Rockford/Winnebago EMS/Fire Clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I work in public safety in Winnebago County (Rockford) and I've seen some misconceptions that I can shed some light on.

Rockford Fire marks on the following frequencies:
Rockford 1 - 151.175
Rockford 3 - 155.850

Rockford 1 is used for dispatching apparatus and marking vehicle statuses (on scene, transporting, etc) within Rockford City. Rockford 3 is used for the surrounding areas that Rockford dispatches (NW Fire, West Suburban Fire, etc). Rockford 2 and 4 exist but are unused except when coordination of resources requires a separate channel (i.e. a large structure fire).

When private ambulances respond with Rockford Fire, often they will status that they are responding on Rockford 3 and only proceed to Rockford 1 when invited by the dispatcher. This is a courtesy to keep from stomping fire traffic. Some dispatchers prefer to separate private resources (private ambulances) and leave them on Rockford 3.

Private Ambulances mark on these frequencies:
ATS Ambulance (Loves Park Station) - 154.54 Mhz PL 131.8
Lifeline Ambulance (All Stations) - 151.865 Mhz PL 123.0
Metro Ambulance (All Stations) - 155.22 Mhz PL 127.3

Within that, Lifeline is dispatched by MedCom which is based at OSF Saint Anthony in Rockford. OSF also dispatches North Park Fire (among others), and Lifeline helicopter.

Metro shares their dispatch frequency with REACT (Rockford Memorial Hospital's Helicopter) and is dispatched by RockCom, which is based inside Rockford Memorial Hospital ER. While monitoring Metro/REACT/RockCom you will also hear tone-outs to alert various staff at the hospital. One of these is the on-site trauma surgeon who carries a radio. RockCom dispatches a specific set of local fire departments as well.

Of the Rockford based private ambulances, ATS Medical of Loves Park is the only ambulance service currently using in-house dispatch. They are dispatched from their main station at Material Avenue and Riverside Blvd in Loves Park. Their tower is on their building and not very high, and are often times difficult to hear outside of the city.

There are two additional private ambulances in Rockford. Superior Ambulance and Mercy Ambulance which do not use radio communications for dispatch. Both of these services use a Nextel based phone for dispatching.

Ambulances in EMS Region 1 use a unique number to identify them. They are a '1' followed by an alpha character, followed by a two digit number. '1' signifies EMS Region 1, the alpha character represents the county the ambulance originates from (C or Charlie for Winnebago county, D David for Boone, etc) and the two digit code tracks the ambulance to a specific provider. The only provider in EMS Region 1 who do not number this way is Superior Ambulance because they are based in Elmhurst and are not affiliated with EMS Region 1.

List of Ambulance Units to Providers (NOT all inclusive):

ATS: 1C71, 1C74, 1C75, 1C76, 1C78, 1C79
Lifeline (OSF): 1C11, 1C54, 1C72
Metro: 1C23, 1C34, 1C53
Rockford Fire: 1C12, 1C40, 1C36, 1C16, 1C20, 1C26, 1C24
Mercy: 1C81

MERCI is used for 99% of ambulance to ER communications. MERCI is located at:

Rockford Memorial Hospital ER: 155.34 Mhz PL 103.5
OSF Saint Anthony ER: 155.34 Mhz PL 156.7
Swedish American Hospital ER: 155.34 Mhz PL 123.0

It should be noted that in its current incarnation, MERCI is limited to one ambulance speaking at a time. i.e. an ambulance cannot talk to Swedes ER while one is talking to RMH ER, even though they are on different PL's, as the trucks drown each other out due to MERCI using the same frequency for all hospitals.

I hope I shed some light on some things for folks. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions for someone on the inside. I am well versed on the EMS and Fire sides, Police I know some.

Cheers!

BCFlash

Unless it has changed very recently, the RR database is still correct and the suburban fire depts. are still dispatched on 154.190, not 155.850. The ambulance information is very useful, thank you. I believe that Rockford Fire also has a 1C27, I don't think I've ever heard 1C40. I think the Superior ambulances use a three digit number when they come up on Rockford's freq. or MERCI.

The fire frequencies did change quite recently (about mid September).

1C27 is RFD, 1C40 is one of their backup trucks.

Superior numbers their ambulances sequentially. Since they are based in Elmhurst and are not affiliated through Rock River Region EMS, they don't have Charlie codes. The two Superior ambulances based at their Rockford station are Unit 96 and Unit 141. During the day they run a van that is Unit 190 which is a Basic Life Support Transfer truck.

Also, the 155.850 is Rockford 3 which is where they typically ask you to mark as an ambulance, depending on circumstances/dispatchers. Rockford City is managed on Rockford 1, the frequency you mentioned is probably what they dispatch West Suburban/Northwest/etc on.

wirr

Database Admin
Do any of the Rockford ambulance services have UHF capability?
In the past Squad 1, 4, and 6 have been heard on Rockford LTR trunking ID 10-15 on 451.8375.
Units 73, 75, 76, and 77 have been heard on UHF LTR trunking in Rock and Walworth Counties; these units don't seem to match up to WI ambulances, could it be ATS?

1C73 is an OSF Lifeline Ambulance, 1C75 and 1C76 are ATS trucks, 1C77 was an ATS truck that was retired a couple years ago after it was wrecked, there is currently no 1C77.

I believe RFD does still use the UHF system for _something_ but I'm unsure of what. I know they used to be all UHF and when Rockford PD went to Starcom the Fire Department took over the old PD VHF stuff.

It's very possible the UHF is being used for administrative tasks or as a backup. I will ask some of the guys when I see them around next shift.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
STARCOM21 Talkgroup 3631, RockCom

I know that this is an old message string, but I'm hoping that someone might be able to help identify the user.

Early last Friday morning on SC21 TG 3631, I heard a unit IDing as "Illinois MD-1" (RID 119010) calling "RockCom" (not heard) and saying that they had arrived at a staging area. After a Google search, I found that Mercyhealth's REACT helo dispatch is called "RockCom". The "MD-1" unit did not have the same "helicopter" sound that I've heard with other helos on SC21, so I'm thinking that this might be a ground unit?

Anyone know for sure who is using SC21 TG 3631? It isn't currently listed in the Radio Reference database for SC21.

Thanks in advance!

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
MD-1 is a designation for an emergency response doctor. Can't help with who uses that TG..

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
I know that this is an old message string, but I'm hoping that someone might be able to help identify the user.

Early last Friday morning on SC21 TG 3631, I heard a unit IDing as "Illinois MD-1" (RID 119010) calling "RockCom" (not heard) and saying that they had arrived at a staging area. After a Google search, I found that Mercyhealth's REACT helo dispatch is called "RockCom". The "MD-1" unit did not have the same "helicopter" sound that I've heard with other helos on SC21, so I'm thinking that this might be a ground unit?

Anyone know for sure who is using SC21 TG 3631? It isn't currently listed in the Radio Reference database for SC21.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks to a fellow CARMA member, I've learned that the "MD-1" units are part of a program run by Mercyhealth that places an emergency medicine physician in the field when needed. There are three MD-1 SUVs - one in Rockford and one each in Rock and Walworth Counties in Wisconsin. SC21 TG 3631 appears to be used by these doctors to update RockCom (Mercyhealth dispatcher at Rockford Memorial Hospital?) with their status. RockCom is also the dispatch for the REACT helo, but I have not heard the helo on this talkgroup as of yet. Here's a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXHsFEemx0M to a story done about the MD-1 program by WISC-TV earlier this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.