Narrowband on Uniden BCT15

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynskey85

Feed Provider
Some questions about the narrowband capabilities of the BCT15 scanner following the move we just made in my town to Narrowband.

I will start out with the Modulation option. There is Auto, FM, NFM, and WFM. Common sense told me to reprogram my scanner to have the my local channels in NFM. Upon doing this I immediately noticed a significant drop in the modulation. Putting it back to Auto I found that this modulation came back. Ironically, while in Auto, the scanner is recognizing it as NFM. It should be noted that when I say "came back" it was still less than previously in Narrowband, but forcing it to NFM made it near inaudible. I can also confirm that the system in my town is 12.5 kHz narrowband as I was directly involved in the reprogramming.

Therefore my question would be if Auto senses it to be NFM, why is there such a significant difference in moducation when I set it to default to NFM?

Also, what is the difference between FM and WFM?

How does everyone else deal with Narrowband channels in their area? Do you leave it on Auto, do you put it on NFM, something else?

Up until this past week there has only been 2 or 3 narrowband frequencies in my area, so its nothing I've really looked into.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I use "NFM" here in my area on my Unidens on VHF and UHF, then if the audio is low just press-F-5 and go to the next "audio level"....that increase sure helps the new 7.5 narrow band freqys they must use now in the future....You sure don't want to use "WFM" as its more for FM radio stations....

lynskey85

Feed Provider
Not really sure what you mean by F-5 or audio level.

F-5 I assume you mean Function? Function 5 on my scanner is a search bank.

I see nothing anywhere about audio level as a setting in the scanner or software.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Im sorry i thought you had the Uniden15X, that you can increase the low volume people using Function 5-LVL on the "15X" on the keypad.....

Status
Not open for further replies.