Sarasota County S.O encrypted talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradpradio7420

Premium Subscriber
i was listening to Sarasota County S.O and my scanner stopped on S.O talkgroup E-9 which is a S.I.B group i noticed some of the units transmitting in the clear and other were using some form of encryption,does anybody know if any other talkgroups on the system are using this encyption or why some units are encrypted while others are talking in the clear, also does anybody know what type of encryption is being used.i know the encryption is kind of new on this system cause up untill about 3 months ago i was hearing all groups including detective and S.I.B and C.I.B groups in the clear.

Eznuff575

Premium Subscriber
SSO has had a few talkgroups encrypted for years, they also can enable it on any talkgroup at any time. for some to be in the clear ad some encrypted the radios are made to decode if it is not enabled on that users radio. Thankfully they only use it for some stakeout operations. As for what type, that is unclear to me.
It is also a rumor for very reliable source that Sarasota is looking to upgrade to a P25 system in the next 2 to 3 years in the 700 Mhz range. I also hear Manatee is shopping for a P25 system in the near future.

Doug

bradpradio7420

Premium Subscriber
SSO has had a few talkgroups encrypted for years, they also can enable it on any talkgroup at any time. for some to be in the clear ad some encrypted the radios are made to decode if it is not enabled on that users radio. Thankfully they only use it for some stakeout operations. As for what type, that is unclear to me.
It is also a rumor for very reliable source that Sarasota is looking to upgrade to a P25 system in the next 2 to 3 years in the 700 Mhz range. I also hear Manatee is shopping for a P25 system in the near future.

Doug

why is sarasota looking into 700mghz when the 800mghz system seems to work great, they are already in compliance with the federal mandate to go digital by 2013. if they do upgrade is there any mention of weather or not they will remain in the clear or are they going to encrypt. as far as manatee county i heard the same thing that they are looking into p25.a friend of mine at Harris said this was due to the massive problems with the PROVOICE system. do you know if they are going to stick with Harris or are they considering motorola or some other vendor? also do you have any idea if Manatee is still hell bent on encryption or did they decide it isnt worth it after all the PROVOICE problems

Eznuff575

Premium Subscriber
why is sarasota looking into 700mghz when the 800mghz system seems to work great, they are already in compliance with the federal mandate to go digital by 2013. if they do upgrade is there any mention of weather or not they will remain in the clear or are they going to encrypt. as far as manatee county i heard the same thing that they are looking into p25.a friend of mine at Harris said this was due to the massive problems with the PROVOICE system. do you know if they are going to stick with Harris or are they considering motorola or some other vendor? also do you have any idea if Manatee is still hell bent on encryption or did they decide it isnt worth it after all the PROVOICE problems

I think Manatee county is looking just to go digital with some encryption. As for Sarasota, I think it is just a sales person that is feeding them a line of BS, but I know Charlotte County is upgrading to a P25 system soon. It just makes sense for interops between the counties if the all are P25. I will keep my ear to the ground and ask my sourse some questions and get back to you with some more answers.

Doug

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Also, there is no federal digital mandate. There is a narrowbanding mandate, but no digital mandate. The radio sales folk would have everyone believe otherwise though.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
why some units are encrypted while others are talking in the clear, also does anybody know what type of encryption is being used.

The ones that are in the clear have not flipped their encryption switch to ON.

They are all encryption capable and have the proper encryption keys loaded but sometimes officers just forget to flip that switch.

If they do forget, they'll still receive the encrypted transmission and the encrypted radios will hear them fine as well.

Could be DES-OFB or AES encryption.

The choice whether encryption is used is decided on a per radio basis. Nobody can flip a switch and enable encryption on the whole talkgroup.

Sometimes the radio shop will force a radio to be encryption on a certain talkgroup when the radio is programmed.

In your case, the radio shop has allowed the officers to decide whether they'll use encryption.

mrhamradio

Premium Subscriber
Ok guys. Looking at getting a new scanner this week. Been to Radio Shack and looked at the handhelds and mobile units. What would be the one I would get to be able to use it here in Sarasota county? Would like to be able to hear SPD, SSO and county fire, plus would like to be able to listen to regular stuff on normal repeaters and simplex stuff on VHF and UHF. I would prefer the mobile unit myself. Now, the question is, do they come with a software programming or is it all manual entry? When I was there last weekend trying to get information and prices, the guy didn't know much about them, but offered to sell me a cell phone that could listen to RR for scanner feeds...go figure. Anyway, any information would be helpful such as a current model or such.
Thanks for the help in advance.

Eznuff575

Premium Subscriber
Ok guys. Looking at getting a new scanner this week. Been to Radio Shack and looked at the handhelds and mobile units. What would be the one I would get to be able to use it here in Sarasota county? Would like to be able to hear SPD, SSO and county fire, plus would like to be able to listen to regular stuff on normal repeaters and simplex stuff on VHF and UHF. I would prefer the mobile unit myself. Now, the question is, do they come with a software programming or is it all manual entry? When I was there last weekend trying to get information and prices, the guy didn't know much about them, but offered to sell me a cell phone that could listen to RR for scanner feeds...go figure. Anyway, any information would be helpful such as a current model or such.
Thanks for the help in advance.
Come see me at Radio Shack on University and Lockwood Ridge. I program all the scanners I sell there.

Doug

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Eznuff575

Premium Subscriber
It showed up in my feed as new today...LOL. I didn't look at the date

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

N2UJZ

Premium Subscriber
Regarding SSO Encryption

Two weeks ago,I sent SSO an email regarding the issue and asked for them to call or email me. Several days later I got a knock on the door. He left a business card. It was a Detective from their Intelligence Section. He was interested in how I listen and what I can hear. He was very nice... he said we would be seeing more encryption in the future.So i tried to explain a bit about how their current radio system works.

I made some very good points... I totally understand their need for privacy and suggested using the encryptiion on an as needed basis. But turning it on for the entire system would be a bad idea. Most people with scanners are here providing extra eves on the ground for every BOLO, Hit and run drivers, stolen cars, etc. We're not out committing burglaries or stealing cars.

Also sent him a screenshot showing that with the sheer amount of traffic on the system, To any criminal a scanner is pretty useless even without encryption since it is often jumping channels and its pretty much impossible to monitor everything (Unless you are a hard core radio geek :p) He said he didn't mind me & my cats listening "Just want to be sure you don't go showing up at any crime scenes" I laughed and replied "Thats funny because I actually use the scanner to avoid them!"

Right after I hung up there was a long enc transmission on C8,,, lol. At the end he seemed to understand my points. Only C8 (thats where he was) and E10 are almost always encrypted.

Yesterday D7 was all encrypted except one. He said his radio was broken and he couldn't hear anyone else. Even after he got it fixed last night , today still all units are in the clear on D7. I hope they take my advice. Or else they might as well drop the "O" from "SSO" We have a right to now what goes on in our community in real time, without being filtered by the news. That said, I understand sometimes they need privacy.

-Justin N2UJZ

PS I've also heard a lot of units switching from encrypted channel to A1 dispatch. The dispatcher says "Tour scramble is on. You'll have to turn it off and 10-9 your last" Then they forget to turn it back on on going back to the tac/ ops channel (Maybe what you heard was on of those times)

Status
Not open for further replies.