Feed drops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

btlacer

KI4SJU/ Fire Captain/ EMTFR
For some reason my feed keeps going down, I have on the ScannerCast settings to have it connect on startup and start it minimized. I have checked my computer power settings thinking that the hard drive was turning off. I have it set to always on and no hybernation. I have checked my scheduled task thinking maybe something was restarting my computer and there is nothing in my scheduled task. Now when I get the offline email for my feed I will look at the ScannerCast settings box it still shows as my feed is still running, I then click stop broadcasting and then click Start broadcast and the scanner goes back on line. Whats the problem? anyone else having the same problem? Please help.

Thanks

reedo

Premium Subscriber
I was having the same problem until I removed AVG anti-virus from my computer. Installed Microsoft
Security Essentials in it's place and end of problem.

btlacer

Yes I have AVG installed on my computer as well, is the microsoft Security Ess. any good? is it free as well?

reedo

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it's free. It's a basic program with bland reviews. I will replace it sometime. Right now the feed computer is running very stable and that's a good thing. Try removing AVG and install another anti virus in it's place and see how it plays.

kb0vkt

Feed goes offline

The Willmar MN Feed as well is dropping offline and not reconnecting to the server.
and yes i am running avg antivirus as well.
question is why should i have to delete my antivirus just for compatibility with scannercast.
maybe the developers need to sit down and rewrite the code and fix these issues.
haven't seen an update for the program in months.

now i have noticed it is not putting how many connections i have on the main window.
if anyone knows how to fix that let me know.

PeterGV

K1PGV
question is why should i have to delete my antivirus just for compatibility with scannercast.
maybe the developers need to sit down and rewrite the code and fix these issues.

Because AVG is junk and seriously broken. It's not even a good antivirus program. It's the AVG developers that need to "rewrite the code and fix these issues." ScannerCast works properly. If you don't believe me, spend some time on the AVG forum where reports of broken network connections are common.

haven't seen an update for the program in months.

That's because there are very, very, few bugs to fix. The last release of ScannerCast Std Edtion was in March/April. A new release of ScannerCast RR Edition will happen soon. These releases fix exactly one bug, and a short list of cosmetic issues.

No bugs = no new releases. It's really that simple.

now i have noticed it is not putting how many connections i have on the main window.
if anyone knows how to fix that let me know.

You DO realize that the connection code shown in the Status window applies to DIRECT connections to ScannerCast only, not to listeners through RR, right??

Peter
K1PGV

PeterGV

K1PGV
Regarding Microsoft Security Essentials:

Yes, it's free. It's a basic program with bland reviews.

Actually, it's a basic program that's gotten exceptionally good reviews in terms of virus detection. And, it tends to "play well with others" in terms of interoperability (this is not a guess, I work in this field and this evaluation of MSE interoperability is based on actual observation).

Disclaimer: I have no relationship -- commercial or otherwise -- with anything to do with this program.

Peter
K1PGV

btlacer

Well I have downloaded it, and so far no drops! Glad of that, thanks for everyones input..

reedo

Premium Subscriber
Regarding Microsoft Security Essentials:

Actually, it's a basic program that's gotten exceptionally good reviews in terms of virus detection. And, it tends to "play well with others" in terms of interoperability (this is not a guess, I work in this field and this evaluation of MSE interoperability is based on actual observation).

Disclaimer: I have no relationship -- commercial or otherwise -- with anything to do with this program.

Peter
K1PGV

One of my references was a PC Magazine review, September 29, 2009. It stated...."Installing the free Microsoft Security Essentials will protect your system from malware—to a degree. But you'll get better protection from one of the other well-known free anti-malware products."

That said, MSE is working for me.

Last edited:

dloseke

I too have issues with one of my laptops dropping the connection....the other works fine. Both are using wireless connections so I figured one was dropping the wireless (despite being less than 2' away from the router which I guess could be too close), but I'll try removing AVG and see what happens....thanks guys.

BTW, some may trash talk AVG, but I think it works great. I've seen stuff get though NOD and didn't care much for Avira, though a friend did suggest MSE...thanks for the hint again!

dloseke

It's a world of you get what you pay for. Fortunately, sometimes you can get a pretty awesome product for free....love Open Source software....some of the free stuff is much better than the pay stuff too!

PeterGV

K1PGV
Why not, if the free software is trash shouldn't it be trashed? BTW MSE is great.

As an author of free software, I couldn't agree more.

Just cuz something's "free" doesn't mean users should have to put up with junk. Programs used by the public should ALL be expected to meet SOME minimum level of engineering quality.. unless they are obviously released/distributed as "incomplete" or "test quality"...

Peter
K1PGV

KB0VWG

Mse works good for me to

I had been a windows live onecare customer until they ended that and so now I am trying out Mse and it works great,Its found stuff that my onecare didnt. Consumer reports rated Avira #1 and Mse #2 but I think its should the other way around.
kb0vwg

Status
Not open for further replies.