computer burnout...

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerface27

Dear rr admin, do you as a whole offer any support or feed back for someones computer whos crashed that runs a feed live 24/7.. unfortunately my computer crashed but ive been running it 24/7 for i dont know how long...I had to go and bye a new computer because my emachines is now 8 years old...but never ran it 24/7 until i started broadcasting live feed ....any suggestions

N8GXZ

You did good

Dear rr admin, do you as a whole offer any support or feed back for someones computer whos crashed that runs a feed live 24/7.. unfortunately my computer crashed but ive been running it 24/7 for i dont know how long...I had to go and bye a new computer because my emachines is now 8 years old...but never ran it 24/7 until i started broadcasting live feed ....any suggestions

You did good for an e-machine. Personally , I have mine up and running 24/7 and connected to a UPS backup PS What hurts electronics is turning on/off every day ,power surges and extreme heat . Heck after 8 years yer due for a new puter anyway

KB0VWG

Could be an easy fix

It could just be a bad hard drive or the power supply. I would repair the old for the feed and keep the new pc for other stuff.
kb0vwg

richtidd

Database Admin

Thanks for your support and providing your feed on RadioReference.com.

Sorry to hear about your computer problems.

Sorry to say the only official support we can provide is related to broadcasting the feed.

If you plan to be offline for more than 21 days, I can set your feed to not be system auto deleted for a while to give you time to get the feed back up. Let me know.

Otherwise, feed computers do not have to be new.

Good used PC's are available and far less expensive.

Lately, I have been using Thin Clients. All solid state.
These are cheep (e-bay approx $80-$150) but the imbeaded XPe OS make them are a bit unique in operation but do work well if you have the correctly configed machine.

K

kb0nly

those darn thin clients arent cheap though... I have been watching ebay for a year for the good ones that everyone recommends, the HP models, they have been going up and up and price, takes $60-80 to get a T5710 or 5720 with enough ram and flash.

PeterGV

K1PGV
those darn thin clients arent cheap though... I have been watching ebay for a year for the good ones that everyone recommends, the HP models, they have been going up and up and price, takes $60-80 to get a T5710 or 5720 with enough ram and flash.

Yeah, but they're commercial 24x7 quality machines. Built like a tank, and they're designed for passive cooling (no fan). The original price on a t5720 is something like $900, believe it or not. NEW thin clients are even more than that.

Peter
K1PGV

scannerface27

Thanks everybody true im glad to have kept it that long.....yes please rricchtd....put my feed on standby.. I have gotten a new computer it will be up and running by today hopefully.. but i do not want to use oddcast anymore. I would notice it would add encoders on its own while i was connected. what is the other one.. my new computer is an hp special edition...

Micke

Junk store computers

Don't overlook the junk stores, or thrift stores if you like that term better. As a ham radio operator I run an old computer on echolink and another for my scanner feed. Both were bought a few years ago for about $60 each. Monitors (old type) usually go for about $7. For my main computer I have a HP that's about 2 years old. It don't have to be expensive. I have been a member here for 9 years and this is my second post. I guess it's about time I gave something back to RR.
Mick (Yes, I always sign my posts. If you're paranoid get over it, no one is coming after you.)

K

kb0nly

Get RadioFeed! I got it running on both feeds here now, smooth running... From download to on the air took like five minutes.

vinzep491

Sorry to hear about your computer issues, and thanks for providing a feed.

Hopfully you're up and running again soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.