• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Using repeaters with GMRS radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiz4769

I was talking to my brother about CBs and such and we got into GMRS radios. He has a few already and we are about to get a couple more pairs. We stumbled across the whole using repeaters to go further thing and well I want to know for sure that the models we get can do this. I use google search all the time, but I cant find any info on this, no radio has this in its description, it says all the features they have, but leave that off and I see older posts and such about some that were not "repeater capable".....

So for instance, the Midland GXT760VP4....can these use repeaters? Is it easy to do just by using the buttons and adding them and bam your tapped in? Im not talking about licenses and all that at this point, just the big picture are these and most new 36 mile type radios able to use repeaters with ease?

Dewey

I was talking to my brother about CBs and such and we got into GMRS radios. He has a few already and we are about to get a couple more pairs. We stumbled across the whole using repeaters to go further thing and well I want to know for sure that the models we get can do this. I use google search all the time, but I cant find any info on this, no radio has this in its description, it says all the features they have, but leave that off and I see older posts and such about some that were not "repeater capable".....

So for instance, the Midland GXT760VP4....can these use repeaters? Is it easy to do just by using the buttons and adding them and bam your tapped in? Im not talking about licenses and all that at this point, just the big picture are these and most new 36 mile type radios able to use repeaters with ease?

No, the Midland GXTs can not do repeater. The bottom line is that you are looking for radios that transmit on the non-interstitial 467 frequencies (467.550, 575, 600, 625, 650, 675, 700, & 725), and receive on 462. I don't think any of the bubble pack radios with do this.

Dewey

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
No, the Midland GXTs can not do repeater. The bottom line is that you are looking for radios that transmit on the non-interstitial 467 frequencies (467.550, 575, 600, 625, 650, 675, 700, & 725), and receive on 462. I don't think any of the bubble pack radios with do this.

Dewey

The motorola T7200 will. :)

n9zas

petey_racer

Premium Subscriber

n9zas
At this point I think that's the only bubble pack that will.

For repeater use you need a commercial type radio like an Icom F21. Very few radios will straight up say "repeater capable" since most people looking at them would already know what is or isn't capable.

petey_racer

Premium Subscriber
Is it easy to do just by using the buttons and adding them and bam your tapped in? Im not talking about licenses and all that at this point, just the big picture are these and most new 36 mile type radios able to use repeaters with ease?
I think you SHOULD be talking about licensing right from the start. If you have no plans to get a license then you have no plans to use a repeater.
Repeaters are private property, not some community service for anyone who feels like it to jump into.
Pretty much every one I have ever heard of requires a valid GMRS license and call sign at the very least. Many if not most require approval from the repeater owner.

Rarely is it as easy as "hitting a few buttons and bam you're tapped in".

Most Part95 commercial radios are only programmable by computer. This is so that not any old person can punch in any old frequency they want and start chatting. This is especially important since many of the freqs in that range are public safety freqs. Folks with no clue have NO PLACE messing around like that.

Also, sorry to say, all those mileage claims are absolute lies. Even in the best conditions you will not get even close to what is claimed.
Typically you will get 1-4 miles under ideal conditions, and 1/4-1 mile under normal conditions. I am NOT kidding either.

If you are serious about this I suggest you read up as much as possible. Do not rely on hearsay and rumors. Get the facts before you commit to anything. Sites like Popularwireless.com while slow these days are a wealth of information on the world of GMRS.

wiz4769

That was the point of asking this in here....I never said I wasnt going for a license, I just didnt want the thread filled with you gotta get a license , then do this and all that. I just wanted to know if it was possible before I even thought about getting one thats all. I also knew that they only went so far as well, I just meant the "36 mile" kind was what my brother was looking at so used it as an example. You took things too literally and that is why I said the big picture, very general.

Thanks to the others that answered the question asked, that is what I was looking for.

Last edited:

stevelton

I just want to touch on this a bit. There is no difference between a "36 mile" type, and a bubble pack that is claiming "15 miles". Under the hood they are basically the same radio. A bubble pack is a bubble pack.
Steven

Dewey

n9zas

I hear you, but try finding one... they're discontinued. Even Buy.com does not have them available anymore (Buy.com - Motorola T7200 2-Way GMRS/FRS Radio - Single). I suspect that there has been a "run" on them since they are on the endangered species list.

Dewey

Edit: I did find them at Wireless Pro, but $200 for a single bubble pack radio... NAWWWWW !!!!!. I would go Icom or one of the other names first.

Last edited:

petey_racer

Premium Subscriber
That was the point of asking this in here....I never said I wasnt going for a license, I just didnt want the thread filled with you gotta get a license , then do this and all that. I just wanted to know if it was possible before I even thought about getting one thats all. I also knew that they only went so far as well, I just meant the "36 mile" kind was what my brother was looking at so used it as an example. You took things too literally and that is why I said the big picture, very general.

Thanks to the others that answered the question asked, that is what I was looking for.
Sorry that you got offended by my post and that you think I did not give you any kind of answer. If you re-read it you will see that I did in fact.

Also, if you come on and make statements like this:
We stumbled across the whole using repeaters to go further thing and well I want to know for sure that the models we get can do this.
...it really sounds like you don't know much about them and think it is simply a matter of finding a radio that will work. Do you understand what I mean and see how this could be seen this way?

Also sorry that I did not get your hidden message in what you meant by "36 mile" and "big picture".

SkipSanders

Silent Key
There is much more to 'using a repeater' on GMRS than 'buying a bubblepack that can use repeaters'.

1) Locate a local repeater which has coverage of the area you want. (Good luck... there aren't many repeaters around)

2) If you find one, determine who runs it, and whether you'll be allowed to use it. ALL repeaters on GMRS are private, and require permission to (legally) use. The repeater owner is required to keep a written record of all Calllsigns/Stations allowed to use the repeater

Many repeaters are for the use of specific, restricted groups, and not open to general use.

3) If you now have a a repeater found that covers the area you want, and are allowed to use (there may be a fee, by the way), THEN you find out from the repeater owner what tones or other access means you need. Repeaters intended for general use tend to use single CTCSS tones, in the common group of those available to bubblepacks. Other repeaters deliberately do NOT use the 'common 38 CTCSS tones' that bubblepacks offer. There are at least 42 CTCSS tones recognized by commercial gear.
Really hostile repeaters will use 'split tone', where you must transmit/recieve a different CTCSS/DCS tone on the transmit and recieve channels to use the repeater.

Example: San Diego County. I know of 6 repeaters, there may be a 7th. The 6th and possible 7th are 'REACT' operated machines, on simple common CTCSS. Neither of them has any useful coverage of central San Diego, they're in the outer areas. The 5 repeaters with good coverage of San Diego are operated by a News Stringers group, and accessable only to that group's members. Split tones are used to keep pirates off.

In this area, if you wanted a 'repeater' for your bubblepack, you'd have to install one yourself, somewhere. This can be quite expensive. (Good radio sites can charge $1000/month for rackspace for a repeater around here).

Now, after all this, bear in mind the FCC's newly proposed rule changes appear to remove repeater use from GMRS completely. In a year, there may not BE any repeaters. Spending serious money on accessing one might be not a great idea till that gets cleared up.

MrBill1

rfradioconsult is correct. The Motorola MR355R DOES work with repeaters. I have two pair and use them daily.

People need to relax, it's only a forum.

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
There is much more to 'using a repeater' on GMRS than 'buying a bubblepack that can use repeaters'.

1) Locate a local repeater which has coverage of the area you want. (Good luck... there aren't many repeaters around)

2) If you find one, determine who runs it, and whether you'll be allowed to use it. ALL repeaters on GMRS are private, and require permission to (legally) use. The repeater owner is required to keep a written record of all Calllsigns/Stations allowed to use the repeater

Many repeaters are for the use of specific, restricted groups, and not open to general use.

3) If you now have a a repeater found that covers the area you want, and are allowed to use (there may be a fee, by the way), THEN you find out from the repeater owner what tones or other access means you need. Repeaters intended for general use tend to use single CTCSS tones, in the common group of those available to bubblepacks. Other repeaters deliberately do NOT use the 'common 38 CTCSS tones' that bubblepacks offer. There are at least 42 CTCSS tones recognized by commercial gear.
Really hostile repeaters will use 'split tone', where you must transmit/recieve a different CTCSS/DCS tone on the transmit and recieve channels to use the repeater.

Example: San Diego County. I know of 6 repeaters, there may be a 7th. The 6th and possible 7th are 'REACT' operated machines, on simple common CTCSS. Neither of them has any useful coverage of central San Diego, they're in the outer areas. The 5 repeaters with good coverage of San Diego are operated by a News Stringers group, and accessable only to that group's members. Split tones are used to keep pirates off.

In this area, if you wanted a 'repeater' for your bubblepack, you'd have to install one yourself, somewhere. This can be quite expensive. (Good radio sites can charge $1000/month for rackspace for a repeater around here).

Now, after all this, bear in mind the FCC's newly proposed rule changes appear to remove repeater use from GMRS completely. In a year, there may not BE any repeaters. Spending serious money on accessing one might be not a great idea till that gets cleared up.

Do you really think the thousands of gmrs repeater ops out there are going to shut down their machines after renewing their licenses and not to mention, all those hard earned $$$ They have invested in those repeaters??
Sorry,but I don't see to many law abiding citizens doing this,especially since the enforcement side of this coin is...not there.
This will be interesting,to say the least.
n9zas

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
could always just buy some used UHF equipment on Ebay for cheap. GP300, 350s ect all are going for dirt and will do pretty much what ever you want if you have someone that can program them.

jhooten

Sorry,but I don't see to many law abiding citizens doing this,especially since the enforcement side of this coin is...not there.

n9zas

WHAT?

If the operators don't follow the rules (laws) of the service ( just because they know the government won't do anything) then how are they "law abiding citizens"?

It's okay, it's not illegal because the laws aren't enforced. Yea,right.

Daniel_Boone

Banned due to duplicate accounts
Banned
That was kind of what I was wondering - if a person set one channel to transmit on and put the radio on scan and then was able to receive what ever was transmitted.

The T 7400 will scan and receive - but doesn't always hear what is not on a open frequency and you can't program it - I don't think to hear a certain tone can you? Maybe if it stops on a channel and tone that you have selected and in it's memory - but I don't know.

The big thing is - knowing which tone to use.
My radio has 99 or so frequency eliminator codes to choose from and several tones...

Spankymedic7

GMRS and Repeaters

Hello,

N9ZAS is correct in saying that the T7200 will operate on repeaters when programmed properly, and from what I've read on that radio, it's fairly easy to set that up.

"Im not talking about licenses and all that at this point, just the big picture are these and most new 36 mile type radios able to use repeaters with ease?"

As far as the aforementioned statement goes, I will caution you on repeater use. If that's what you're getting these radios for, then you have to be more responsible and "look at the big picture". Without reading most of the posts that others have left, I think it's safe to say that this was touched on already. I will say; however, that you will not be allowed to operate on ANY GMRS repeater without licensure...say nothing for the FCC, I'm talking just repeater owners. All repeater owners that I've dealt with have been very upfront on the "Do's and Don'ts" of repeater usage, and FCC GMRS licensure was always #1. If you're going to spend the $100-$200 for HTs that are repeater capable, then spend the additional $85 for the 5 year license, you'll be glad you did. Remember, your license WILL cover all IMMEDIATE BLOOD relatives, so the extra $85 is a relatively small expense, and one that will allow you to utilize these radios in the capacity that you desire.

Hope this helps.

gewecke

Banned
WHAT?

If the operators don't follow the rules (laws) of the service ( just because they know the government won't do anything) then how are they "law abiding citizens"?

It's okay, it's not illegal because the laws aren't enforced. Yea,right.

Well if they leave their repeaters on the air it's true they won't then be law abiding,but it becomes a judgment issue. IF the commission fails to take into account all of the LICENSED repeaters on the air without allowing a grace period for their licenses to expire,then what the hell good are they to begin with?? After all these people PAID for those licenses,RIGHT?
HOW can they enact new rule making without taking into account the PREVIOUS priviledges that they granted in the first place??
I can't say I would blame someone for leaving their machine in service until their license expires.
n9zas

SCPD

QRT
Skip,

I don't know you but you have alot of comments about GMRS but from the way I interpret the proposed rules it did not say repeaters were going to be banned but most of you posts it reads in that direction and after I re-read the proposed rules over and over it doesn't say they are doing away with repeaters but I know I will get feedback from this but read it for again yourself then comment about it,I know the way you come off about part 95 certified radios and so quick to comment about anything thats part 90 .

Status
Not open for further replies.