Crawford County

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamopt

Premium Subscriber
I found out from a local police officer that they are going digital. One other told me that they are going digital and going to spend an extra $500 per radio to encrypt there radios. I have a Radio Shack Pro-96. I don't know if this is all true or not but I would like to know how I would get around the encryped traffic. I was told by a cop freind that there was a $700 scanner that can do that. Is Crawford County IL enctypting there radios? Is there such a radio that will decrypt?

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
"ENC" is illegal by scanning standards....Even if you purchased a Motorola radio the "ENC" code would not be given to you.....We here in this area will be facing the Aurora, Naperville towns going the same way.....

hamopt

Premium Subscriber
Crawford county, IL

I just hope they don't encrypted there radios. I guess I will find out soon. I have been trying to get on with the Sheriffs Auxiliary, then I wouldn't have to worry about it.

hamopt

Premium Subscriber
I still haven't got a answer to my ? (Is Crawford County, IL going digital and when?)

ducksoup65

Premium Subscriber
Crawford county law enforcement is for sure going digital. Just like several other counties have done in the area. I heard sometime after the first of the year. I also heard that they will only encrypt sensitive information, but that will remain to be seen. It usually gets left on. From what I've seen in other areas the radios issued to the auxillary doesn't have the encryption in them, only sworn gets that.

hamopt

Premium Subscriber
Crawford County possable NEXEDGE Standard upgrade

A cousin of mine is with the Sheriff axillary. He told me that our county is switching to a Kenwood based system called the NEXEDGE Standard. If so then no one will be able to receive them. There is no known scanner that will pick up the NEXEDGE Standard system. Just like the MotoTRBO by Motorola. It may be two years before a scanner is made to receive those systems. The only way you could receive them now is to buy a kenwood Nexedge and a Motorola MotoTRBO radio and have it programed for the Freq of your area. This really blows all to hell.

Last edited:

stevelton

A cousin of mine is with the Sheriff axillary. He told me that our county is switching to a Kenwood based system called the NEXEDGE Standard. If so then no one will be able to receive them. There is no known scanner that will pick up the NEXEDGE Standard system. Just like the MotoTRBO by Motorola. It may be two years before a scanner is made to receive those systems. The only way you could receive them now is to buy a kenwood Nexedge and a Motorola MotoTRBO radio and have it programed for the Freq of your area. This really blows all to hell.

Or if the system is conventional, then Icom IDAS or HYT DMR

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Thats correct, we have a company here that does LTR systems called ABEEP and most all there users are now on NEXEDGE, even the garbage men so i deleted all there TG's...Pretty soon we will be back listening to CB.....

cubn

Database Admin
Thats correct, we have a company here that does LTR systems called ABEEP and most all there users are now on NEXEDGE, even the garbage men so i deleted all there TG's...Pretty soon we will be back listening to CB.....

If there are ABEEP talkgroups listed in the database that aren't used anymore, please send me a list or go ahead and mark them as DEPRECATED yourself.

hamopt

Premium Subscriber
Digital encryption going thru

The whole county has got there new radios and is now ready to switch to digital as soon as dispatch gets there new system. I was told it would be the first of 2013. The encryption will be left on at all times. Which sucks. The sheriff auxiliary will have encrypted radios, they already have been issued them. Everyone has kenwood radios, not sure what flavor of digital they will be using since they are kenwoods. They also have a channel call v-tac.

Last edited:

cifn2

Feed Provider
V-Tac is an analog tactical type interop channel. Probably put it in for interop communications. Kenwood, would be a Nexedge type system. Why go to encryption? Are you sure you are not confusing operating in digital mode vs operating with encrypting? Because NexEdge it's self is not receiveable by scanners currently on the market.

Why are so many of these agencies throwing their emergency planning in reverse? Are they wanting to become less NIMS and interoperable compliant? Has Crawford county done this to flex their muscle as a rural county with money to waste on radio systems, which can be achieved with VHF analog communications which they already have? Or did they have a grant they were awarded for the system? Anyone have insight?

stevelton

I havent seen any FCC licenses for Crawford Co that show anything for NXDN. However, Jasper Co does have NXDN 4k on their license, so Icom or Kenwood radios could be used to listen as long as they are in the clear.

But since with NXDN, encryption comes standard with the radios, most agencies feel they might as well turn it on, since it doesnt cost anything extra.
Fairfield PD did the same thing last year.
It doesnt affect interop as long as the dispatchers working know they will be responsible for calling nearby agencies to inform them of any situations.
Yeah more work for Mike!

I havent heard much activity on Jasper Co's channel, but I have not heard any of it in digital.

Steven

ducksoup65

Premium Subscriber
I was through there on work and I am pretty sure I saw P25 labels on the side of the new KENWOOD portables. On a couple of different occasions.

If they go P25, that wouldn't be near of a interop set back. Really no matter what digital format these departments choose for the main channel as long as they have the analog stuff in the radio they are interoperable aren't they?

hamopt

Premium Subscriber
I did get to see one of the portables on VTAC 4. on the screen. I seen P25 on the bottom of the screen. As far as I know if they go digital it will be P25. But they may just use narrow analog. I haven't noticed anything different other than the ANI chirps. It's yet to be seen what they are going to do.

hamopt

Premium Subscriber
Encryption on this freq

151.03250 156.21000 WQQC576 RM Crfd Shrf D Sheriff: Dispatch - Digital P25 Law Dispatch

This is Crawford County IL Secure channel. It is P25 and it is encrypted.
If you here them say "go secure" on the 154.725 freq then this is where they go to.

What a drag!

They still use the 154.725 repeater NFM.

This is just FYI Just in case know one knew.

Status
Not open for further replies.