20-047: Scanner Programming Cable gone from RS website

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanpprcn

Premium Subscriber
The past couple of days the scanner programming cable for the Pro-106 and Pro-197 (and many others) is missing from the RS website following the $19.99 sale.

The part number was 20-047.

Hmmm...

Edit: I called the local RS store and they said it's in the computer as "discontinued" at a current price of $29.99.

Last edited:

kdkoch

That cable is gone. It will be replace by a new one that also comes with a trial of Butel for the customer to program thier own radio. The stores will not be using Scancat anymore (thank god) but that means for a little while, the stores will not be programming radios at all. The new part number will be 200-0546. Stores wont have this till probably end of August.

sadatoni

Premium Subscriber
Glad they're getting rid of Scancat. I demoed it and it worked just once. Every time after that it complained I didn't have enough memory to run it (it wanted 512 MB, and I have 6 gig of memory).

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's a good time to document other manufacturer's cables that are also known to work with the GRE or RS models. This can, and should, be entered in our wiki since this is likely to become a question that arises again and again once the GRE USB cables get to be in short supply. 73 Mike

scanpprcn

Premium Subscriber
It's a good time to document other manufacturer's cables that are also known to work with the GRE or RS models...

Nice idea.

Also, for those "in-the-know" about RS pricing on discontinued items, at what point will they mark the 20-047's down to a lower price?

giallocali

Just an FYI,
Two of my local RS have the discontinued cables in stock. They are labeled $34.99 on the shelves, but when scanned at the register, the price comes up $19.99.

RickS31

I believe that $19.99 price on the cable in-store ended on Saturday, July 3rd. I had purchased one a couple of weeks ago for $24.99 and then saw it on RS site for $19.99. Talked to store manager and he said he'd rebate my additional $5 if I came in with receipt before end of day Saturday since that was the end of the sale.
Got it.

However, the store still had a couple of them on the shelf. Do't know what they may sell for. Was typically $29.99.

Rick

jamesa53

The ones I have seen in the 2 local RS stores are date coded "06" so they have been there a while. Perhaps this is why they are on clearance.

jamesa53

That cable is gone. It will be replace by a new one that also comes with a trial of Butel for the customer to program thier own radio. The stores will not be using Scancat anymore (thank god) but that means for a little while, the stores will not be programming radios at all. The new part number will be 200-0546. Stores wont have this till probably end of August.

Butel.........ewwwwwwwww, IMHO. That will certainly endear new enthusiasts to programming by software, however its much better than ScanCat. My local RS stores do not program scanners at all, they just refer you to a RS number on your receipt where you can hear a voice read the programming instructions from the manual to you.

jamesa53

WOW!!!

How did you find this?

Is this the link to the BuTel software? Does it include the driver for the cable?

kdkoch

I was kinda hoping the site would link to the different software available, not just one company. Nothing against Butel but the other ones are nice apps too.

sadatoni

Premium Subscriber
Interestingly, my cable came with the driver software, but when I let Win 7 install the driver. I then downloaded the current driver. Then tried to to get windows to update it. Windows said it was already at the current version. Been working ever since.

scanpprcn

Premium Subscriber
I called the local store again, and they said that even though they see the discontinued code, the computer hasn't changed the price. It's still $29.99

:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.