• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX-300 programming problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

P-3_Radio_Guy

I've just purchased a NX-300 with software and programming cable.

When I programmed it and turned it on it continually beeps. About once a second.

It's got Amateur frequencies programmed into it. I don't think that's the problem because I chose the correct frequency band. I tried programming it with conventional frequencies but it will not shut up.

I'm putting up an Amateur Nexedge repeater and need to solve the hand held problem before I go any further.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

baycomm

Please e-mail me your programming file & I will look at. I'll also try it another radio. We've sold several hundred of these with a 0% failure rate so I'm curious what the problem might be.

code3cowboy

I would like to take a look at your dat file as well. I am up in Hayward if you would like a hand.

Do you have any issue with NXDN channels? Are you having any other issue with the radio? Battery charged?

Every so often we will get a radio that is bad out of the box. You may just have had the luck of the draw on this one.

P-3_Radio_Guy

Thanks for the response.

I found out that I had selected the wrong frequency spread K2. When I selected Frequency spread K the beeping stopped. BYW the Amateur frequencies I programmed were out of band for this spread but it seems to work. The program warns that it's out of band but you can bypass the warning.

Checked out portable to portable TX and it works fine.

Now that this is out of the way it's time to install the NXR-810 repeater.

Wish me luck.

code3cowboy

Let me know if you need any help putting the repeater up. I have not done any tech work in two weeks and am going through withdrawals.

dougvk

NX-300 beeps

I have three nx-300's all programed with the same file. One of them beeps as described here. The third radio was purchased used on ebay, and arrived unprogrammed. One of the other two was purchased the same way, but the third was purchased new.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. The files are CONVENTIONAL and do not use trunking or the digital programing features.

racingfan360

So you didn't say which of your 3 nx300's was beeping....can you post the model number and firmware version for each, and indicate which is making the beeping noise. That might help eliminate a few variables.

Jim

dougvk

Resolved teh issue

The first two radios were the K and K3 versions. The third one was supposed to be a K also, but was a K2.

The K and K3 are 450-520 Mhz, and the K2 is 400-470... I programmed the K2 with a file for the others, and it is the cause of the beeps.

racingfan360

Ok, so that's the model numbers...what about the firmware running on each of them?

Just to check, K2 is the partial keypad version, K3 is no keypad, K is full keypad?

And are you sure you have no freqs in the programming file that sit outside the 470-520MHz band?

dougvk

Firmware

The firmware is as follows:
K-1.20.00
K2-2.83.00
K3-3.21.00

I'm not sure if the first number is related to the K number or if they are just randomly correlated.

The frequencies in the programming file are all in the 450-470 MHz range.

I am used to programming Motorola radios, and they will not allow programming of a file that is not for the specific radio freq range.

I was able to select a freq range for the Kenwood, but that is where the beeping started.

I also am not sure how to flash firmware updates.

Thanks for your feedback.

racingfan360

Ummmm.......this is puzzling. Two immediate areas to try:

1. So i can't test this myself as I have 300E models. Try creating a brand new .dat file but in Product Info make sure that you have selected Model Name as a 300/300T Portable [K], Freq range as 400-470 and Firmware as K x.xx.xx. Populate it with a freq that you know sits in the 450Mhz range. Load that into your K2 and see if that removes the beep.

2. Do you have an issue with the battery? Swap them about the radios/check the connections (battery and radio).

Let us know how you get on

dougvk

Thanks, yes the issues were resolved.

The batteries were all brand new, so that was not the issue. (however, do you know how to read the date codes?)

I did start over with new blank .dat files, specific to each radio model. That is the piece that I think resolved the problem.

I am now trying to program scan lists in the Kenwood radios. I am familiar with how to do this with my Motorola EX600XLS radios. I have tried on the Kenwoods, but have had no luck.

Also, is there a place to program the ability to hear my transmission using a single radio? or do I need to monitor the frequency with a second radio to do this?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Doug

racingfan360

>I am now trying to program scan lists in the Kenwood radios
So you'll need to make yourself familiar with adding channels to Zones, making the Zones 'scanable' and making the Channel 'scanable':

Say I want to make 2 scan lists: CH1 and CH3, plus CH 2 and CH4

Program in CH1 and CH3 into Zone 1
You will need to make sure each CH is added to the scan list:
Edit > Zone Information (Conventional Group) > Channel Edit > Page 1 > Scan Add
Make sure Scan Add is checked for each CH (it will do this by default).

Program in CH2 and CH4 into Zone 2
Again you will need to make sure each CH is added to the scan list.

You then need to decide which Zones are scanable:
Edit > Zone Information (Conventional Group) > Zone Edit > Zone Add
By default all new zones will be added in, so both Zone 1 and 2 will be scanned. You can check or uncheck which config you want.

I assume you have a display version of the NX300?
Under Edit > Key Assignment > Menu you can add in the ability to:
Zone Delete/Add to switch between having a zone added or removed form the scan list
Scan and Scan/Delete Add to switch between having a Channel added or removed form the scan list

Personally, I also assign one of the side buttons to start/stop scanning and one to add/remove a channel from the scan list.

>Also, is there a place to program the ability to hear my transmission using a single radio?
Not that I know of.

HTH

Jim

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Subscribed... Work was kind enough to let me use the NX-700 we had in our gear room... Will be watching this thread closely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Does the NX-300 support FPP?

No, not with the firmware I've seen. You'd need a TK-5310, but it won't do NXDN, only P25 and analog.
I'm thinking the new NX-5300 will have it. The 5300 will do analog, P25 and NXDN. It hasn't been released yet and I haven't seen the service manual to confirm.

If you need analog only (not NXDN), the TK-390 is an excellent option.

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. The NX-5000 series looks awesome, but is out of my price range. Hoping the Connect Systems CS7000 series fills that niche. NX-300 is still likely for dedicated NXDN.

Status
Not open for further replies.