Home Comunications Box w/ Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ki4moc

Hey Everyone!

I just got done building a box to mount all of my base station equipment, to make it easier on the 'back' when reaching to change channels:lol:

The following equipment is mounted in the box:
Radioshack Pro-163 Scanner (Public Safety)
Radioshack Pro-2052 Scanner (ATC)
Dell Inspiron Laptop (Used for WX Radar, PDW32, and Motorola CPS)
Yaesu FT-1802M (VHF Ham / Public Safety)
Radioshack 15A Power Supply (FT-1802 / Moto. equipment)
Radioshack 1.75A Power Supply (Pro-163)

HT1000 UHF
HT1000 VHF
XTS5000R VHF

I just finished it yesterday, so in the near future I am going to get some more coax and hook it up to my outside antennas. I just put the BNC rubber ones on there temporarily

The design idea came off of http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/91164-my-set-up.html Asmitty0010

View attachment 29608
View attachment 29609
View attachment 29610
View attachment 29611
View attachment 29612

Last edited:

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Very nice!!

I did something similar a couple of years back. Would still be using it but when I moved but space became a major concern and it really wouldn't fit anywhere. Got the idea from another poster here at RR. Wish I was still able to use it. It was very nice having everything so handy.

IMAG0018a.jpg

Last edited:

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
Thats pretty cool. I have one question, how do you control the computer? Do you have to go around the back every time?

ki4moc

Nice custom job, looks like there is quite a bit of wasted space though.

Yeah, my original plan was to have the box about 2 feet shorter, but i ran into problems with needing space to mount the shelves with the brackets, because the 1802 bracket is pretty large. Plus, my main scanners are level with my computer desk, so it makes switching channels a whole lot easier!
Thanks!

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
What about getting a wireless keyboard and mic for your laptop (using a USB port antenna) so that you don't have to wrry about the keyboard being behind there (not having to lengthen the power cables for the screen). I got my wireless mouse and keyboard for $40.

wise, I believe he noted he uses the laptop to run his Moto CPS, Wx radar and pager decoding software.

ki4moc

Thats pretty cool. I have one question, how do you control the computer? Do you have to go around the back every time?

I use a free program called Synergy Synergy. It allows you to control several different computers over IP. Basically, its a software KMV Switch. The computer in the box is set to turn the monitor off after 5 minutes, and when I want to use the box screen (ex. display the radar, news, scanner control, etc...) I will just move my cursor off the side of the screen, and it will kick on the laptop screen, and ill have full control of the laptop.

Another program I use on a daily basis Teamviewer TeamViewer - Free Remote Access and Remote Desktop Sharing over the Internet. I HIGHLY recommend this program to network IT's, Server Admin's and anyone who owns more then one computer at a different location. Teamviewer allows you to do remote control, remote presentation, and file transfer. The difference between Teamviewer and Synergy is that Teamviewer allows you to transfer files and stuff. Also, Teamviewer will open a window on the current screen to control it, since you may not be right next to the screen.

This screen capture shows the Teamviewer control panel, and the list of computers I can have control over from my computer (virus scans, troubleshooting.etc...)
View attachment 29625

This screen capture shows an example of me controlling one of my computers on my list. It is a HP Media smart Server.
View attachment 29626

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.