AM DX logs here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlielinn

KTNN Has been a favorite of mine for quite a few years...and The programming is really unique.
"Good 'ol country music"...along with Navajo news and their special Ceremonial music etc. Be sure to check their website, it's interesting.
Great "on the road at night listening" through several states..but here in Sacramento CA; KSTE 50KW
650 khz makes it a little more of a challenge!...
Been hearing WHO Des Moines IA at 1040 Khz, along with KSTP 1500khz Minnesota.
Ya might try 1080 KVNI Coeur D' Alene Idaho great oldies format. Ya might find 'em among a Santa Cruz Ca. station, and a big one out of Portland OR.
Lookin forward to some good AM DX this winter!!
One thing about my Sangean 909, I can get it outside and away from all of the Apartment QRM around here!!

k9rzz

That's neat. I've never been able to hear them although I think it's 'possible' under the right conditions. I like this thread, I'll find something to post later tonight.

charlielinn

Back in the day...There were only a relative few "clear channel stations" and it was possible to hear
practically all of 'em at one time or another. but nowadays, only a few exist..so DXing is a little more
dependant upon careful tuning, nulling, and just listening at the right time. Between midnight and dawn.
When I worked in Radio..our managers encouraged us to listen to DX often so's we could be "ahead of the game" and try new gags and play "new" music before the other guy. So WLS Chicago, CKLW
Windsor, and other big stations in K9rzz's part of the country were good catches for us here out West.
And have any of you tried to dig 'em out of the "graveyard" frequencies?
These are: around 1230 1240 1340 1400 1450 and 1490 ( khz) all lower power and much more difficult to
tune...as you'll find 'em fading in and out amongst each other..( there are lots of 'em all over the USA.)
If you listen , you'll sometimes hear only a "low rumble" very strange and kinda spooky late at night. Then one or two of 'em will fade in . But..they're hard to ID..'cause it's right in..and right out!! Try 'em!

k8krh

GRAVEYARD frequencies are fun to listen to and wait for the moment of a call sign..I detest the singing call sign, very hard to understand. In another month condx should improve<cooler> weather.

DOCTOR/795

ridgescan

charlielinn I have heard that eerie rumble here and pulled a New Mexico station out of the pileup but I need to go back and try again for an ID. That Navaho station is so cool-the country music they play reminds me of the freedom of cross country travel. Pie and coffee at the truck stop anyone?:D Let's hear 'em K9-you have a huge advantage being in the center of the continent.

charlielinn

Yep dr795 it is really hard to pick out the callsign anymore...gosh...we had to rattle off a"legal ID"
all the time back in the day. With the "Boss Radio" type "chicken rock" formats..ya had to throw out
the call letters, location, and the moniker such as "Boss Radio" or "tiger radio" or "the Rock of Chicago"
as often as possible. 'Twas a lot easier to ID a Dx catch.
And yea...traveling Route 66 at night with the "winders" down.....listening to KTNN or WWL New
Orleans at 870 khz, or WBAP 820's all night truckin show...pie and coffee, you know it,ridgescan!!!
A great resource for Freqs and Calls is amlogbook.com/amlog
I keep the list in "documents"..and bring it up . Just scroll down to the freq...there are all the stations
and the formats, too...which can help a lot!!

a29zuk

Back in the day...There were only a relative few "clear channel stations" and it was possible to hear
practically all of 'em at one time or another. but nowadays, only a few exist..so DXing is a little more
dependant upon careful tuning, nulling, and just listening at the right time. Between midnight and dawn.
When I worked in Radio..our managers encouraged us to listen to DX often so's we could be "ahead of the game" and try new gags and play "new" music before the other guy. So WLS Chicago, CKLW
Windsor, and other big stations in K9rzz's part of the country were good catches for us here out West.

I remember getting up about a half hour early before going to junior high school and listening to KFI, 640 out of Los Angeles. Also KSL, 1160 out of Salt Lake would come in pretty regularly. Away from the "clear channels" sometimes I would get KNX, 1080 out of Los Angeles and on 680, KNBR from San Francisco.

charlielinn

Did the Early morning listnin' too

a29zuk right on!!
An old car radio from the 60's and a 12 Volt batt and "big old rod antenna" was my early morning dx formula.
Wow..did those old radios pull 'em in!!
About that time of day..( or night?) was great dx in Central CA as most of the midwest stations did hog reports and
stuff...so I had a good idea about pork belly futures and other useful info. Iowa, Nebraska, Illinoise etc
just boomed in just before sunrise. Got awful cold sittin' out in that car..but it was fun!!

charlielinn

Washington Am Dx great in N. California

Hey Dx'rs in CA or hereabouts..
I'm hearing three low power Washington Am stations here in Sacramento on 1420Khz (9;00 PM)
KITI 5KW in Chehalis, KRIZ in Renton at 500 watts, and KUJ Walla Walla at 900 Watts ( non directional)
These three are North of my location, and I have a 1000 Watt station 40 miles to thesouth adding to the mix.
Have heard the 5 KW before...but never the other two, so looks like "the DX times they are a changin'.

charlielinn

You know it, ridgescan!! From 9:00 on just about all the frequencies have been like a "traffic jam" here
in Sacramento. After digging 'em out on the 909 ..It's kinda fun to dial 'em up on a cheaper, less sensitive receiver, such as the little Sony Walkman SRF-M37W. And surprisingly enough...sometimes they're easier to copy on the "little job".
Do ya remember when so many full-time stations signed off midnight Sunday for transmitter maintenance? Those days "rocked" for DX...cause so many of the "biggies " were out of the way
if only for a few hours!!!!

ridgescan

Yeah charlie I hear ya I have this neat little Grundig FR-200 AM/FM/SW with the dynamo winder:D that thing is surprizingly receptive on AM and the satisfaction of hearing that distant stream of a far away place is fun. For that matter the radio in my truck gets distant stuff quite well too. But to me I like the thrill of stuff 2 states away slammin in here off the big wire up top:D

CLynch7

870kc - 20-2030 + French language station fighting for dominance over WWL. Music, male and female speakers. Can't catch a call, only two low power Canadian AM stations listed on radio-locator.com. Accents clear, highly unlikely from Caribbean.
GE SRIII w/ AN200 loop

charlielinn

Howdy CLynch
Same thing goin on here in Sacramento CA area!! I'm hearin' 870 WWL( in and out) along with what does sound French or a derivative . The French stays under WWL..but it's there.
Glad you posted..'cause it's been a long time since I've heard WWL in these parts. Was always
a favorite for years, especially when I listened from the central coast. I've got KRLA in Los Angeles
in there at 870 too; 'twas a big rock and roll "icon" in it's day. Can you hear KWKH 1130 Shreveport??
I have a big high power local 1140 here knockin' 'em out here. KWKH ! Now there is some broadcasting
history!!
modified 909 with 40 ft wire

Last edited:

ridgescan

Wow I am amazed you can get that far! The furthest I have gotten to the east is Denver. I tried 770 and I get KCBC in Modesto and I hear Michael Savage blending into it from a doubling station.

charlielinn

Ridgescan....that was my typo..it's 870khz for WWL!! not 770. Long Day.
The "bleed" of Michael Savage is from KKOB in New Mexico, which ain't a bad catch in itself.
By the way...can you hear WSM Nashville on 650 KHZ??
So many years they were dominant and "clear channel"...We could hear the "Opry" practically every Sat nite here in CA. But...now I have KSTE at 50KW here in SAC, so no more WSM. OR does KSTE
"hog" it for you, too???
Try 1030 KTWO Casper Wyoming.they run a great "all night truckin show".. or actually heard KSTP 1500 in Minnesota the other nite!!
and 1040 WHO Des Moines was readable the other nite, too. Check 'em out!!! Curious to know how ya hear 'em from your '20"..you're about 80 miles by crow from me.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
I'll start with the voice of the Navajo Nation KTNN out of Window Rock, Arizona

Thank you for the ID, ive been trying to figure out who this is but im hearing two other stations on top of them. im also picking up a talk radio station on 1700 at night that likes to drift off frequency so im having to tune between 1698 and 1702 to continuously listen. I was also hearing a station last night on 1130 that kept IDing as Bloomberg Radio, listened for almost 45 minutes but no station ID, just Bloomberg Radio.

CLynch7

Charlie- Yeah, I've got KWKH, pretty good signal. ID top of the hour. Great music!

Phantom French station has disappeared here, maybe tomorrow!

k9rzz

Good stuff guys, keep 'em coming! I've been DXing FM BC - got station #334 tonight. It's getting tough, when the weather turns colder and FM condx really bottom out, then I'll be back down on AM BC again!

Status
Not open for further replies.