south plainfield n.j.

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbinsj2

A couple months ago SPPD's 453.325 was patched into a digital talkgroup on the county EDACS. Considering that the SPFD did that then switched over I would expect SPPD to eventually do the same. I guess I'll put Unitrunker back onto the system to see what's doing now.

Jim

W2SJW

Database Admin
If they indeed switched over to the Middlesex County TRS, you'll never hear them again...

robbinsj2

From Unitrunker activity over the past 20 minutes, it does look like they have switched. Whereas last time I looked all the activity on the SPPD talkgroup came from one radio ID, suggesting a patch, now it is that ID plus a mix of others in a numeric range close to the SPFD radio IDs.

What I can't say for sure is whether the patch to 453.325 still exists but from your comments it sure sounds like it doesn't.

See Middlesex County EDACS for more info, but as Scott alluded to since it's ProVoice digital you won't be able to understand it no matter what scanner you have or buy.

Jim

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
So if they are listed as Digital in the database, then the only way to monitor would be via the software solution. If they are analog, they can be monitored?

Do I have that right?

robbinsj2

They are digital, as listed in the database and mentioned a few posts above. There are no stand-alone scanners which can receive ProVoice digital.

It is my understanding that ProVoice supports clear and encrypted, which may or may not be right. There is a Linux-based software solution which is supposed to decode Provoice and I've heard that you can buy an EDACS ProVoice-capable radio which would also receive it; if encryption is possible and also used then I would think those options wouldn't work without the key.

Jim

GM

Premium Subscriber
I took a field trip to the South Plainfield PD tower site and can confirm that they are using the Middlesex County TRS, ProVoice option, as my PSR 500 was picking up the input signal (with Signal Stalker mode) at that location. I also noticed what looked like 800 MHz antennas on the police cruisers, so that also gave it away. Looks like some of us are going to have to shell out some $$ to buy ProVoice capable radios to hear what's going on these days...

Last edited:

Highpockets

I took a field trip to the South Plainfield PD tower site and can confirm that they are using the Middlesex County TRS, ProVoice option, as my PSR 500 was picking up the input signal at that location in that mode. I also noticed what looked like 800 MHz antennas on the police cruisers, so that also gave it away. Looks like some of us are going to have to shell out some $$ to buy ProVoice capable radios to hear what's going on these days...

Or you can read this, but take note of the operating system you need.

Digital Speech Decoder (software package) - The RadioReference Wiki

loua12

Bad news

I have been monitoring south plainfield P.D. for 30 years. Can't believe it's over.

TonyS

I knew they had switched something. At first I thought it was only the repeater. Definitely sounded digital to me about a month ago when I started monitoring SP again.

robbinsj2

It looks & sounds like there have been further changes at South Plainfield. SPFD radio IDs are different now than they had been, the dispatch talkgroup is now analog, and scene ops are on 1814 (analog) instead of 1816 like they were.

Over the last hour, including during a fire call when the dispatcher relayed initial findings of PD on scene, the only activity I saw on Unitrunker was one affiliation by possibly an OEM radio. SPPD dispatch talkgroup had been pretty active with calls and affiliations around the clock when I ran Unitrunker on it weeks ago. I've been monitoring 453.325 and haven't heard anything, but receiving that channel was always a stretch for me...

And yes, admins, I'll submit new information once it's confirmed.

Jim

GM

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed that over the past two weeks, SP PD has been using 453.3250 PL 114.8 as a back-up to their TRS radios, since the township is experiencing some problems with the 800 MHz system (coverage issues, volume control, etc). I've also noticed that SPFD is analog mode using 14-025 as dispatch, 14-026 as Fire Tac 2, 14-027 as Fire Tac 3, 14-031 as Fire Tac 4?, 14-030 as Fire Tac 5, and looks like 14-032 is a OEM or Town-wide inter-op channel. Also, there appears to be a patch from time to time from the 500.8625 MHz DCS 565 freq. into the 14-025 TG.

notpolcorrect

thank you for the info on the change, this stinks! I love to listen to the scanner, you would think as taxpayers and we pay their salary so to speak, they would not do this, I can understand in a way, but I still say its not fair, I like to know whats going on especially if they are hunting down someone near me that did something wrong, as I know to be on the lookout, oh well, it still stinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.