WBCQ, 7415khz, 5110khz... how's your reception?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mondomusique

US shortwave station WBCQ 'The Planet' out of Monticello Maine USA has been featured several times in Monitoring Times magazine and is an interesting story to say the least, as one of the few private US shortwave stations and having its roots in pirate broadcasting.

That said, they are not outfitted with the kind of transmitters and antennas of the bigger national shortwave broadcasters, and can be a more difficult catch even if you are in their broadcast path.

My own reception of WBCQ has been the 7415khz signal is fine in the late afternoon but as the sun goes down China Radio International mixes on the same frequncy propagating from the east, making WBCQ unlistenable through dusk and in night conditions I am not hearing WBCQ at all. On 5110khz (their 'Area 51' programming as they call it) I was not able to hear at all ...until this weekend I put more wire on my Wellbrook ALA-100M antenna. Now with a 25' copper wire loop I heard 5110khz on Sunday evening, a just listenable signal but I am on the back side of their antennas, many say they cannot hear 5110khz at all.

Just curious if other east coasters, midwesterners or elsewhere are hearing WBCQ on 7415 and 5110khz.

Keith_W7KEW

A lot of your reception is going to depend on propagation conditions. I have caught them on 7415 here in Oregon when conditions are right. Do you some reading up on propagation if you have not already.

I catch them in the early evenings on 7415 - 5110 (Area-51)only broadcasts on weekends I believe, in the evening time. I listen in on the "Zappa" show, Allan Wiener World Wide, Radio Jamba, and Radio TimTron. I get excellent reception into Central Ohio, on my r75 w/ a vertical antenna.

Steven

mondomusique

I get them on 5110khz at night. It is a challenge and the only DX I have logged where I have to use SSB. They are always slightly off frequency there-like 5109.97on both the r75 and 71A (so I know it aint me:D)
YouTube - WBCQ "The Planet"

That 100 foot longwire is doing you some good!

Here's the WBCQ 5110khz predicted signal coverage map from their wesite:

2010-06-5110.gif

ridgescan

Thanks mondo:) actually that vid was off my old 50' wire-I have to try for 5110 on the 100' to see if there is any improvement.
That is a cool thing you put up showing their signal path. I must be getting a crumb off that last westward blurb that covers Baja:D

drbecker

Signal update

Hi All,

This weekend we experienced a small problem with our 5105 main transmitter. The main tx was shut down and we were on our backup tx which is a BC-610.

The prob is already fixed and we don't expect any probs this weekend.

On another note... If propagation is subpar where ever in the world you are, you can download our free toolbar
at:

BECKER BROADCASTER Toolbar Download

Which has a built in radio player that is Directly linked to our in-house studio feed which is taken directly off
our main studio console board plus much MUCH more.

If you have any questions about the ins and outs of WBCQ, Feel free to ask here and Ill keep anyone who wants to know updated.

Cheers to all,
FFFR

Dr Scott Becker
WBCQ The Planet
:)

mondomusique

Dr Becker:

I have a couple of questions...

-How many watts does the 7415khz transmitter run and how many watts does 5110khz run?

-Do all the WBCQ shortwave antennas propagate equally front and back?

That's all I have for now..

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Wbcq

US shortwave station WBCQ 'The Planet' out of Monticello Maine USA has been featured several times in Monitoring Times magazine and is an interesting story to say the least, as one of the few private US shortwave stations and having its roots in pirate broadcasting.

That said, they are not outfitted with the kind of transmitters and antennas of the bigger national shortwave broadcasters, and can be a more difficult catch even if you are in their broadcast path.

My own reception of WBCQ has been the 7415khz signal is fine in the late afternoon but as the sun goes down China Radio International mixes on the same frequncy propagating from the east, making WBCQ unlistenable through dusk and in night conditions I am not hearing WBCQ at all. On 5110khz (their 'Area 51' programming as they call it) I was not able to hear at all ...until this weekend I put more wire on my Wellbrook ALA-100M antenna. Now with a 25' copper wire loop I heard 5110khz on Sunday evening, a just listenable signal but I am on the back side of their antennas, many say they cannot hear 5110khz at all.

Just curious if other east coasters, midwesterners or elsewhere are hearing WBCQ on 7415 and 5110khz.
2300 UTC

WBCQ on 7415 just signed off the air, I get it on my Icom R75 with 100 ft of wire out on my balcony facing north. The signal is very strong S-20 and very clear.
Steve

ridgescan

7415 is coming in pretty good here outside Philadelphia. The signals S-9 but a bit noisy.

Sal
Exact same copy here:) I have a question for the good Doctor-why is reception so good on 7415, but so challenging like a 1000 watt pirate station on 5110 (when it's working) are there two different antenna systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.