Bull Run action

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Listen to the Bull Run event on CSP channels.
They stopped in Boulder last night after eluding CSP on back roads. Were reported many times by cellphone.

They are on the go now hearing them be reported on CSP 1D.

Allegedly the participants are penalized for speeding.

That might be why "bull" is in the name.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Red Audi being pursued in excess 100 approaching Idaho Springs.
CSP pursuer getting hung up in traffic but Motorola has gotten county and Idaho Spgs alerted too.

Red BMW, not Audi. Connecticut plate. Stopped at MM239.

Must be a charity event as I'm sure he'll be donating to the State.....

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
(on CSP 6A)

Driver going to jail for 40 over.
Revoked Connecticut licens.

We appreciate the contribution to our State's operating budget.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Hit that one on the nose.

While that one was being chased a group of 10 others was being "contacted" by CSP.
They weren't misbehaving but the Trooper was advising them. So it was catch-and-release for them for that contact. Maybe Red Racer will give the group a call for bail $$.

nathancarlson

this sounds similar to a group I found on youtube called "super speeders" that go racing across the country in exotic cars to make money selling videos. In one of the trailers I saw a Lamborgeni stopped by Colorado State Patrol!

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
This doesn't deserve to be called rally. Real rally is on closed roads in safe conditions.

This is also not to be confused with the TV show "Bullrun", which does a similar cross-country competition with a little less disregard for the law.

Kudos to any law enforcement agencies putting these guys off the road.

Ryfly

Premium Subscriber

HAha!! Thats amazing, I'm still not sure how the one guy was able to do 105mph somewhere along I-70 between Genesee and Idaho Springs, what dumb butt since from my own experience, thats one of the areas i see the most speed traps!

Wonder why they chose Colorado vs Wyoming to go through. I imagine Wyoming would be one of those states which have few troopers and long straight stretches of road.

tbiggums

7NEWS article said:
...She said most of the cars were equipped with police scanners so drivers were able to adjust their driving behavior before troopers found the group...

Is it just me that finds this statement a little hard to believe? They may have had scanners, but what are the chances they had them correctly programmed and listening to the right CSP TG at the right time on the right site? I think it would be real tough for someone who isn't from the area, and is probably unfamiliar with the coverage areas of the DTRS sites and how the CSP TG's are used to properly program and use a scanner to effectively monitor CSP. I doubt they have too much time to be playing with a scanner while they're driving through at 80+ mph...

And if they didn't have a newer GRE unit with the newest patch-following firmware, figuring out the correct CSP group to listen to can be pretty tricky.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Is it just me that finds this statement a little hard to believe? They may have had scanners, but what are the chances they had them correctly programmed and listening to the right CSP TG at the right time on the right site?

It seems far-fetched but on their arrival into town I was hearing reports on I-76 and troopers moving to intercept then the group went over onto Hwy 52 - a relatively unusual way to arrive in the area.

Perhaps they had local scanner enthusiast support instead?

I didn't have any trouble following them but I'm setup and have lots of practice.
(no, it wasn't me)

nathancarlson

There are a lot of people that have android, iphone, and blackberrys that have found scanner applications. My sister who knows NOTHING about scanners got interested all of the sudden by finding an ap on her phone! Its set up excatly like the radio reference live audio is, where you select a state, county, and agency. So even if they did not have their scanners programmed correctly, they could have easily found it on their cell phones. I think most of them have a passenger with them that does navigating and would be messing with that. Or they could have just set the scanner to search law enforcement bands, and may have had luck that way. they wouldn't have any clue what they were listening to, but it may have worked.

rckydenver

There are a lot of people that have android, iphone, and blackberrys that have found scanner applications. My sister who knows NOTHING about scanners got interested all of the sudden by finding an ap on her phone! Its set up excatly like the radio reference live audio is, where you select a state, county, and agency. So even if they did not have their scanners programmed correctly, they could have easily found it on their cell phones. I think most of them have a passenger with them that does navigating and would be messing with that. Or they could have just set the scanner to search law enforcement bands, and may have had luck that way. they wouldn't have any clue what they were listening to, but it may have worked.
I have the EVO android phone with a scanner app on it, work really well. I dont even carry my scanner much more when i'm mobile. There some feeds that sound good and other that dont.

http://forums.radioreference.com/st...049-scanner-streaming-apps-android-droid.html

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
If you think they're listening to what is going on in terms of which TG/channel/locale they're in, you're kidding yourselves. They're listening for comms talking about "the $insert_fast_car_here doing 100 on the interstate".

This was demonstrated on past similar TV shows. They use some kind of business band radio (likely production company rental radios) to talk between the cars, likely in simplex; then they have scanners and listen to pretty much all the police that are programmed in, and are listening for anything matching their/their rivals' cars. Usually a team finds out about police by hearing about a rival getting nailed.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
If you think they're listening to what is going on in terms of which TG/channel/locale they're in, you're kidding yourselves. They're listening for comms talking about "the $insert_fast_car_here doing 100 on the interstate".

This was demonstrated on past similar TV shows. They use some kind of business band radio (likely production company rental radios) to talk between the cars, likely in simplex; then they have scanners and listen to pretty much all the police that are programmed in, and are listening for anything matching their/their rivals' cars. Usually a team finds out about police by hearing about a rival getting nailed.

In Colorado, the way to hear law enforcement comms talking about "the fast car doing 100 on the interstate" IS to have the various talkgroups and trunking towers programmed or to be listening to a feed that has the correct agencies and towers programmed. Getting this program correct isn't trivial. (Witness the recurring postings in this forum from new arrivals asking for help figuring out how to program their scanner or what scanner to buy.)

The "public service search" frequencies will reveal little about what's going on with the State Patrol in the Denver area because the threat (to the rally) agencies operate on the Colorade DTRS.

"public service search" would work in Wyoming but they are putting up a VHF P25 system for the state so eventually they'll be complex to program as well.

tbiggums

I agree they must have some pretty good car-to-car comms, whether it be simplex two-way or text message or something... I guess with that, all it takes is one person that has a clue with a scanner, or can listen to an online feed.

If you're far enough away from the front range (like east ot Ft. Morgan/Limon, or west of the continental divide) scanning the DTRS sites in "open" or "ID Search" mode works pretty well, as the majority of the traffic you'll hear is local public safety comms. But you still have to be scanning the right sites for your location... If you're not, you'll never hear the report of the speeding exotic sportscar.

Along the front range, there's so much activity on the DTRS that if you don't carefully pick and choose which TG's you want, you'll be hearing all kinds of irrelavant traffic from across town or that isn't law enforcement.

Buttabean

Super speeders rob & their techniques

Theyre using kenwood tm271 radios simplex on MURS 4 which is 154.5700mhz to communicate with each other & if you listen closely you will hear him say "they heard on the scanner that they are actively pursuing us" after he hangs up the cellphone so someone behind him can slow down (block) the trooper from catching up in time. See video in link

https://youtu.be/2Yd88whKZ28

Status
Not open for further replies.