Facebook and RR feeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlsentell

Feed Provider
Okay, so I know this has been touched on previously, but I can't seem to find any answer.

What's the word on integrating live feeds into a Facebook page? Static FBML doesn't support Javascript so the usual embedding code doesn't work.

I'm actually fairly new to the FBML game, so maybe there's just some way to hammer it in there, but if so, help me out.

Or does RR plan on releasing some kind of Facebook app ... ?

Thanks for any and all help.

D

DaveNF2G

Facebook is not a reliable platform, even for its own apps. I think RR should avoid the tie-in, as the failures will make people mad at RR.com.

sfd119

Why would you want it on your Fbook page anyway? That dosen't make sense to me...

bezking

Does that FBML thing support <iframe>s? If so, just stick it on some other page and iframe it onto the fbml page... It's a bit of a hack, but hey, it should work soooooo........ :D

rlsentell

Feed Provider
Why would you want it on your Fbook page anyway? That dosen't make sense to me...

We are a volunteer ambulance service and we have started using Facebook to try and get some more new members. From interviews with new applicants, it seems that many potential applicants check out our Facebook page before they look at our official website.

It seems that many of our new applicants are friends/acquaintances of current members, and many of our members "like" our page on FB, so that's often how applicants hear about us to start with - FB links them up with our page. We're also thinking of actually advertising on FB and targeting local students (we have a community college nearby).

Anyway, I guess our logic right now is the more functionality we can add to our FB page, the better. Anything to get potential applicants to get sucked into our FB page works for me. Maybe they hear some action on the channel, they get pumped, they think about applying.

I don't really think RR needs a FB app - RR's own platform is fine - I'm just wondering if anybody knows of a way to embed RR's player in a static FBML page.

rlsentell

Feed Provider
Does that FBML thing support <iframe>s? If so, just stick it on some other page and iframe it onto the fbml page... It's a bit of a hack, but hey, it should work soooooo........ :D

Nah, they discontinued iframe support in static FBML pages.

I see some folks are embedding YouTube and Vimeo and things like that in their custom pages. It makes me feel like there must be some way to embed RR's widget in there somewhere. I just don't know how.

EDIT: You can still use iframe in "canvas" FB pages, apparently. I have no idea what "canvas" FB pages are. But I'm looking into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.