Firefox 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
So today i started having problems with FF 4 that i have not had before.
After refreshing my Gmail i noticed that it was defaulting to HTML, then i started noticing that FF was unable to load any of my addons, unable to press enter for a URL, could not search anything in the default search in the top right (said i had no seach engine installed), and would not go to my homepage on startup. I tried FF in "Safe mode" and all was fine. I deleted the profile and that did not help.

Never seen FF do this before. Im now having to go back to 3.6 in order for anything to work correctly.

hoser147

Glad you posted this Im still running 3.6 seems like there are issues after every update. It seems like after going to 3.6 I picked up more redirects upon searches however. Good Luck and Thanks.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
What makes it so crazy is it was working ok for part of the day and literally it just stopped working all together; but it will work ok in safe mode...crazy

I have had 4 for about a week, and personally i hate it and i dont see where its faster, its actually been slower for me.

puzzleriddle

I've been running it (ff4)( since day 1 with W 7 64bit Home premium all my normal add ons with no problems what so ever ??:)

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Maybe Google wants you to use their Chrome browser instead and "blew up" FF when you went to GMail. I steer very clear of Google these days. FF4 is working dandy for me on several installs.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
OK, well i deleted the profile settings while 3.6 was installed then i reinstalled 4 and it appears to be working now. Very weird because i have done this all day and it would not work at all.

Anyhow, FF 4 still seems slower to me that 3.6

Google will rule the world soon.

jerry092975

Im running FF 4 in my laptop with windows vista 64bit and desktop with windows media center edition 64bit and it's working fine even with all of my add on's but im still using FF 3.6.2 in both feed servers for now.

AceWeb

No issues with FF4; there were 2 addons that had to be disabled when I installed it. Other than that it is good. The only thing I noticed is that when putting a flash video (i.e. youtube) into full screen mode freezes a frame in the vid for just 1 second. Other than that, no issues. Perhaps one of your other addons are unstable and causing issues? If so, disable and enable one by one.

N9JIG

Sheriff
FireFox 4.x seems to work just fine for me. I had to disable an add-on (don't remember what it was...) but otherwise it worked just fine. It retained the homepage, search provider and all my bookmarks with no issues.

Of course this was on the Mac, so it is expected to work fine...

neondesert

Premium Subscriber
FireFox 4.x seems to work just fine for me. I had to disable an add-on (don't remember what it was...) but otherwise it worked just fine. It retained the homepage, search provider and all my bookmarks with no issues.

FWIW, I've been running FF4 since the final RC on a 64bit Windows 7 machine with zero problems. ;)

Of course this was on the Mac, so it is expected to work fine...
Owww...cheap shot there! :) However, for what a Mac costs it better work fine! :lol:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Ff4

I am running FF4 under XP Pro and have witnessed a lot of issues with it. It seems to be a memory hog. For those with tons of RAM I can see they might not have issues.

I've noticed that even when I close the program entirely after doing something that used a lot of memory it will remain active in task manager/etc until it is done despooling the memory used. If you close the program and then try to open it quickly while this is happening, you'll get a message that FF is still running.

I've had situations where the program seems to hang for 30 minutes or so but then eventually gets itself back. I'd be interested to hear how much RAM people have that are having troubles and who are not having troubles (which also depends on your OS) as that could confirm my hunch.

neondesert

Premium Subscriber
I am running FF4 under XP Pro and have witnessed a lot of issues with it. It seems to be a memory hog. For those with tons of RAM I can see they might not have issues.

I've noticed that even when I close the program entirely after doing something that used a lot of memory it will remain active in task manager/etc until it is done despooling the memory used. If you close the program and then try to open it quickly while this is happening, you'll get a message that FF is still running.

I've had situations where the program seems to hang for 30 minutes or so but then eventually gets itself back. I'd be interested to hear how much RAM people have that are having troubles and who are not having troubles (which also depends on your OS) as that could confirm my hunch.

Running Windows 7 64bit with 4gigs of RAM and I don't experience any of the memory/hang issues you are having.

I don't feel that 4gigs is "tons" of memory considering the cost of RAM these days. JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.