BCD396T and Fairfax County

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4MRW

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I received my BCD396T and started to program it with the Fairfax County frequencies supplied by RadioReference http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=2848 I am however having a lot of problems with the reception, the audio I receive is very choppy and only plays for about half a second or so before cutting off.

Here is how I programmed the frequencies.

1) The system I selected was P25
2) Entered System Name of "Fairfax County"
3) I then entered all of the frequencies displayed in the list

Steps 1 - 3 are what I did intitally.

I then set up Talkgroups:

1) Created a group called "Herndon"
2) I then entered the channels below:

Herndon Talkgroups

DEC HEX Description
20976 51f Police Dispatch
21008 521 Police Tactical 1
21040 523 Police Tactical 2
21072 525 Police Tactical 3
21104 527 Police Tactical 4

I entered the DEC number, correct?

I then placed the scanner into Scan Mode, but still receive the same results. The scanner displays the System Name and then "SCAN ID SEARCH" scrolls below that i.e.

Fairfax County
SCAN ID SEARCH

Am I doing something wrong here?

I live in Herndon and so should be able to pick up Reston, Herndon area easily.

Thanks, Mark KB3IPD

h8tdigitalradio

Feed Provider
kb3ipd said:
Am I doing something wrong here?
Hello,

If you programmed the system as MOT P25, it is the wrong system type. Try MOT 800 STANDARD setting and see if the system tracks properly.

Dave AKA The Tripzter :shock:

Al42

You might find that by tuning the P25 decode (Func-knob-knob - then hold the function button in and turn the knob to tune) a little higher (11-12) the audio might sound a little better. (I don't know if the tuning is system-dependent or scanner-dependent, but mine works better for Fairfax up there. [It's a Smartzone system with P25 audio.])

WesFFXFire

Just because you live in Herndon means nothing about who you can pick up. No matter where a unit is in the county it's sent to all 11 transmitters throughout the county. I was in Herndon last night and I could hear units on Rt1 loud and clear.......

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
To those that have the BCD396T and monitor Fairfax, what have you determined to be the best decode threshold number for clear audio? Ie., 7,8,9,10,11, etc) I travel through to DC every day but have not had a chance to figure out if I have it at the best level.
Thanks,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.