Pro - 96 Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASTRO_Man

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I just ordered a Pro- 96. I heard that there was a volume problem with the scanner. I wanted to know your opinions on the scanner and if you had any problems

lehigh4me

Premium Subscriber
I have had mine for about 2 years, I bought it used on Ebay. Haven't had any problems at all. One of the best scanners I have owned.

DonS

It is a great scanner, no volume issues here, I do believe it is limited as far as dealing with re-banding in the future. You will enjoy it.

The PRO-96 has no problems with rebanding (AFAIK, it was the first scanner that was ready for it).

Swipesy

I have had a Pro-96 since they first came out and never had any volume or any other issues with it. It is still going strong even though it is secondary to my PSR500

N8IAA

Owned one. Loved it. Never had a problem with the volume control. Needed more memory for my monitoring. Have had a 106 for two years now. More versatile for my scanning needs. Would love to have one back to run on Pro96com fulltime:)
Larry

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
Audio Level Mod.

I've had mine for 4 years now..
The only volume issue that i'm aware of is Low Volume when plugged into an external speaker, there is a resister/capacitor ? in the earphone jack that limits the volume output.
There are easy 2 ways of restoring the volume level to a louder level......

1)- run a small wire or thin paper clip from the antenna base to the ground side of the plug that you put into the earphone jack (just loop it around the plug so it's wedged between the plug & top of the earphone jack) there is a photo for this on the Pro-96 yahoo group site which i've added here

2)- I opened up the radio & ran a small wire from the ground side of the inside of the earphone jack to the ground of the antenna

Then there is a 3rd way, although you need a little technical expertise with soldering.... i've added the photo of this also from the Pro-96 yahoo group...

hope this helps..

Attachments

• EarphMod.jpg
    EarphMod.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,314
  • Pro-96_Audio_Mod.jpg
    Pro-96_Audio_Mod.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 3,140

Leo200

This scanner is great! It can follow a vast number of frequencies and channels. It is easy to program and use.

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
Yes, the 96 is a very good scanner. I used one for several years. The only issue I encountered was when my county switched to their new P25 simulcast system, the 96 had a hard time with it. I had a lot of drop outs and garbled audio. On all the other 800 systems in my area the reception was great but they aren't simulcast. Once I upgraded to a newer scanner the problem went away so I have to assume the 96 software just can't compensate for the simulcast format. That was my experience, yours may be different.

longreach

Feed Provider
HI all, I' Currently own 2 Pro 96's here in New South Wales Aust. my older 96 (ive owned it since sept 2004) has a problem with the squelch where you have to phyisically hold it at minumum to open the squelch. it does not worry me too much its hard a bit of a hard life and is now in semi retirement beside my bed.
another problem they both have is we are currently in the middle of an upgrade from a Motorola Smartzone Omnilink system to a new Motorola P25 9600 baud digital system. it tracks the new P25 system beautifully BUT because the control channels are so similar and are often reused frequencies from the old Omnilink system quite often it will pick up a new P25 control channel and try to use that. because the CC dont match the settings it just basically just ignores the old omnilink traffic. a quick retune to the omnilink control channel and its right for a while, minor hassle im used to it.
love how the software (win96) opened up the radio for VHF MidBand stuff as the NSW police still use 78mhz around me as well as 468mhz analogue and P25 digital.
the sensitivity is amazing on it right across all bands i scan far outstrips the 2 PSR500's i own.
a really good scanner to own, thats why i brought a second earlier this year to give my first one a bit of a rest. id recommend them to anyone.

cheers
Matt

k2epm

Premium Subscriber
I have had a pro-96 since winter of 2004..... hands down it is my favorite hand held scanner. Yeah, it's a little big but I find I reach for it 90% of the time I need a scanner.

Oh.... I also have a Pro-107, UBC396T, and a GRE PSR-500 in my shack.

ChattScan

Yes, the 96 is a very good scanner. I used one for several years. The only issue I encountered was when my county switched to their new P25 simulcast system, the 96 had a hard time with it. I had a lot of drop outs and garbled audio. On all the other 800 systems in my area the reception was great but they aren't simulcast. Once I upgraded to a newer scanner the problem went away so I have to assume the 96 software just can't compensate for the simulcast format. That was my experience, yours may be different.
My experience with my Pro-96 is the same as Joncleve's.

Junior1970

I have had nothing but good luck with mine and it's mobile companion 2096. I have three of those (one per car) and the aforementioned 96. Win96 software helps with the rebanding and the only real complaint besides that it's a discontinued model as far as I know is that it doesn't track 700Mhz. Other than that a good little radio.

ChattScan

Junior1970,
Would you care to post one of your (P25) working .p96 files or PM me one, It would be good to check it against my non-working trial copies. I keep thinking there just has to be a setting somewhere that is wrong when others report good decoding of P25.
My SmartZone II reception is great.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.