Scanner picking up baby monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Just curious as to if anyone knows what the typical range is for a baby monitor? Was doing a general search earlier and my PRO-106 stopped on 49.8600 with what sounded like kids playing. The longer I listened the more I figured I was hearing a baby monitor. A quick Google search confirmed that 49.8600 is a frequency used for baby monitors. Trying to figure out where it is coming from, seeing that my immediate neighbors don't have kids as young as these sounded. I figure it has to be close, probably within 500 feet or so.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

SSSG

:)

fineshot1

Yes - this is a common freq along with 49.845 for baby monitors.

Range depends much on the topography of the surrounding
terrain and many other factors but in general as you said a
few hundred feet is typical.

Dreddi

Did a little research and it seems the average range for baby monitors is between 300 and 500' unobstructed. I suppose its possible they could be using a linear amplifier on their unit but I would doubt anyone with a baby would be into radios :p

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I was!

:(
icon9.gif
:(

I would doubt anyone with a baby would be into radios

:lol:

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
I know plenty of people with babies who are quite into radios. They just can't afford the equipment anymore! :)

And anything on lowband could conceivably be heard quite a distance away, depending on conditions. Or it may have trouble being heard next door.

I didn't know anything was still being made using that range of frequencies. Thought it had all moved to 900MHz/2.4GHz and such.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Its 300-500 feet for the transmitter/receiver pair. You can double the range if the transmitting unit is on the second floor of the home. This formula is void if receiving with a scanner. When I had my rooftop discone I could hear 33 MHz drive thru intercoms and 49 MHz baby monitors 6 blocks away. Also don't forget 49MHz is vulnerable to skip conditions. Theres nothing like trying to keep an ear on your niece during nap time only to hear a call for fire suppression from some military range.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Yes - this is a common freq along with 49.845 for baby monitors.

Range depends much on the topography of the surrounding
terrain and many other factors
but in general as you said a
few hundred feet is typical.

Well, I'm beginning to wonder if it's really as close as I originally thought. I still hear it quite often; sometimes it's a clear as a bell and others it's more static than voice. I know it's not polite to eavesdrop, so I don't stay parked on it for more than a minute or two, and up to this point I haven't heard anything juicy anyway.LOL

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well, I'm beginning to wonder if it's really as close as I originally thought. I still hear it quite often; sometimes it's a clear as a bell and others it's more static than voice. I know it's not polite to eavesdrop, so I don't stay parked on it for more than a minute or two, and up to this point I haven't heard anything juicy anyway.LOL

Wait until you stumble across a couple of children(yes- infants!) being abused then you won't feel like you're eavesdropping! Yes i picked up the phone and long story short,the abuse was stopped. So tuning around is a good thing.:wink:
n9zas

SCPD

QRT
Don't forget cordless phones

Oh, and don't forget the old cordless phones that used to work on 49 MHz as well. I used to hear my neighbors talking on their phones all the time.

Not that I was trying to eavesdrop (actually, I was trying to monitor other hobbyists who, for a while, were experimenting on 49 MHz as an alternative to CB and HAM). But what information my neighbors would divulge over their cordless phones, like their credit card numbers, bank account numbers, etc! Lucky for them I was honest.

But then I vividly remember boaters contacting the ship-to-shore operator and asking to place a phone call to someone on the mainland. These boaters read off their credit card numbers on open airwaves like there was no problem. Heck, as recently as 10 years ago a Super Shuttle driver read off my credit card number over her radio, much to my chagrin. Believe me, I kept a close track on my statements for several months thereafter.

Dave
KA6TJF

SignalSeeker

Premium Subscriber
When my kids were little I used my scanner to listen to our baby monitor. My scanner could pick up a clear signal much farther away than the monitor it came with. My wife was still in the house with the baby and the monitor. I would have my scanner listening to the monitor and I could be across the street at the neighbors and get full quieting.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Oh, and don't forget the old cordless phones that used to work on 49 MHz as well. I used to hear my neighbors talking on their phones all the time.

Not that I was trying to eavesdrop (actually, I was trying to monitor other hobbyists who, for a while, were experimenting on 49 MHz as an alternative to CB and HAM). But what information my neighbors would divulge over their cordless phones, like their credit card numbers, bank account numbers, etc! Lucky for them I was honest.

But then I vividly remember boaters contacting the ship-to-shore operator and asking to place a phone call to someone on the mainland. These boaters read off their credit card numbers on open airwaves like there was no problem. Heck, as recently as 10 years ago a Super Shuttle driver read off my credit card number over her radio, much to my chagrin. Believe me, I kept a close track on my statements for several months thereafter.

Dave
KA6TJF

Speaking of reading credit card numbers over the air, one of the local taxi companies I regularly monitor routinely reads off credit card numbers over the air. I could have a shack full of equipment courtesy of John and Joan Q. Public.....if I was that sort of person. As it is, the company is one of the ones we call from the hotel I work at, and I have mentioned it to the dispatcher on more than one occasion that anyone with a scanner can hear the numbers, but they don't seem to care. As a victim of identity theft myself, if I ever have to use them, I'll be paying with cash.

SSSG

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Not really. But if I did nothing,then I wouldn't sleep without knowing if it was stopped.
Sad part was it was one of my neighbors.
n9zas

mparker

i can pick up my sony baby mon in the 40mhz and 800mhz simultaneously...

it must have a two freq system to increase range... dunno... somehow it also knows when its out of range too...

N8siw

Premium Subscriber
Baby monitor for the coop

I use a 49 mhz baby monitor in the chicken coop 24/7.
Excellent alarm clock except during full moon.
You'll know what their mental state is, if they basically happy or in fear of vermin.
The two broadly hens always anounce when they are done laying.
The conversation goes on all day.... Ha Ha...
On the scanner reception is much better.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
The range for a baby monitor in the 49 MHz range is about 200 feet but the primary limitation is the receiver part of the package. Many years ago, I search 49 MHz regularly (49.860 was the main 'walkie talkie ' channel. I found my scanner would pick up baby monitors for at least a mile. The transmitter is a part 15 device and can be up to 100 mW-not a lot but with a receive antenna 20-30 feet up tied to a sensitive receiver, I heard them a mile away. Your mileage may vary but even with a back of set antenna or handheld scanner I would guess 1/2 mile easy.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I use a 49 mhz baby monitor in the chicken coop 24/7.
Excellent alarm clock except during full moon.
You'll know what their mental state is, if they basically happy or in fear of vermin.
The two broadly hens always anounce when they are done laying.
The conversation goes on all day.... Ha Ha...
On the scanner reception is much better.

It's usually pretty irritating when someone brings back a 5 year old thread from the dead. But this was funny enough that it was worthwhile. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.