IC-RX7 CSV File Format & Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyByNight

Hi Everyone,
After a ten year leave of absence from scanners and receivers I have just taken the plunge and bought an RX7. Whilst I am waiting for it to arrive I would like to start organising my frequencies ready for programming. I have a couple of questions that I hope you RX7 owners might be able to help me with:

Firstly, I understand that the data files used to program the RX7 are just a standard CSV format. Can anyone help me by providing the field list and the data types and requirements. eg.

frequency, fixed, 0000.0000
category, text, 16 chars
etc.

Secondly, Is it possible to program the RX7 from the PC without using the Icom software? In an ideal world I would plug in the USB cable, the RX7 shows up as a device, I drag a CSV file to the device, RX7 is now ready for action - am I living in a fantasy world?

I use Mac computers but I have VirtualBox in order to run any Windows apps so if I have to I'll get the CS-RX7 software. I am hoping that I'll be able to design and build an RX7 programming application for Mac eventually but I have a hectic schedule for the next few months so it won't happen any time soon.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Paul.

questnz

Icom RX-7

Hi, I don't have all answers but some may help.
CS-RX-7 comes in Windows only version, and it is still version 1.00, no updates as yet. Very basic programming software and you can't use software to control scanner. Standard file extension is .icf but you can import and export in .csv You can't use PC to program RX7 without software. Here is sample of my Police file and CS7 fields layout in . PDF. Sorry no drag and drop either.

Hope this help.

Chris

Attachments

• icom RX7 Police.pdf
    16.5 KB · Views: 587

FlyByNight

Hi Chris,
Thanks for that info. That certainly gives me somewhere to start from. I hadn't realised that there were that many fields for each record.

I find it really annoying that Icom charge so much for their software and USB cable, it almost drove me to buy a Uniden and use the excellent BCTool. Any other software of that quality/complexity would probably be freeware or budget shareware. A receiver at that price should include a 50c USB cable and a piece of simple software, heck Uniden include them with their lower end scanners! I'll seriously be looking into the possibility of writing my own software for Mac, I may even look at writing some control software too.

Thanks again,
Paul.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
Hi Everyone,
Secondly, Is it possible to program the RX7 from the PC without using the Icom software? In an ideal world I would plug in the USB cable, the RX7 shows up as a device, I drag a CSV file to the device, RX7 is now ready for action - am I living in a fantasy world?

I use Mac computers but I have VirtualBox in order to run any Windows apps so if I have to I'll get the CS-RX7 software. I am hoping that I'll be able to design and build an RX7 programming application for Mac eventually but I have a hectic schedule for the next few months so it won't happen any time soon.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Paul.
It might be worth while having a look at this Site. I believe the IC-RX7 address is Hex 78.

--
Comint

Last edited:

FlyByNight

Thanks for that Comint. I stumbled across that very site last night and began reading through - there's some very useful info on there. I have only skimmed it so far but as soon as I get a moment I'll get stuck in to it.

I have just ordered the Icom software and cable so I am hoping to get a good handle on whats what by playing with that. I think between the CS-RX7 and the site that you recommended I should be able to start piecing together some ideas for programming software which eventually I can build a GUI for.

Thanks again,
Paul.

hooperkj

I'm looking into writing my own software for the RX7 and came upon this thread. Have you made any progress with writing code for your radio?
Regards
Ken

phillmobile

a note if you program any channel with dsc code turn the vsc on too as the scanner scans that fast it doesnt have time to decode its crazy but true there is a video on youtube showing this

hooperkj

phillmobile
Thanks for the tip. I haven't started any software development as yet. The the command table in the RX7 user's manual seems incomplete and I've had no success searching the web for a comprehensive list of commands for this radio.
Regards
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.