BCT15X Easy Question??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tillerdog

Premium Subscriber
After reviewing and re-reviewing both the "Easier to Read" and Uniden user manuals for the BCT15X, I think I've successfully programmed all the trunked and conventional systems and groups correctly. However, the scanner doesn't seem to "scan" all the systems. The S/O line in the display showing the active quick keys only has the system scanning (i.e. "flashing") on # 1. All the other programmed quick keys are displayed, but they don't "flash" nor do the system/group alpha identifiers appear as though they're being scanned.

This has to be something that I've done as the systems that were programmed by the vendor from whom I purchased the scanner scanned perfectly. After my programming, those systems are still there, but only # 1 appears to be scanning. I've double-checked the lockout features on all systems, groups, and channels. I've also utilized another scanner to confirm that during active incidents, the bct15x is, in fact, not scanning/receiving the active channels.

After the long process of learning the programming, my frustration factor is high as I believe that this is something very simple that I'm missing.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Welcome to Radioreference tillerdog!

Are you sure the Quick System Key is enabled for the systems you wish to monitor? I would try pressing the number button associated with the system assigned to see if it begins scanning. If this doesn't work, check again to see that the system is not locked out in the MENU/Program Systems, for each system you want to scan.

SCPD

QRT
After reviewing and re-reviewing both the "Easier to Read" and Uniden user manuals for the BCT15X, I think I've successfully programmed all the trunked and conventional systems and groups correctly. However, the scanner doesn't seem to "scan" all the systems. The S/O line in the display showing the active quick keys only has the system scanning (i.e. "flashing") on # 1. All the other programmed quick keys are displayed, but they don't "flash" nor do the system/group alpha identifiers appear as though they're being scanned.

This has to be something that I've done as the systems that were programmed by the vendor from whom I purchased the scanner scanned perfectly. After my programming, those systems are still there, but only # 1 appears to be scanning. I've double-checked the lockout features on all systems, groups, and channels. I've also utilized another scanner to confirm that during active incidents, the bct15x is, in fact, not scanning/receiving the active channels.

After the long process of learning the programming, my frustration factor is high as I believe that this is something very simple that I'm missing.

For the trunked system(s) have you created any talk groups?
Are the talk groups locked out by any chance?

Hold > Func > Scroll knob to system > wait for F icon to disappear > Func > Menu > Edit Group

Also when scanning make sure that the scanner is in ID search mode, while scanning the system press Func > Scan/Search

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
What the display is showing could also happen if the systems other than those on SQK 1 are locked out.

tillerdog

Premium Subscriber
Thanks very much for the speedy replies. I've tried everything mentioned - including double-checking ALL the lockouts. Unfortunately, it still seems that it will only scan one "system" at a time. When I Function > Scan, I can page through each system, select one, and the unit will then scan that system. It doesn't seem to scan any of the others, though, unless I physically scroll through and select an individual system to be scanned.

If I select one of the trunked systems, it scans it fine, so I don't believe that it's a trunking issue.

It simply seems that I've removed some feature that allows the scanner to scan ALL the systems that are selected using the quick keys. Again, the "tip-off" was that only one quick key would "flash" and only the alpha text for that "flashing" quick key would display in the scan mode.

Also, the display does show "ID Search" in whichever quick key is specified for scanning.

Thanks again for the help. Any other advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

skyz

Tiller Dog I seem to be having the same problem! when I hit the quick key it says I have nothing to scan, I am not new to scanners, I use to do it manually, but my BC15 seems to be getting the best of me! I even done the new firmware update, doesnt help. I have programmed this scanner before, but for some reason its not scanning!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will keep scouring the internet and posts til I hope I find the answer! Will let u know, I am going on the third night, gonna be a long one tonight!
Good Luck! Skyz

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
skyz: Nothing to Scan - The RadioReference Wiki

tillerdog: It isn't possible to take out that function, so I suspect you have some things locked out (which is different from disabling their SQKs) that you haven't found. Or, if the ones that don't seem to be scanned are conventional systems, the scanner is going past them so quickly the scanner doesn't have time to flash the SQK indicator.

NJC4481

Premium Subscriber
BCT15X Scanning issues

I use my computer to program my scanner so I will try to help. I found that I couldn't fix the problem from the face of the scanner. I programmed the scanner the first time fine but when I went in to change something when I was finished I lost my scan function for one of my groups..Man this drove me crazy, I'm also very into this so programming radios is a normal thing for me and this SCANNER beat me!!! So anyway try this, go into the program and enter the group you need to scan. When you enter the group the first page will be the one where you name the site. At the bottom of the page you"ll see quick key boxes (I think there's 10). If you have one group programmed in a site then only the first box needs to be checked, if you have multiple groups within a site then all the boxes that you need should be checked..This seemed to fix my problem so maybe it will help you also..

skyz

Bc15

T-Dog I found my problem, and scanning great! The problem with mine was one of 2 things, when programming from my arc15pro software, it appeared to be loading everything fine, but when loaded, scanner would say nothing to scan. One thing I found was even though I was downloading fine from website, the place where you put website address in was empty! So I put in http://www.radioreference.com, and also there was ``no quick keys enabled``. I dont see how it was possible that a web address would make a difference, when I was loading from website, but the area where you put in webaddress was blank..........
Go figure! Anywaz............ I hope it helps with yours, I found thru the years it usually the simpliest of things that seem the hardest.`

Happy Scanning!
Skyz

Last edited:

tillerdog

Premium Subscriber
Believe it or not, I may have found the problem. As I suspected, it seems as though it should be an easy fix. However, I can't seem to master it. It seems that the scanner is in the "HOLD" mode and will only scan the system selected using the quick keys. After again re-reading the manual(s), I can seem to get it to release so that it scans all quick keys that are activated.

I guess the operable question now is, "How do I get this to release the HOLD mode?" I think I've tried just about every "Function" > "Hold" combination imaginable.

Also, I've tried scanning on each system individually and all the channels and settings appear to function properly (i.e. no "lockouts" that may be causing a problem).

The only issue is that it won't scan all the systems that are activated. It only scans the one that is selected using the "Function" key and scrolling...

I've probably already read the solution, but I'm a little fried with the manuals right now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.