Livingston County Listening

Status
Not open for further replies.

gigahacker

Premium Subscriber
I have been using a Pro-2096 in Livingston County for about 7 years (have feed on RR). I picked up a BC785D a while ago and cannot get to to trunk properly.

I tried doing the "control channel only" setup but it errors stating "no control channel" when a station keys up. I tried both PLAN 2 and PLAN 3 but neither work.

I tried programming all 42 channels (same freqs in have in the Pro-2096) and just have it scan. It does stop and play digital stations but that not trunking its just scanning a bunch of digital freqs and playing whats in my talk groups. I don't think this is correct.

Anyone else using a BC785D in Livingston? If so can you send me a setup file or give me a hint on how to set it up?

What is a good software package for this scanner?

diskmonger

Maybe someone else who has a BC785D can say for sure, but I don't think the 785 supports the 9600 baud control channel that the MPSCS system uses.

The older BC785D doesn't support CQPSK modulation and detects C4FM modulation only when equipped with an optional BCi 25D card. It will not track the 9600 hundred baud trunked systems. ]

The newer version of this scanner is BC796D Which can detect APCO-25 Using C4FM or
CQPSK modulation schemes and does track 3600 and 9600 Baud

Last edited:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Oslo is not quite correct. This scanner doesn't support 9600 baud CC's as mentioned by diskmonger.

Livingston Co doesn't use CQPSK so that's not an issue.

bsrepellant

Oslo is not quite correct. This scanner doesn't support 9600 baud CC's as mentioned by diskmonger.

Livingston Co doesn't use CQPSK so that's not an issue.

The second paragraph is talking about the 796D, which does.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
The second paragraph is talking about the 796D, which does.

But nobody here was talking about the 796D until Oslo edited his post after mine ;)

The OP doesn't have a 796D, he has a 785. The question was about scanning MPSCS with the 785, and it cannot be done because of the 9600 baud control channel. CQPSK has nothing to do with this thread, so just wanted to minimize confusion.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.607 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

FYI: While it doesn't matter for a scanner user, Michigan's MPSCS system does indeed use CPQSK, this is the standard for ALL narrowband simulcast systems, Phase II 9600 baud trunking...

Last edited:

gigahacker

Premium Subscriber
OK, that makes sense to me. If I put all the local channels into a bank I can scan the bank and listen to MPSCS but its not trunking. Unless there was an update the APCO25 add-on board only supports 3600 baud rate. I have to ASSUME the digital voice is being sent at 3600 baud but the control channel is being sent at 9600 baud. Therefore I can decode the voice but not the control channel. Is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.