Gmrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
Tune in and listen, yes.

Tune in and transmit, no.*

* some/most/all amateur radios can be modified to transmit out of the intended range (it is good engineering practice? depends on the radio)

For example, the Yaesu VX-8DR, which is sold at AES Home page
This radio can receive 400 to 470 MHz, but only transmits 430 to 450 MHz (UHF amateur band).
On the other hand, Motorola UHF radios come in a 400-470 MHz split, and can transmit throughout.

The dilemma is FCC type acceptance......will one radio do amateur, GMRS, MURS, and public safety? Technically, yes. Would that one radio be "type accepted" for each category? Likely not.

Your question is a common one. GMRS radios can be bought through various dealers.
GMRS Outlet LLC

KB0VWG

Yes they can

Can ham radios in the UHF frequencies tune in the GMRS frequencies?

I am sure quite a few people do use ham radios for gmrs and I do know a few people that do, but is it legal No. Will you get caught using them more than likely not but if you take that risk and get caught by the FCC you will probably be facing a fine and are you willing to take that risk. Look around you can get some gmrs radios for about $60 bucks used.
Do I have my gmrs license you wonder, No I dont but I do listen.
I wouldnt mind in getting a gmrs license but will wait to see what happens with the restructing of the band. If it happens and hopefully it stays the same with no changes.
73s
Michael
kb0vwg

KW7PTL

Why is it NOT legal to talk GMRS on a Yaesu VX8DR? (with a GMRS license)

Why would it be illegal (with FCC) to use a Yaesu VX8DR Amateur Radio on GMRS frequencies ... if you have a GMRS license. GMRS regulations allow a lot more power than the VX8DR puts out, and as long as you operate under your GMRS license for those frequencies, wouldn't you be in compliance with the FCC regulations? Please advise as I am considering a mode to enable mine for this. I "do" have a GMRS license, and use it.

-rich-
email: richard@allcorn.us

WB4CS

Why would it be illegal (with FCC) to use a Yaesu VX8DR Amateur Radio on GMRS frequencies ... if you have a GMRS license. GMRS regulations allow a lot more power than the VX8DR puts out, and as long as you operate under your GMRS license for those frequencies, wouldn't you be in compliance with the FCC regulations? Please advise as I am considering a mode to enable mine for this. I "do" have a GMRS license, and use it.

-rich-
email: richard@allcorn.us

Because FCC Part 95 which governs the rules of GMRS says so:

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

I replied to your other post in the "Why is out of band transmit illegal" thread, which explains Part 95 certification.

In the link above for Part 95 rules, look specifically at 95.603. Amateur radio gear does not meet certification requirements to be legal.

I've also sent you an email at the address you provided, hopefully I can be of help if needed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.