Pro197 DSP Update problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
Hi guys, I just bought myself a Pro197 for Christmas while it was on sale, and so far I love it (aside from the trip back to RS to buy the $35 cable when I found out my $2 RS232 cable won't work on it - that's quite a racket considering then you have to buy software and a RR database subscription)..

I only have one tiny issue so far, which is when I tried to update it, the CPU update went fine, but the DSP refuses to update. I did the 0-PROG-ENT during the welcome message, and it says:

Code:
DSP Loader...
DSP Boot: F1.1
DSP SW Upgrade
Wait for PC/IF

I run the upgrade program (with the correct COM, the same one I used for the CPU upgrade and uploading programming), and it says No Response (or incomplete response) from the scanner.

The "Wait for PC/IF" message also changes to "Error - Turn Off"..

Anyon e have any ideas? I tried changing USB ports, I tried reassigning the adapter to a different COM port in Device Manager, and I re-downloaded the program from RS site.

Thanks!

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Hi guys, I just bought myself a Pro197 for Christmas while it was on sale, and so far I love it (aside from the trip back to RS to buy the $35 cable when I found out my $2 RS232 cable won't work on it - that's quite a racket considering then you have to buy software and a RR database subscription)..

I only have one tiny issue so far, which is when I tried to update it, the CPU update went fine, but the DSP refuses to update. I did the 0-PROG-ENT during the welcome message, and it says:

Code:
DSP Loader...
DSP SW Upgrade
Wait for PC/IF

I run the upgrade program (with the correct COM, the same one I used for the CPU upgrade and uploading programming), and it says No Response (or incomplete response) from the scanner.

The "Wait for PC/IF" message also changes to "Error - Turn Off"..

Anyon e have any ideas? I tried changing USB ports, I tried reassigning the adapter to a different COM port in Device Manager, and I re-downloaded the program from RS site.

Thanks!
Did you do the TEST part with scanner running first?

Last edited:

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
Like I said, it never got that far. When I hit Test, the program says "No Response (or incomplete response) from the scanner." and the "Wait for PC/IF" line on the scanner changes to "Error - Turn Off"

The DSP version on the scanner display is 1.1

N1BHH

You should not have the programming cable connected when doing this. That is what I get from your post. And if you just bought it, you should already be up to date. Check the date code inside the battery compartment and see if the date is in the 09 range. If it is you'll need an update I think.

Also have you tried initializing the scanner and then uploaded a V folder or your own file? You should check after you have done this. Most likely anything bought recently has a 10 date code on it. My Pro-106 just bought a month ago has an April 10 date code and had the latest update.

No, a serial cable does not work with these scanners, a USB cable is required. As always, research the scanner before you buy and you won't have to make too many trips to the store.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
Ok now you have me confused.. During what part shouldn't the data cable be connected? I have no problem uploading programming, and I had no problem updating the CPU, and I left the cable plugged in the entire time..

I tried putting it into programming mode without the cable, then plugging it in, with the same result. The scanner displays Error - Turn Off as soon as I click the Test button on the updater. But I can upload and download programming with no problem at all.

The date code is 2/10, and it DOES need an update (current FW came out in March). Scanner CPU version was 1.7 (now 1.8), and DSP is v 1.1 (trying to update to 1.4).

Yes I have initialized and reloaded the scanner. Also tried initializing and then upgrading without reloading. No dice.

And I admit I didn't read up fully before I bought, It was an impulse buy in the store when I saw the sale price tag.. But when I saw the 1/8" stereo programming plug, I figured it would be serial since almost every other scanner in the world is serial.. :D

Last edited:

RickS31

I suspect, and I'm trying to remember when I updated my DSP and CPU in July of this year, but I'm pretty sure my DSP was at 1.3 version and the CPU was at 1.7. I think you're not in the DSP update section since I believe at the least you should have 1.3 in there. You're looking at the DSP boot, (1.1) not the current version.

Something's wrong here with what you're reading.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
Ok how do I look at the current DSP version? I assumed the version that it showed was the one it has.. Again, when I do 0-Prog-Enter, I get this:

Code:
DSP Loader...
DSP SW Upgrade
Wait for PC/IF

As soon as I hit Test on the software, the line that says "Wait for PC/IF" changes to "Error - Turn Off"

Like I said, the CPU upgrade went fine.. I don't understand why this one is failing out..

RickS31

You can tell what version you've got by pushing the "3" button during the Welcome screen. This is the screen that comes up when you first turn on the scanner. When you do, you'll get first the uP version, second the DSP version and last the Vocoder version. This tells you where you're at.

If your uP is Version 1.8 then that update was successful. See what the DSP is. Let us know from there. The way to get to the DSP update is: Turn it back off then start it again pressing 0 PGM ENTER. Putting it in DSP upgrade. I was not putting it in DSP instead i had it in CPU.

This is after you've started the upgrade SW. Note the exact instructions are part of the upgrade software once you double click on it.

Try that.

RickS31

Just reread your post. I'm not sure why now your update is failing. Especially since your CPU update was successful. Again, what update level are you showing on the 3 key startup? At least we'll know where you are.

KB3WDL

Same issue

I am having the exact same issue as described here. Tried multiple computers. Tried multiple usb programming cables.Tried re- downloading the software. The screen on the Pro-197 says the following:

DSP Loader ...
DSP SW Upgrade
Error - Turn Off

Any further thoughts on this. I was able to update CPU software but DSP is being a bit difficult.

Attachments

• IMG_7797.JPG
    IMG_7797.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 411

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
I thought there were 2 different boot loader versions 1.1 and 1.0 and you need the matching update version....

KB3WDL

Is there a chart or something that states what CPU software goes with the corresponding DSP software ?

Below is a photo of the CPU software. Every time I ask the software to test the connection I get the
" Error - Turn Off " message

Attachments

• IMG_7799.JPG
    IMG_7799.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 455

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
For the updates - Firmware Downloads
My copies are at the dropbox firmware link

I have used these updates on a lot of 106-197 radios and never had a problem. When you update the cpu to 2.1 it will take the dsp to at least 1.3 and don't be surprised it goes to 1.4.

Those with pro 651 or 652 models don't even go there PLEASE ! you will make doorstops out the radios, not kidding!

Status
Not open for further replies.