• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CDM1550LS Programming issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

N6RDT

Premium Subscriber
I have a CDM1550 LS. The problem is when it is mounted with remote head I cant program it. the software gives me a communication error. As soon as I put the control head back on the radio chassis it can program it just fine. Motorola tech support pulled on off the shelf to try to program it with the remote head and said it programs fine. Not sure why mine wont. Any Ideas.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
It requires "removal" of remote mount or ones that does not have remote head kit installed. Sometimes it says this when you buy the RJ45 programming cable. Its possible the tech programmed it using the accessory connector

N6RDT

Premium Subscriber
I told the Motorola tech over the phone that i was using a ribless rj45. So, if i understand you right, it does require the head to be mounted back on the radio to program it with the rj45? However if i use an accessory cable i can program it seperated?

N6RDT

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your help. that makes no sense to me why Motorola would besign it like that. But it is what it is. I guess need to get an accessory cable for my fleet.

CommJunkie

I have a rib box and programming cable for the control head i bought from Moto and I can program remote head CDMs just fine. Probably has something to do with ribless vs. rib box cables.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Exactly. If you use genuine motorola equipment you will have no problems.

Someone said that all these problems start with one sentence - "I bought a cable on ebay"

N6RDT

Premium Subscriber
Yes, The rib box and cable was purchaesed on e bay. Moto wants way to much for there cables, but, it is better to stick with genuine Moto parts. Just wish they werent so expensive. Thanks all

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Exactly. If you use genuine motorola equipment you will have no problems.

Someone said that all these problems start with one sentence - "I bought a cable on ebay"
I am having nearly the same problem trying to take care of our CDM1550LS+'s. I have the ribless RKN4081 serial to 10 pin RJ cable from Motorola. Unfortunately, my laptop runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit so I am having a devil of a time getting things to work. The computer does not have a serial port, just 3 USB's and a LAN port.

Everything appears normal right up to the moment that I try to read the radio when I get the dreaded "Can not read unknown radio component" error message.

The only USB to serial adapter I have at the moment is an inexpensive one that uses the Prolific chip set. The disc that they sent contains a bunch of drivers, but none of them seem to work. I even got the latest driver off the Prolific website and it doesn't help.

I installed the software on my wife's laptop that runs Vista. The computer won't load the adapter drivers, no matter what I try, but when I plug into the radio and try to read, it at least gives me the next step, the select port item, and then when I press OK, it just sits there and eventually gives me a check your cables error message.

Any thoughts? Any ideas about the serial to USB adapter? BTW, the Win 7 computer auto installs a generic driver when I connect it and checking through the Device Manager, it says it is OK.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Get a real serial port.
Is professional radio CPS even compatible with windows 7 yet?
With moto, you really can't deviate from their system requirements

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Get a real serial port.
Is professional radio CPS even compatible with windows 7 yet?
With moto, you really can't deviate from their system requirements
Not really an option to buy a fancier laptop at the moment. I am stuck with USB ports and am hoping that someone can point me at a better USB/serial adapter that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Over on the batboard, they are generally reporting that **IF** you can get your USB to serial problem solved, the latest release of the CPS seems to work OK. Best results are the folks with Win 7 Ultimate or Pro because those two versions support Virtual PC's XP mode. Others are getting mixed results, but mostly due to USB/serial issues.

They're also reporting that it runs fine in Win 7 32 bit. Now if I can just figure out how to force my machine to run 32 bit rather than 64 bit, I may have a fighting chance to get this done.

Somebody over there also reported that a Win 7 solution for the Pro CPS was in the pipeline, but no release date yet.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
LOL if your calling an old windows 95/98 fancy. I just bought an old windows 98 pc to run all moto

N6RDT

Premium Subscriber
Steveco625 I have an older desktop that is slow enough to communicate with the older Motorola stuff, but it has XP in it. Its better to find an older laptop with windows95 or 98 and rs232 serial ports. They are around and not much use to people other then us radio nerds.(I say that as a compliment,Yes im a radio nerd too, LOL) I also have an inexpensive usb to rs232 adapter. It works fine on all my CDM's on both windows XP and vista. It is not a Moto cable but one I got off of e bay. My only problem is not being able to program it with the radio remote mounted. Some of my fleet are Ford Explorers with limited space for bulky radios up front so I chose to remote mount those. I have a software license from Moto so I receceive the lastest updates on my software. So most of my new installs are using the newest version as I receive it. Good lucky Steve and keep in touch.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Steveco625 I have an older desktop that is slow enough to communicate with the older Motorola stuff, but it has XP in it.
My secret weapon is an old baby tower desktop with Win 98 on it and not much else. If all else fails, I will find an old monitor for it and a some kind of utility cart to put it on, and we'll just wheel it around the shop as needed. Might not be a bad way to go anyway as we'll have a Minitor V programming setup, too.

I did talk to Motorola customer service this morning. The gent there says they are getting a lot of calls about this specific problem. He also said that Motorola is working their way through all the CPS's to fix this problem as Win 7 is pretty much the de facto standard out there these days. He felt the fix was imminent but could not give any date.

He also recommended getting a brand name USB/Serial adapter and specifically mentioned IOgear and Belkin. They don't do computer advise there either so no installation tips or work-arounds from them.

Still interested to hear if anyone has any work-arounds. I would love to be able to boot my laptop in 32 bit mode, but am not sure how to do that. That might be a temporary fix.

isusbcya

Premium Subscriber
12.5 khz error message programming a CDM1550LS+

I read a code plug from a CDM-1550 LS+ VHF radio and when I try and reload the same codeplug data back to tthe radio I get an error stating that I cannot program this radio as the FCC only allows 12.5khz frequencies and to contact my motorola dealer for a 20/25 debatment code plug.
I don't understand what this means. If there is anyone that has a copy of such a codeplug can you email it to me at tfye@netzero.net. I have tried several times with different code plugs and nothing works. Was wondering if maybe I could use an older version of the software to program this radio.

isusbcya

Premium Subscriber
CPS will work on Windows 7. Thats what I am using. However the new versions will not work on the aftermarket ribless cables

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
I read a code plug from a CDM-1550 LS+ VHF radio and when I try and reload the same codeplug data back to tthe radio I get an error stating that I cannot program this radio as the FCC only allows 12.5khz frequencies and to contact my motorola dealer for a 20/25 debatment code plug.
I don't understand what this means. If there is anyone that has a copy of such a codeplug can you email it to me at tfye@netzero.net. I have tried several times with different code plugs and nothing works. Was wondering if maybe I could use an older version of the software to program this radio.
Go through all your personalities and set the Band Width for EVERY frequency to 12.5 khz. If they are ham or other non Part 90 frequencies, you will have to obtain an entitlement ID from Motorola to leave them wide band, provided you have a legit copy of the CPS. That can only be done through MOL.

Do a search on narrowband here. There are any number of threads describing it in detail. It was mandated in the early 1990's and agencies across the country have been preparing for it ever since. It went into effect a year ago.

Once you have programmed a CDM with a specific version of the CPS, you can not go backwards and use an older version.

Everything I have mentioned here has been discussed over and over here on RR. Use the search function and read up on anything you do not understand. The answers to all of your questions are already here for the reading.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
CPS will work on Windows 7. Thats what I am using. However the new versions will not work on the aftermarket ribless cables
I use aftermarket ribless cables every day with both the Professional CPS and the Commercial CPS on my Win 7 computer. Your statement is incorrect.

If you are getting comm port errors, don't just read the radio with the icon button. Click on File --> Read Device and you'll get a one-time window asking you to set the comm port. Then you should be fine.

I will repeat my previous recommendation. EVERYTHING you have brought up has been discussed and answered here several times over, especially the Motorola specific stuff. Use the search function and read up on all these things. There is a ton of info here to be had.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

The newer software will not permit you to program the radios with wide band channels. This was done in answer to the FCC mandated narrow banding that happened January 01, 2013. Since the FCC has mandated that almost all Part 90 frequencies in the VHF and UHF band must be 12.5KHz narrow band, there shouldn't be any reason to program wide band channels into a CDM….
Unless you are using it for Amateur radio, Marine VHF, GMRS, etc. There is a way around this, however. Sticking with the older software is the easiest solution. If you can get a hold of the older software versions, it will let you program it with wide band (20 or 25KHz wide channels).
The other solution is to contact Motorola, they have a piece of software that they can provide that will let you program your wide band channels.

Just be aware, unless you are using the radio for Amateur Radio, GMRS, etc. you should only be using narrow band channels in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.