• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New GMRS Repeater on the Air .

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just setup a GMRS Repeater . It is now on the Air . If anyone Like to give it a try and let me know how it's working that would be grate . The repeater is located in Paoli , PA . It is on 462.7250/467.7250 PL 203.5 . MDC1200 G-Star , and Modat are welcome .

Steve.

KC0CSE

Gmrs repeater

Hope you have better luck than I did...I set up a GMRS repeater two years or more ago and got "0" check-in's to it....I forked out the 80 some bucks for the permit from the fcc.....I took it down and sold it on e-bay....lot of your FRS"S radio out there that tried to ruin it too....no one what's to pay $80 some dollars when every one else talks for free.......I had great coverage on the repeater too...oh well good luck....I let my permit from the fcc expire.....Ive been in ham radio since 1994 its the only way to go.....KC0CSE=HAM ....... WQBS813=GMRS EXPIRED................

73's Mike

Last edited:

fineshot1

I just setup a GMRS Repeater . It is now on the Air . If anyone Like to give it a try and let me know how it's working that would be grate . The repeater is located in Paoli , PA . It is on 462.7250/467.7250 PL 203.5 . MDC1200 G-Star , and Modat are welcome .

Steve.

Not sure if you have seen this or not but you might want to register
your gmrs repeater on this web site - its run by a pretty good fella.

myGMRS.com - GMRS Repeater Directory

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I tried, but I guess my signal wasn't strong enough to reach there from Cobb County, GA! :)

Seriously, welcome to the world of GMRS Repeaters!

I tried, but I guess my signal wasn't strong enough to reach there from Cobb County, GA! :)

Seriously, welcome to the world of GMRS Repeaters!

LOL , yea that would be a little bit of a hike . I've been playing with GMRS for awhile now and have had a GMRS Repeater on the Air before , But had to take it down . but now it's backup again . Diffrent repeater than before . But it will be up as long as people use it . I may haft to get another antenna , but it's running on the one it has right now . Still should be ok .

Steve.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I'll give that a try some time, I should be able to hit that I think. Just in case you didn't know there are two other repeaters in the area on the same frequency. One in in Lynwood PA with a PL of 131.8 and another in Philly PL 192.8.

I'll give that a try some time, I should be able to hit that I think. Just in case you didn't know there are two other repeaters in the area on the same frequency. One in in Lynwood PA with a PL of 131.8 and another in Philly PL 192.8.

Well if it becomes a problem than will change frequencies , But it depends on how much it gets used .
I may haft to get a new antenna , Because the antenna I'm using is old . But wonted to see how it does before I spend anymore money into it . Thanks for the info .

Steve.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
You might wish to read Part 95.

Non-voice messaging other than tone squelch or GPS data under a waiver Garmin got added is not allowed on GMRS.

Sporkupine

Hmmm. Last time I looked at Part 95, selective calling was allowed as long as the data packets/tones did not exceed 15 seconds in length. Did they change the rules again?

Also, I have a soft spot in my heart for MODAT.

Good luck with the new repeater!

SkipSanders

Silent Key
§ 95.631 Emission types.
(a) A GMRS transmitter must transmit
only emission types A1D, F1D,
G1D, H1D, J1D, R1D, A3E, F3E, G3E,
H3E, J3E or R3E. A non-voice emission
is limited to selective calling or toneoperated
squelch tones to establish or
continue voice communications. See
§ 95.181 (g) and (h).

(g) A station operator may communicate
a selective calling tone or tone
operated squelch only in conjunction
with a voice communication. If the
tone is subaudible (300 Hertz or less) it
may be communicated during the entire
voice message. If the tone is audible
(more than 300 Hertz) it may be
communicated for no more than 15 seconds
at a time.
(h) A station operator may communicate
a one-way voice page to a paging
receiver. A selective calling tone or
tone operated squelch may be used in
conjunction with a voice page, as prescribed
in paragraph (g) of this section.
A station operator may not communicate
a tone-only page (tones communicated
in order to find, summon or notify
someone).

Sporkupine

Thanks, SkipSanders, for looking that up...

So if I'm reading this right, MDC-1200 and MODAT (I don't know a lot about G-STAR, but I think it qualifies as an F3E emission), are fine as long as they're part of a voice tx. IOW, you can't just throw MDC-1200 around, but if it is "attached" to a voice message, it's fine...

MDC , Modat , GStar are all Unit Identifiers . They send a UID out and People with the encode/decode options would be able to see it on there Display . You can also use it to Page someone . I use it on the Ham Bands as well as P25 Digital . There are a lot of users that like using them .

Steve.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I got my MDC set up on my Spectra and Saber to send my "505" ID. Plus, with the "squawk" pre-empting my transmission, it ensures I've accessed the repeater and don't start talking before I have.

CommJunkie

Steve,

I tried hitting the repeater about 6am this morning on my way home from work in Exton with a portable, but no dice. What's the range on the repeater?

SCPD

QRT
I am new to the world of GMRS, I have a GMRS portable. I live in Honey Brook, think i could hit the repeater with a portable from Honey brook?

shield1751

Premium Subscriber
I have a GMRS rpt on 462.700 PL DPL465...it covers the entire city of Chester and souther Delco.

De KM3W WPWN390

Status
Not open for further replies.