• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What transciever should I buy for both VHF/UHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfordfire

Feed Provider
Hello All,

New to the forums, not sure what area to post this. I just started working for a rural fire department that uses vhf and the police department we interact with uses uhf. Can anyone suggest a good portable radio at least 5W that would be suited for use while Im on duty. Ive looked at Yeasu and ICOM and there are alot of radios out there. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Jim

n5ims

Please note that any radio you would use to communicate with the Police Department or Fire Department must be certified for part 90 operation or you may face a $10,000 fine for each time it is used and possibly even cause the associated license to be revoked by the FCC. Normal amateur radios will not have this certification and shouldn't be used, eventhough you may be able to modify them so they transmit on those frequencies. It's also important that you get written permission (not just an OK by someone in the department) prior to using a personal radio on one of their frequencies (the licenses are granted with a maximum number of units allowed). OK, that should satisfy the Radio Reference Police.

Most of the radios that can legally operate on the public service bands will not work on more than one band and generally those that will are quite expensive (for example, the Motorola APX is about $7,000 each). One cost effective option that is legal (and is less than many of the other dual band ham radios that aren't legal) is the Wouxun series (Wouxun KG-UVD1P - KG-UV2D - KG-UV920R Mobile Transceiver) which run just over $100 US and are part 90 certified. There are 3 models of handhelds so you'll need to pick the one that covers the UHF frequencies for your departments.

elk2370bruce

Normally, fire service radios are issued by your fire district or must be pre-authorized if you try to put your own radio on the system. Stay away from amateur gear entirely. While the Wouxun units will work, PL's splits, and narrow band settings are critical. FCC rules for Part 90 systems and licensing of agencies can be a tricky business Like they say on Mythbusters, "Don Try This At Home". If you follow the rules and recommendations shown here, it will be safer than just doing your own thing.

waterfordfire

Feed Provider
I appreciate the constant reminders about fcc this and that, my department is fine with me getting my own radio. Im just looking for radio help not reminders about laws that I already know. Thanks

The Wouxun dual-band VHF/UHF portable is FCC approved for Part 90 use and can be found at numerous location on the internet for around $125.00 new.

Your Chief can give you permission for your personal radio, but cannot grant permission to violate FCC Rules. In the event the FCC pays your agency a visit and finds illegal radios, both you and the Chief would most likely be looking elsewere for employment.

elk2370bruce

I appreciate the constant reminders about fcc this and that, my department is fine with me getting my own radio. Im just looking for radio help not reminders about laws that I already know. Thanks

If that is the case, make sure you get that in writing on department letterhead before you do anything. We keep reminding you of what "you already know "so well because we also "know" what has happened in the past around the country. Do you?

waterfordfire

Feed Provider
Ok once again I will state I have NO intention of breaking FCC rules, Im just looking for information, if anyone else wants to ramble on about laws then please dont bother posting.

The Wouxun dual-band VHF/UHF portable is FCC approved for Part 90 use and can be found at numerous location on the internet for around $125.00 new.

Your Chief can give you permission for your personal radio, but cannot grant permission to violate FCC Rules. In the event the FCC pays your agency a visit and finds illegal radios, both you and the Chief would most likely be looking elsewere for employment.

W2NJS

The direct answer to your original question is that there are two portables that are FCC certified for Part 90 use. One is the Wouxoun for about $125.00, and other one is the Motorola APX7000 which will cost you between $4,500 and $9,000, depending on the features you order/want/need on the radio. Now, since you know all the other answers and factors involved in solving your problem you can get on with getting yourself a dual band radio that meets your needs without any further help from the members of this Board.

waterfordfire

Feed Provider
Thats the plan!!!

The direct answer to your original question is that there are two portables that are FCC certified for Part 90 use. One is the Wouxoun for about $125.00, and other one is the Motorola APX7000 which will cost you between $4,500 and $9,000, depending on the features you order/want/need on the radio. Now, since you know all the other answers and factors involved in solving your problem you can get on with getting yourself a dual band radio that meets your needs without any further help from the members of this Board.

If you already were aware of the requirements why would you waste the time of the almost 300 folks that took the time to read your useless post and the few who ventured to offer assistance who you belittled their answers.

Cskib32087

Well welcome to the forums. As you found out everyone is going to put what they think you need to know even if it not what you asked, it happens with every post not just yours.
It is sad that people need to post crap like that.

Welcome anyway and good luck

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber

If you already knew about the laws, then I have to ask why you mentioned that you had looked at the Yaesu and Icom? As far as I know, the only dualbanders they make are not type accepted for Part 90. I've also read that not all of the ham transmitters can transmit at narrowband deviation either...and you'll need that by 2013 anyway.

The direct answer to your original question is that there are two portables that are FCC certified for Part 90 use. One is the Wouxoun for about $125.00, and other one is the Motorola APX7000 which will cost you between $4,500 and $9,000,

Not true, there is also the Harris Unity and the Thales Liberty. Both are in the same price class as the Motorola though.

Well welcome to the forums. As you found out everyone is going to put what they think you need to know even if it not what you asked, it happens with every post not just yours.
It is sad that people need to post crap like that.

It's not sad. It's important that people be educated as the to the laws that apply to the radio services. This forum is "Industry Discussion". Those in the industry who are familar with the laws should educate those who are not. We have type acceptance rules for a reason - to keep poor transmitters from splattering across the bands, interfering with adjacent channels, and receiving interference from adjacent channels.

shebba123

So firefighter can buy there own radio if they choose to do so?

As long as they get written consent from the fire chief?

Status
Not open for further replies.