz.) receiver built into it.

ampulman

If you are xxxx certified, why not just show up and offer/apply your services? Do you need permission?

Even if (technically speaking) you had the ability to transmit on any frequency, can you imagine the chaos that would create?

As stated, just listen in on CB.

Amp

Last edited:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber

While I agree that getting two radios is the best solution (if the OP isn't trolling), it really wouldn't be that hard to make a radio with both an AM transceiver and FM receiver built in (there were plenty of in-dash AM/FM/CB combos in the 70's and 80's). The boards aren't that big anymore, and putting an FM receive board in wouldn't cause any other issues that the probable need for two antennas. As far as a CB capable of also being a transceiver on FM? Well, that brings in a bunch of switching circuitry, microphone impedance matching and other things that would make it cost prohibitive, especially given the small target for marketability, not to mention the outrage of such a product being available to the general public by the public safety community. I can only hope that this person is trolling, and not as ignorant as they claim to be, as they are really setting themselves up for future trouble by thinking that being a certified CPR provider or certified first responder they are now authorized to communicate with the professionals that respond to these incidents regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.