BCT-15 Backlight Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanWorcester

Feed Provider
I'm aware of the "issue" with the BCT-15 backlight/keypad. (Re: BCT15 keypad repair info and pics and BCT15/BCD996T Keypad Ribbon Cable Poll) I reseated the cable the first time, and my issue was fixed... until a second time. Reseated = fixed. And I'm now on my third issue with the backlight quitting. The radio is mounted in a well-controlled interior environment. There is no moisture, temperature or mobility issues. It's permanently mounted.The radio is out of warranty.

At this point, what is the permanent fix for this? I'd say it's starting to irk me, but it actually did that the first time it happened after I realized that this was a known issue.

Last edited:

bpsmicro

Back in the day when local shops made custom PCs for power/business users, a common tactic was to put a small blob of silicone glue on the ribbon connectors (the outsides, not where the pins are). Once dried, this greatly minimized the chances of the connector vibrating loose, but wasn't "permanent" so if you ever needed to unplug it, you still could.

My own 996T in the car has never had this problem (curiously), so I'm *not* speaking from personal experience as far as the BCT-15, but if it were me, that's what I'd try.

Brad.

ScanWorcester

Feed Provider
Ok, perhaps I wasn't clear enough...

Back in the day ... a common tactic was to put a small blob of silicone glue on the ribbon connectors ... Once dried, this greatly minimized the chances of the connector vibrating loose ... but if it were me, that's what I'd try.

The radio is mounted in a well-controlled interior environment. There are no moisture, temperature or mobility issues. It's permanently mounted.The radio is out of warranty.

Vibration is NOT the cause. In fact, the radio is isolated from the SOLID desk that it is mounted on, by rubber washers.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Ah, so I'm the only one having this problem. Got it.

lol, after the way you jumped on Brad for his response I'm not surprised not one else is excited to assist you.

I have 4 BCT-15s and have not experienced this problem with any of them over the past few years. If it is not vibration is it near anything which may be causing static buildup maybe? Other than that can't think of anything else to suggest unless you could get a hold of a replacement cable to test out...

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Back in the day when local shops made custom PCs for power/business users, a common tactic was to put a small blob of silicone glue on the ribbon connectors (the outsides, not where the pins are). Once dried, this greatly minimized the chances of the connector vibrating loose, but wasn't "permanent" so if you ever needed to unplug it, you still could.

My own 996T in the car has never had this problem (curiously), so I'm *not* speaking from personal experience as far as the BCT-15, but if it were me, that's what I'd try.

This is the method used by our repair center when a unit comes in with this condition. We nearly never get repeat returns.

ScanWorcester

Feed Provider
This is the method used by our repair center when a unit comes in with this condition. We nearly never get repeat returns.

Since Caesar has 4 of these radios and never experienced the problem, and I only have 1 and am experiencing the problem, I obviously am the exception to the rule... Just like the BCD396t and the EDACS beep issue, but that is neither here nor there at this point. That said, you say that the repair center "nearly never got returns" for the same problem, which means you did get them. Since I've got you here now, what was the fix for those "rare" return-after-fix radios?

lol, after the way you jumped on Brad for his response I'm not surprised not one else is excited to assist you.

Unlike many other people in public forums, I take the time for a well thought out and well written post/question. I specifically include all of the details, including those silly ones which would result in the probable asking of questions that waste my time. Because I had to reiterate my statement a second time, I "jumped" on him? I don't think so. I was only making it perfectly clear, just as I prefaced and quoted his own words with mine.

ScanWorcester

Feed Provider
I have no personal knowledge of any coming back a second time.

I put some stiff silicon on the edge of the clips (both of them) last night. The backlight came back to life, per usual. The radio has been on and unattended for about 4 hours now, and the backlight is out again. Whether or not the light went out 10 seconds after I left, or 10 seconds before I got back, this is indeed the shortest time ever that the backlight has been "fixed".

Suggestions Paul? I also emailed you directly a week ago.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I really cannot recommend anything beyond repair.

Sorry I missed your email. I've been out of the country for an extended period and sometimes email (and internet access) is an issue. Other times, I just wish it was an issue. :)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
From the web site:

Uniden Web Site said:
Shipping and applicable taxes will be added to these charges. Please include $10 for shipping & handling charges. International charges will vary. The return information section will show you exactly how to send your product in for repair.

Uniden recognizes that our customers prefer choices. For your convenience we've added our on-line store pricing for comparison to our repair rates.
Model Repair Available Repair Price Refurbished Online Store Price
BCT15 Yes $49.50 - Unavailable
BCT15X Yes $49.50 - Unavailable

Start at Uniden | A World Without Wires - Uniden Repair Center

Status
Not open for further replies.